Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find one that is accurate below 5 psi and won't break storing it in the tool bag. I would prefer electronic as I would think they would be more accurate. What are you guys using? And the stock one sucks so please don't respond with that

·
Registered
349 Posts
I find the oil filled analog gauges are the best for durability and accuracy. They also make rubber bumpers that go around the gauge to protect it inside of your tool box. This is the setup I run.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The cheap digital gauges you find in an auto parts store are notoriously inaccurate, particularly at low pressure. Gauges are designed to be most accurate in a particular range of measurement, outside of which accuracy suffers greatly. The cheap autoparts store gauges are made for pressures of your average street vehicle...30-50lbs. If you have a Kart racing shop near you they will have low pressure analog gauges that will be much more accurate than any cheap digital gauge.

I have used high accuracy digital gauges but they are 1) bulkier than an analog, 2) much more shock sensitive, 3) require a battery of course, which will fail when you need it most and 4) they were $200+ for the accuracy I desired. I also strongly recommend an analog liquid filled....unless (+ or -) 2-3psi is close enough.

Longacre racing sells nice rubber protected liquid filled LP or HP tire pressure gauges with a bleed valve (very useful to overpressure then bleed down to precise psi) that are VERY durable...I used one in kart racing for years and it was quite abused but never failed. They also sell high end digital gauges and I am almost certain they have low pressure models but they are pricey.

P.S.- TSracing dot com has Longacre 1.5-100 psi digital gauges--- $280.00 ouch! I would not trust that gauge for pressures less than 10psi. I know this because when I raced karts I frequently ran pressures 6-12 psi and while "bench racing" at one national race a group was comparing readings of several different gauges...air filled, liquid filled (both analog) and my Longacre 0-100 psi digital high dollar model with all the bells and whistles; the liquid filled analogs were the most consistent at 10 psi. At 30 psi it was right on with the liquid analogs (the ones that measured up to 30).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
200+? Maybe if I was racing for money. But to go out and play on the Rzr in the hills of WVa? Uh No...

I'll stick with my low pressure guage I picked up for 20.00 on Amazon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked up a "Slime" brand at Autozone for about $3 - seems to work well and when (not if) it gets lost or broken, I will get another one. I have checked it againt my 0-15 psi Moroso gauge and it seems to be pretty accurate

·
Registered
104 Posts
Motion Pro makes a very nice liquid filled gauge. You can see them in the ATV Tucker Rocky parts book...under $100...you can buy them at just about any dealership that sells parts from Tucker. Do not waste your time with the Bikemaster gauges..they are junk...same with the accugauge.. I am currently using a Drag Specialties digital gauge that seems to be very accurate..I believe I paid around $40..had it about 2 years, I check my tires every morning before my ride. It has auto off feature that is pretty handy, you push button for it to come on...then no worries after that..Part# is DS-181214

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought one from Powertank. It's digital and it ranges from 0 to 150psi. I believe it's highly accurate but it was expensive at $105.00. I normally wouldn't pay that much but I was tired of all the Chinese junk out there. It's actually a tire inflater w/gauge and a 6' whip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts