Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna here from you trail riders out there. I'm moving back to AL soon and I'll be in the thick woods with tight trails and corners. S or no S? If I go standard I'm gonna upgrade tires and wheels, shocks....just keep it narrow. If I went with the S I wouldn't do anything to it....Help me out here. Haven't gotten much response in other threads. Thanks guys

·
2010 RZR-S 130 hp Weber
185 Posts
Many people have asked this question.. ""Its all about what suits you and what you like??"" Talk to locals or even try to hook up with someone who rides your area and knows the trails see what the consensus is in your area. I knew what I was getting into before I bought the S. I ride mainly trails and bought the S because it looked awesome and it handled better than the standard version. Yes at times its an inconvenience I do have problems with tight spots or tunnels but I managed to get by or go around. Not once even in the tight spots do I wish I had the standard version. Because all the other fun I have with it makes up for the problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know how the trails are down there in al but I ride in a lot of tight rocky trails up here in CT.
I personally like the standard rzr because the money I saved not buying the S I went ahead and got my lift kit,tire package,etc. etc. Hopefully some progressive rate springs soon.
To me the S isn't worth it unless your riding in the dunes or in open areas where you can just go for miles.
I rode for 3 hrs the other day on the clock of my rzr and did 21 miles.....gives you an idea of the type of riding I am doing haha.
I only got stuck once too and spent about 15 min getting myself out w/winch.

·
Registered
689 Posts
90% of the riding I do is in the woods. Tight trails aren't a problem as long as you are paying attention. For my money you can't beat the "S" as a trail machine, more power then the standard RZR with a smoother ride....two thumbs up!
Go with an "S"

·
Registered
517 Posts
I drive both and prefer the s to the standard, both are driven in the white mountains of Arizona.... some tight trails

·
Registered
578 Posts
will the s fit in the areas that you will ride in? i just got the new 11 s and love it but i spend more time in open areas like the sand dunes of glamis. my buddy has had his standard rzr for about 3-4 yrs. upgraded shocks and tires have been just fine. plus with the new standard rzr you will have the high output 800. if narrow is what you need then that's what i would get. just not the "le" it's a waist of extra money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
buy a 2009 rzr for cheap......then do Turbo and LT suspension.......only way to go!

This will cost a little more but will blow the doors off an S.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
You will probably end up with some kind of long travel if you get a standard. I started with a standard because we ride a lot of tight trails.. Ended up with new shocks then a Plus four. With the plus four I scrub my back tires on stuff a lot more. So far I've ripped off a Center cap on one wheel and cut a sidewall on another. But IMO its worth it. Much more stable and on trails with rocks ruts and washouts the extra width really helps.
As far as a S or not.. Thats hard to say. I really like my plus four cause I'm not as wide as an S, But I have the wheel travel and ground clearance. Aftermarket kits tend to be made better. I know my LSR kit is all tig welded and is made much better then stock. If you buy a standard and put a good aftermarket LT kit on you will have more money in it then just buying an S.. You will have better suspension though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well since this post is in the " Muddin' " forum.

If you are going to honestly mud...IE put aggressive tires on it and a lift then I would suggest buying a regular RZR and spending the difference on a 4" or 6" CATVOS lift.

If you are going to mostly trail ride and maybe mud here and there then I would say go for the S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ride southern AL. every weekend this pic is from southern ridge (Dozier). My 09 as it sits with lift, snorkel, wheels/tires, 4 points, axles, and stereo. I have less in it than an 09 S. Plus I have NEVER when following (ATV'S) had to turn around. Just my opinion and money!!!

Attachments

·
mudweiser-z71
379 Posts
i`m from the upstate of sc.. there are some tight trails around here. 99% of the riders around here have atv`s. my standard rzr; with the mods i`ve made to it; in my opinion has made it great for the type of riding i do.. MUDD

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
If you just plan on mudding then I'd just get a standard and a lift kit.. If you plan on trail riding, rock crawling or just running trails at high speed I'd either get an S or plan on buying a LT later.. JMO.. Mine has been on its side about a dozen times before I got a LT. I will say if your a big mudder and you get an S.. Plan on a roof, probably doors, a front and back window. Because the wheels sitting out past the body will cover you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you just plan on mudding then I'd just get a standard and a lift kit.. If you plan on trail riding, rock crawling or just running trails at high speed I'd either get an S or plan on buying a LT later.. JMO.. Mine has been on its side about a dozen times before I got a LT. I will say if your a big mudder and you get an S.. Plan on a roof, probably doors, a front and back window. Because the wheels sitting out past the body will cover you.
The s`s are a lot better for mudding because of the width ,ground clearance,articulation and ability to run larger tires with out rubbing .

Also a front and back window does not work for mudding ....lol

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Also a front and back window does not work for mudding ....lol
Sure they do.. Here is a pic from 2 days ago..

I just carry a Diy 12V sprayer and a squeegee to clean them off if they get to bad.

·
Registered
751 Posts
lol .... Thats not mudding ,in the mud i am talking about no 12 volt sprayer or squeegee is going to clean it off . If you are in real mud the stuff is 2 to 3 inches thick on your winshield after the first couple of holes . Also the mud scratchs your winshield in no time if you were to clean it that often. If you are a taller person the half windshield will work because you can see over it and don`t have to clean it after every mud hole. Also if you ride fast in dusty conditions with puddles the water splashes up and the dust sticks to it in no time.....that`s just the way it is .

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I don't know, that much stuff just doesn't hit my windshield. My back window gets covered but my front stays ok besides the edges.. I do have about 3" of rubber bed mat bolted to my fender extensions so maybe that helps. That windshield is made of MR10 coated Lexan. So its pretty hard to scratch.. It also folds down if need be. The sprayer has 45 Psi and does a pretty decent job of cleaning the window radiator and headlights. I made it cause I got tired of overheating after hitting a few mud holes..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts