Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pressed in 4 new wheel bearings on a '17 RZR 900 EPS 50inch. Using SuperATV parts.

The debate at the house was to press in extra grease in the new bearings or not. Some said it helps extend the life, other side said the bearing is pre-greased. That greasing is good but only if you press it in and then only later when it needs it, and pressing in grease may reduce the seal life.

I'm just curious what you all think??

Do you also put the loctite 603 on the outside? I've always thought that is overkill. The bearing is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I always grease mine. I like schaeffers grease a lot. After I started using it when I grease them I push very very little to 0 water out. We ride creeks all yr so I’m in a ton of water.
I do not loctit ether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My .02 is it depends on your riding environment. I’m usually under 35mph and ride a lot of water & mud so I fill mine full of grease or else they just fill up with water/mud over time. If I ran in a dry climate or a lot of high speed I’d probably only add a couple pumps and call it good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would grease them. I'd use a thinner, waterproof grease like Green Grease and don't overdo it. I do mine once per year. Most people in the know say you will get longer life if you do grease them and especially if you ride in water.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Take a look at posts 5 and 6 sir..

·
Registered
319 Posts
I grease mine 1-2 times a year. I’m still on the original bearings with 8400km. Buddy doesn’t grease his and already had to replace all his wheel bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bearings like to have grease, not happy when they have none. I'd keep them happy.
They also do not like too much grease. I'm of the opinion the majority on these forums overgrease and put too much emphasis on greasing the wheel bearings.

I use marine grease, a couple pumps once or twice a year per corner. 3 of my wheel bearings are original with 4k+ miles. No need to overthink it or overdo it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I was told from my engineer friends is that in general sealed wheel bearings should NOT be greased. That the bearing comes pre-greased and is in fact only 20-40% full of lubricant by design. Yet with modern lubricants that will last the life of the bearing. That over greasing and filling up the cavity can actually shortens the life as it will cause excess heat and not allow the lubricant to function properly. Also there is the issue of hurting the seals. Pumping in grease until it squirts out the seals many times destroys the seals - once the seals are opened like that it generally will allow contaminants into the bearing. Exposed surface grease will mix with dirt/water and work it's way back into the bearing area - especially if the cavity is overfilled and heats up causing expansion/contractions.

Thus the mechanical engineer in my garage is a no-extra grease side of the fence. That it's best to just ride until they fail as greasing may actually shorten lifespan.

Now the other guy in my garage an industrial engineer, said yes everything above is true but for the most part we are dealing with China made or non industrial bearings. For high end sealed bearing for industrial use for sure don't grease, but these are different. The seals are not industrial grade, you don't know what lubricant they filled in. Often cheep bearings only have the min lubricant and it's not all that waterproof. He feels it's best to squirt a little extra in but don't overfill until you push grease out of the seal and destroy it. That it is best to add high quality lubriciant only a little do not overfill. Thus this is the yes grease side of the fence

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
So one side of your RZR gets no grease, and the other side gets a little extra grease:unsure:

Reactions: dafish and FRAZR

·
Registered
807 Posts
From what I was told from my engineer friends is that in general sealed wheel bearings should NOT be greased. That the bearing comes pre-greased and is in fact only 20-40% full of lubricant by design. Yet with modern lubricants that will last the life of the bearing. That over greasing and filling up the cavity can actually shortens the life as it will cause excess heat and not allow the lubricant to function properly. Also there is the issue of hurting the seals. Pumping in grease until it squirts out the seals many times destroys the seals - once the seals are opened like that it generally will allow contaminants into the bearing. Exposed surface grease will mix with dirt/water and work it's way back into the bearing area - especially if the cavity is overfilled and heats up causing expansion/contractions.

Thus the mechanical engineer in my garage is a no-extra grease side of the fence. That it's best to just ride until they fail as greasing may actually shorten lifespan.

Now the other guy in my garage an industrial engineer, said yes everything above is true but for the most part we are dealing with China made or non industrial bearings. For high end sealed bearing for industrial use for sure don't grease, but these are different. The seals are not industrial grade, you don't know what lubricant they filled in. Often cheep bearings only have the min lubricant and it's not all that waterproof. He feels it's best to squirt a little extra in but don't overfill until you push grease out of the seal and destroy it. That it is best to add high quality lubriciant only a little do not overfill. Thus this is the yes grease side of the fence
The newest Polaris wheel bearings are shielded and not sealed. No seals to blow out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Almost 40,000 miles of AZ deserts on 4 different machines..........never had wheel bearing problems.
Never greased any of them.

Reactions: Razor Ron and FRAZR

·
Registered
645 Posts
My XPT has the shielded bearings, so does that mean it is okay to grease them?
Myself, I would not worry about them........run them until you have an issue, then fix what is necessary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just replaced both rears on my 2016 900 XC. Both were bad after only 3520 miles. We opened the OEM bearings to see what they looked like. The grease (what was present) was dark and thick on both. There was no pitting of the balls or the race. They just appeared to be worn. I drive mainly on dry trails, no high speed or heavy mud riding. I greased the new set and will do the fronts later this week. I find it unacceptable to replace bearings at 3500 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I read an interesting article from an engineer in the bearing industry. He says bearings fail from 2 things; too much grease and not enough grease. He says bearings usually have only 30-40% of the cavity full of grease. He says that as the grease is heated it starts to turn into a vapor where it moves to the outside and new grease replaces it. If the bearing is too full the vapor can't get out and the bearing isn't lubricated. That of course is if your seals are doing their job. Power washing many times forces water into the bearings while riding in water doesn't have the same effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just pressed in 4 new wheel bearings on a '17 RZR 900 EPS 50inch. Using SuperATV parts.

The debate at the house was to press in extra grease in the new bearings or not. Some said it helps extend the life, other side said the bearing is pre-greased. That greasing is good but only if you press it in and then only later when it needs it, and pressing in grease may reduce the seal life.

Do you also put the loctite 603 on the outside? I've always thought that is overkill. The bearing is not going anywhere.
Must be grea

Grease them new bearings don't come fully greased. That's why people leave bad reviews on bearings that go bad on first rid. Mine took 10 pumps each but don't put to much in shouldn't be coming out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Use the loctite. I put new bearings in the rear without the loctite and after a couple hundred miles I had a noise coming from the rear when I would turn. If I grabbed the top of the tire and pushed in I would get the noise and movement. Pulled both bearings, used loctite and reinstalled same bearings. Noise and movement gone. I would add grease also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts