Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is EXACTLY why Ive avoided the dunes! You hear and see mishaps ALL the time in the mountains/woods, but most of them the drivers can walk away from, but it's becoming synonymous between dune-riding and getting a medivac to your local hospital. Are these people EVER gonna learn??? Whats everyone say the definition of insanity is; doing the same thing over & over again and expecting different results...please give me a break.
Well, to be fair, on busy holiday weekends there can be 100,000 people at Glamis. Back 5 years ago think they said 200,000 over the thanksgiving weekend.
So thats like a medium to large city. Not unusual to see a medivac's or much worse on a weekend, in a city of 100,000+ people. Along with many ambulance rides to the hospital for road accident victims. And that is without everybody racing/ driving off road, in steep huge dunes. Just normal every day life.
It really is amazing there are not a lot lot more accidents in the dunes imo.

For someone like yourself, strapped in a RZR, that has some 'not so common' sense and fear of the unknown, you'd be fine and never have a problem more than likely. Its the people that go out with no fear, no experience and don't know what they're doing, then crash off a 60 foot drop off, or slam into a witch's eye at high speed not following behind an experienced leader. Those are the majority of the Glamis accidents that wind up in a medivac flight.

Then we do have the type of accidents that happen surprisingly a lot less often. Mostly when hanging around Olds hill on a busy day/nite, a quad or another sandcar/SxS getting hit by one of the same, that doesn't see each other for whatever insufficient reason... Seems to be the sandcars fault more times than not.
I like to stay away from racing up the hill numerous times when its busy. And stay away from the north end, where the sandcars hang at. And then there is the drunk people factor to add in on crowded holiday weekends... kind of like a big city on Friday nite, on the roads.

You're missing out on some of the best you can do in your RZR not going to the dunes, imo. Especially since Glamis is close to you. I've driven an rzr and atv's in probably every different terrain you can find. And the dunes feels like the perfect match... almost like they were made for that sole purpose, they work so well out in the dunes. You should really at least try it once and see if its for you. You won't have much cleaning up to do afterwards...

Here is a pic of Olds hill on a Holiday weekend nite...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
We go to the dunes 2-3 times a year. Would be more but its a bit of a drive from Colorado. Just be smart about where and how you ride. Dont crest a dune straight on, always turn. Assume that everyone is drunk after dark.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
We drove to Waynoka Fri. evening during Sandfest. Got there about 6pm and left at 11pm. We jumped into a few RZR trains and had a freak'n blast!! I felt safer that way than out by ourselves. I'm definatly getting an L.E.D. flag pole. At Dusk and Dark you can't miss them. Bought our first UTV this year and with Waynoka only 3 hrs away we've been there 5 times this year, I'm hooked on the Dunes!! :) :ride:

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's surprising to see such a quote from a fellow OHV'er. That is the attitude that the greenies use to close off public land because they "hear" about a minute slice of something, and form an incorrect and unchangeable opinion without fully understanding the entire picture.

ANYTHING can be "unsafe", including walking down the street, if you don't know what you are doing. The same goes with dunes. It's not the act of duning, it's the "how" it's done. There are some very basic rules to duning, that were developed many years ago, and if you follow them, you are going to have fun, and not get a very expensive helicopter ride. These are pretty simple, and include such things as never going over a dune that you can't see the other side of, even if you "think" you know what's on the other side, of following in the tracks of the person right in front of you, never jumping without a spotter, etc.

Funny thing about those rules, is to follow them, it fosters proper duning technique. Example, to see what's on the other side of a dune, you have to approach the crest at a very shallow angle, which makes the transition to the other side smooth and controlled, versus a perpendicular approach which can lead to very bad things.

Unfortunately, new technology has made it ever easier for a "newbie" to get into the dunes with a machine that has capabilities to hide a lot of their technical mistakes. The power in most sand cars and quads today allow them to take lines that are contrary to smart duning techniques, and they show up in places where others do not expect them. So it's important to keep your head constantly moving, looking for others.

And of course, there is always the alcohol and "show off" factors. Whenever there is a large congregation of people, there will be some who have to say "look at me", often aided by liquid courage, and do dumb things like wheelieing across the face of a very busy hill climb area. Solution: stay away from the circus, or sit back a long way and watch the competition of stupidity.

You can't stop stupid, but you can certainly recognize it, and do your best to avoid it. If you're going to dune (which is the most fun you can have with your clothes on btw!), start out with a group who knows what they are doing. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Great thread, I've been duning my whole life and that has lead to a broken arm and a broken nose, the arm when I was @ 6 riding double with an uncle on a 3 wheeler & the nose when I was @ 18 jumping my quad with no helmet on to show off for some girls! I've wrecked a lot of tines but that is the extent of my injuries, no collisions, knock on wood! I love the dunes its the reason I bought my xp & have put a small fortune into it! I do say there are a lot of idiots out there, but they're also driving up & down the same streets you are regardless, you still have to watch our for them! Happy duning!

·
Registered
601 Posts
This is EXACTLY why Ive avoided the dunes! You hear and see mishaps ALL the time in the mountains/woods, but most of them the drivers can walk away from, but it's becoming synonymous between dune-riding and getting a medivac to your local hospital. Are these people EVER gonna learn??? Whats everyone say the definition of insanity is; doing the same thing over & over again and expecting different results...please give me a break.
Well, to be fair, on busy holiday weekends there can be 100,000 people at Glamis. Back 5 years ago think they said 200,000 over the thanksgiving weekend.
So thats like a medium to large city. Not unusual to see a medivac's or much worse on a weekend, in a city of 100,000+ people. Along with many ambulance rides to the hospital for road accident victims. And that is without everybody racing/ driving off road, in steep huge dunes. Just normal every day life.
It really is amazing there are not a lot lot more accidents in the dunes imo.

For someone like yourself, strapped in a RZR, that has some 'not so common' sense and fear of the unknown, you'd be fine and never have a problem more than likely. Its the people that go out with no fear, no experience and don't know what they're doing, then crash off a 60 foot drop off, or slam into a witch's eye at high speed not following behind an experienced leader. Those are the majority of the Glamis accidents that wind up in a medivac flight.

Then we do have the type of accidents that happen surprisingly a lot less often. Mostly when hanging around Olds hill on a busy day/nite, a quad or another sandcar/SxS getting hit by one of the same, that doesn't see each other for whatever insufficient reason... Seems to be the sandcars fault more times than not.
I like to stay away from racing up the hill numerous times when its busy. And stay away from the north end, where the sandcars hang at. And then there is the drunk people factor to add in on crowded holiday weekends... kind of like a big city on Friday nite, on the roads.

You're missing out on some of the best you can do in your RZR not going to the dunes, imo. Especially since Glamis is close to you. I've driven an rzr and atv's in probably every different terrain you can find. And the dunes feels like the perfect match... almost like they were made for that sole purpose, they work so well out in the dunes. You should really at least try it once and see if its for you. You won't have much cleaning up to do afterwards...

Here is a pic of Olds hill on a Holiday weekend nite...

good thing I have a magnafying glass! lol

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have never done the dunes but would like to try it once. I know once you go there you want to go there all the time probably. That picture is insane. There is no way I would do the dunes on a holiday if they are like that. I would do a couple of week days first to break myself in (or maybe just break something period :rofl3:) then maybe try some off weekends and see how it goes. I would like to go and watch everyone on a holiday just to witness all the stuff I have heard of.

Insanity is one of my friends favorite words after he gets back from a holiday weekend at Glami. "IT WAS INSANE"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is there anyone else that cannot wait until their first trip the Glamis after reading this post? 11 days and we will be in the DUNES for the HOT trip of the season!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts