Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first thing, I am currently searching, but damn there is a lot to sort through. Anyways, I have the 6" SATV lift. The upper ball joint is not the typical press in one. It screws in so that you can adjust camber. Anyways, I noticed the boot is torn so I have a message into Tyler to see if he will warranty it (only 1 ride). However, I am curious if there is a replacement out there for this type of ball joint? I normally use All Balls, but they dont have this style.

Now, the tie rod ends are also torn and I was thinking of replacing them with heims and a misalignment washer instead of another stock end. Has anyone done this? IF so, what size are they and what pitch is the thread? I am sure I can call the dealer and get the info, but figured I would try to find out and maybe get the heims ordered tonight.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
I'm doing the same with mine on the tierods. Its 1/2" left hand female heims. Pm me if you want me to order you a set I'm ordering tomorrow. Only thing is the hole in the spindle will have to be drilled out to 1/2" and a new bolt put in it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Mike, I would contact American Star, The ball joints they are suppling me for their A-arm upgrade sound like what you are looking for, and they also carry all size and types of tie Rod ends,
John

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, ......
Now, the tie rod ends are also torn and I was thinking of replacing them with heims and a misalignment washer instead of another stock end. Has anyone done this? IF so, what size are they and what pitch is the thread? .........

:worthless:
Its just the rubber boots are torn on the stock tie rod ends. They have over 4k miles on them so I would say they are due to tear.

Also, Tyler at SATV warrantied the torn upper ball joint which is really awesome... I am waiting to talk to UTV inc and American Star once they open (American Star supposedly opened 30 mins ago but not answering phone) about heims for the tie rods.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Don't drill out your spindle just yet. I have the Racer Tech +3 A-arms that utilize an outboard Heim joint. They have a stud with a threaded end that is a direct drop in to the spindle clamp. It is retained with the original clamp in the spindle without drilling it out. They may be able to hook you up with that piece. Give Andy a call.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Don't drill out your spindle just yet. I have the Racer Tech +3 A-arms that utilize an outboard Heim joint. They have a stud with a threaded end that is a direct drop in to the spindle clamp. It is retained with the original clamp in the spindle without drilling it out. They may be able to hook you up with that piece. Give Andy a call.
Are the older models different than the 2012? Mine was just a bolt through a cheap Chinese heim that fell apart after 450 miles.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to American Star about their chromoly heims..... No drilling of the spindle required and they bolt onto the stock shank from the tie rod. Only thing is they are $60 + $23 shipping to make sure they are here before Friday.

·
Super Moderator
6,921 Posts
The design is poor and the parts are cheap The bracket that bolts to the rack is a POS and poorly designed. The rod ends are also very poor quality. Your best best bet is to throw it all in the trash (rack also) and order a Gearone rack with HD tie-rods. I have the billet +6 kit and have had to replace every moving part (all new heim joints, king pins, mis-alignment washer, bushing..everything). The ONLY original parts I re-used are the a-arms. See below

Gearon One rack & tie-rods

Super ATV tie-rod end on left

NewF/K heim (left) Super ATV junk (right)

·
Registered
306 Posts
whats the gearone rack cost?

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Yeah my tie rod end didn't look like that. As far as the tie rods bending, sometimes you want something to bend, or it will break the rack, or your wrist in the wheel. $60 for a $10 heim, I think I will continue down my path and drill mine. I will post pics when I get finished.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ 675 for that rack, I can not afford it right now. Also, it isnt power steering is it? Im not having issues with that stuff yet either, just need to replace the ends that have over 4k miles on them.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Finally got my tie rod ends on last night. Did everything like I said and it all worked great. I will try to get some pics on here.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool.....I didnt order any. Im gonna ride one more time with these and then it will go daown again for a couple of months.....I will order them in that time span.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Well the superatv tie rod extenders were too long. I turned about 1/2" off of them in the lathe and they are about dead on screwed all the way in. I am going to do an official alignment in the morning but it is pretty close and the wheel is straight.

G

·
@bamarzr..Looks like that rod end bearing is maxed out angle wise and looks like the tierod is already bent?? What happens when the suspension droops? Looks like it will bind to me..jack it up and let the wheels hang..then what?

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
It is an illusion. No its not bent, it just isn't jammed tight in the pic. It is close to too much angle, but it doesn't bend anything or get n a bind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts