Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Maverick, you said you went from a 12" stock wheel to a 14" wheel also, right? Did you chance measure you exact ground clearance before you put on you new wheels and tires? I'm curious to see what the exact difference would be, before and after. I will definitely measure mine before I change anything, just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, the OEMs are 12" and the Vaders are 14". No, I did not measure.

Maverick, you said you went from a 12" stock wheel to a 14" wheel also, right? Did you chance measure you exact ground clearance before you put on you new wheels and tires? I'm curious to see what the exact difference would be, before and after. I will definitely measure mine before I change anything, just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Actually, now that I think about it logically...I should gain an inch with the wheel size. With the stock wheels it would be 6" from center to outside edge and with 14" wheels it would be 7" from center to outside edge. So if the Bighorns are actually 26.4", that will give a .7" gain and wheels give 1" gain..I should have an increase of 1.7". Which is substantial gain in ground clearance. Correct???

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nah, you were right about the 0.70" actual ride height increase....if you are doing the same thing I did....and went with the XC wheels and tires. You can allegedly gain additional ground clearance with an aftermarket shock from a company like Fox. Fox 2.0 Piggyback RZR Shocks from Carl's Performance I have no first hand experience with those.

When my stockers wear out I'll probably go with Elkas. I feel rebound dampening adjustability is extremely important, at least on two wheels it is once sag is properly obtained.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nah, you were right about the 0.70" actual ride height increase....if you are doing the same thing I did....and went with the XC wheels and tires. You can allegedly gain additional ground clearance with an aftermarket shock from a company like Fox. Fox 2.0 Piggyback RZR Shocks from Carl's Performance I have no first hand experience with those.

When my stockers wear out I'll probably go with Elkas. I feel rebound dampening adjustability is extremely important, at least on two wheels it is once sag is properly obtained.
Yeah...I just went back and redid the math, I forgot to half the tire gains. With the wheels and tires it should be an increase of 1.7". That much is worth the money to me..that is just enough of a difference to go from banging off every rock I go over to banging very few. Like you, when my stock shocks wear, I'll probably upgrade. But that will be down the road.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have 28x10x14 Mongrels on GMZ bead locks. The RZR is a 2011 Standard 50" I put the 2" high lifter lift kit on, no drilling or cutting just bolted on. It also has Walker Evans shocks. I added about 2" in width on each side with the rims, but that was part of my plan beside more ground clearance.
I need to stay at 50", and would like to go with a 14" wheel and a 28" mongrels. I do not want a lift kit, I just need more ground clearance, (I keep banging the rock here in Montana, they don't call them the ROCKY MOUNTAIN for nothing) But I need to stay under 50". Do you think I would have any rubbing with this set up, without the lift?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it logically...I should gain an inch with the wheel size. With the stock wheels it would be 6" from center to outside edge and with 14" wheels it would be 7" from center to outside edge. So if the Bighorns are actually 26.4", that will give a .7" gain and wheels give 1" gain..I should have an increase of 1.7". Which is substantial gain in ground clearance. Correct???
I believe that a change in wheel size, say from a 12" to a 14", does nothing to improve your ground clearance. A 26x9x12 and a 26x9x14 tire will both result in the same height since it is the tire sidewall height that is modified to maintain the overall 26" tire height. In other words the 26x9x14 will have less sidewall height than the equivalent 12" tire - if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I believe that a change in wheel size, say from a 12" to a 14", does nothing to improve your ground clearance. A 26x9x12 and a 26x9x14 tire will both result in the same height since it is the tire sidewall height that is modified to maintain the overall 26" tire height. In other words the 26x9x14 will have less sidewall height than the equivalent 12" tire - if I understand correctly.
Thanks Oldbiker, I didn't know there was a sidewall difference. That makes sense. So basically, I would just be gaining the clearance of the difference in tire size. So, something else to ponder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I need to stay at 50", and would like to go with a 14" wheel and a 28" mongrels. I do not want a lift kit, I just need more ground clearance, (I keep banging the rock here in Montana, they don't call them the ROCKY MOUNTAIN for nothing) But I need to stay under 50". Do you think I would have any rubbing with this set up, without the lift?
I don't know from experience but according to this link it won't work:
http://www.rzrforums.net/wheels-tires/68001-end-all-wheel-offset-tire-fitment-thread.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought this set of tires and wheels from polaris.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/shop/accessories/wrec-14-inch-rim-sedona-ripsaw-tire-luster/pid-2879300

Only difference is mine are the same wheels but flat black. My ride is a standard 50inch model, but it does have the walker evans suspension. I know the wheels being offset makes a very big difference. For example, my dad has a 2014 800s and his stock tires and wheels (12inch polaris wheels with bighorns) WILL NOT fit on my rzr. I tried it one day for kicks and the rear tires rub on the motor mounts. I think it makes it look awesome too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Matt
580 Posts
I have 28x10x14 Mongrels on GMZ bead locks. The RZR is a 2011 Standard 50" I put the 2" high lifter lift kit on, no drilling or cutting just bolted on. It also has Walker Evans shocks. I added about 2" in width on each side with the rims, but that was part of my plan beside more ground clearance.
This will not work. You will rub on the motor mount on the passenger rear side. In order to fit a tire that size you'll need wheel spacers or offset wheels.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This will not work. You will rub on the motor mount on the passenger rear side. In order to fit a tire that size you'll need wheel spacers or offset wheels.
Well I guess I will have to stay with what I have. I can not go over 50" or I don't ride with my friends. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I guess I will have to stay with what I have. I can not go over 50" or I don't ride with my friends. Thank you for the response.
I'm dealing with the same issue - I thought it would work if I went with a 6+1 offset on 14x7 but I am not so sure now - the wheel will be real close to the shock mount on the front. I decided to try a 5+2 on a 14x7 since that is halfway between the stock front 4+2 and the rear 6+2. I've ordered 2 so I can be fairly certain they will work before I order the second pair. They will have STI 27x9x14 Black Diamond XTRs. I'm not sure when they will get here but I'll be happy to let you know how all the measurements come out if you are interested.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue - I thought it would work if I went with a 6+1 offset on 14x7 but I am not so sure now - the wheel will be real close to the shock mount on the front. I decided to try a 5+2 on a 14x7 since that is halfway between the stock front 4+2 and the rear 6+2. I've ordered 2 so I can be fairly certain they will work before I order the second pair. They will have STI 27x9x14 Black Diamond XTRs. I'm not sure when they will get here but I'll be happy to let you know how all the measurements come out if you are interested.
Thank you I would like to know. For right now since I need tire now(blew one last Sunday)I am getting some 26"X12s Wed. Will be getting tires for the truck (6) and (4) for the RZR. about $2000 for both. I need them heading to AZ. in about a month, headed west to WASHINGTON next week.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
That is correct. I did gain ground clearance with the Mongrels, but I do not care for the wheel spacers, so I ordered off set rims making my rig wider and it will no longer fit thru the 50" posts. I also went with the same size on all 4 corners which I really like.
Later, Trashpicker

Reactions: bluffcountry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have a straight on front shot on my phone, but here's a back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you I would like to know. For right now since I need tire now(blew one last Sunday)I am getting some 26"X12s Wed. Will be getting tires for the truck (6) and (4) for the RZR. about $2000 for both. I need them heading to AZ. in about a month, headed west to WASHINGTON next week.
I have installed MSA M23 14x7 wheels with a 5+2 offset and STI Black Diamond XTR 27x9 tires on all 4 corners. The front is still at 50" wide and the rear is 51" (which is still a little narrower than the body panels at their widest point just above and in front of the rear wheels). The tires actually sit about 26 1/4" high with 7 psi (I knew from talking with the STI people that their tires run a bit on the small size which is why I went with 27s instead of 26s) and it seems that I gained about 1" in ground clearance. I do have a 2" Racer Tech lift so there are no rubbing issues but it doesn't appear there would be any problems even without the lift.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts