Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Tips for Racing first time

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Irondogracer 
#1 ·
So I'm planning to enter my first race in a few months. It's a woods race, very muddy and rocky. Kinda like GNCC I guess. Trails are wider though as the main event here is full-size trucks and buggies. It's an endurance race consisting of a 3-5 mile loop and generally runs about 2 hours of race time. I'll be running my basically stock XP1K with the required safety gear. I'm looking to ease into this and finish rather than win. I'm only expecting 10-15 entries in the UTV class. Any tips on what my strategy should be? Right now I'm thinking take it easy and finish. my buddy, who races a full-size buggy, finished 2nd in class last race simply because he finished. It can be pretty brutal -think amateur Ultra4. Any input from guys who've raced before is more than welcome. Thanks!

#2 ·
1st race, 1,) FINNISH! 2,) Control yourself 1st lap, most wrecks occur then because you are over amped, you can go faster 2nd lap as you learn the course and pace. 3.) Don’t worry about the other guy, run the pace that saves your machine and 4.) HAVE FUN, that is why you entered right? You are super bummed after when you have to fix a rig because you where racing someone just to beat them , let them pass. I stay in 4x4 mode the whole time for better control also, good luck.

#4 ·
good advice there ^^

Check with the rules, if you can walk or mountain bike the course the day before, that’s huge. Make notes of bottlenecks, hills, mud and possible passing sections.

You wanna keep a good pace, it’s not a trail ride but don’t bust your machine up... fine line there. You should be able to get into a good groove after your first couple laps... 50% of the guys will put themselves out by going to hard the first two laps... you can gain a lot of ground.

Make sure you train, cardio is important here, helps with arm/leg pump and keeping your wits about you. If you get tired you start doing dumb shit, that ain’t good. Make sure you hydrate... and remember to breathe; so much other stuff going you can forget. (Seriously, you will find yourself holding your breath...don’t)

Maintain your buggy, grease everything, new fluids, air filter and top off fuel. I liked to that a couple days before the race, helps get your mind in the right place. Most of racing is mental... go to your happy place lol

Have fun, it’s very addicting...

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

#6 ·
The race is in central PA. Line Mountain. Right near AOAA. They have 4 or 5 throughout the year. Lots of different categories-bikes, quads, trikes, several different full-size. But only one UTV class as of now, so I could be racing against anything from a Rhino660 to a Turbo S. Apparently though, the turbo machines don’t have an advantage here because of the terrain and the belt life. That’s what I was told last time I was there to spectate. Thanks for the advice guys!

#7 ·
Who is the race promoter? When is it? I am trying to get into racing my self, just posted about my 900S build. I am in south eastern PA and the D6 Hare Scramble series is running a few SxS races this year. That is the only “local” series I know of. I like the sound of the track/race set up you are talking about, would love to get some more info! Thanks

#9 ·
We never heard how your 1st race went? I entered my 1st race a couple of months ago in Blythe Arizona. here is how it went. After getting my XP100 TRE ready for months, i flew down from Alaska to race a grand prix. So excited, but almost through the 1st practice lap, I blow a belt. Super bummed there I sit in the middle of the desert after all this work and don't get to race. Well call my buddy who runs down a belt in time for the start. Luckily I spoke with another racer who told me in the desert you will blow belt every lap if u do not remove clutch cover. I did, started and finished 8th out of 15, so pretty happy. I did see 3 roll overs 1st lap. My bucket list is to race a long distance dirt race so gearing up for the Mexican 500 in October if life is close to normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.