Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of have my sxs move around in my tow hauler. I ratchet strap all four corners - and it still walks around. I can't use wheel bonnets because of the tie down points in my trailer. What is wrong with using a strap through the mag wheel and then to the ratchet straps. I think my 570 moves around because the suspension has give in it even with the straps tightened down. Using the wheels will by pass the springs - if it is this simple why doesn't everyone do it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am tired of have my sxs move around in my tow hauler. I ratchet strap all four corners - and it still walks around. I can't use wheel bonnets because of the tie down points in my trailer. What is wrong with using a strap through the mag wheel and then to the ratchet straps. I think my 570 moves around because the suspension has give in it even with the straps tightened down. Using the wheels will by pass the springs - if it is this simple why doesn't everyone do it?
There is nothing wrong woth running a strap through your wheels and then tying it down that way. The best way there is, other than bonnets.
I only tie down by the wheels, eithe straps through the wheel, tire bonnets, or whatever. trying to tie down the frame it will move around.
Just secure the wheels and let the rest of the machine do its thing, it wont go anywhere.
Why doesn’t everyone do it????? IDK, not my problem. We had a guy we frequently ride with almost unload his machine in the middle of a highway because he didn’t have it tied down properly.

PS. I put down e-track in my toy hauler so I can use the bonnets in it, also on my flatdeck trailer.

·
Registered
438 Posts
As an addendum to my previous post; when I DO use straps through the wheels, I run the straps from the front wheels in such a way that they are pulling rearward; and run the straps on the rears so they are pulling forward, That way they are working against each other to keep things secure. Too bad I don’t have a picture to show you.
Good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
E-track here too, with straps dedicated to the task. Great way to go. Next time I'll buy mesh nets. Meanwhile I still run a doubled up 3" strap across the back in case of panic braking, and the run another from both A-Arms to a front mount point. So 6 straps total, and everything rated at least twice the working rating I need.

So long the mag wheels don't have a rough edge all should be well. That said, depending on how it all works out, you may not have a lot of "down" on the tires. Personally I want to mildly compress the tire as I strap in. I not only want it to not move, but I want it to stay put in even the worst accident I can imagine. I think roll-over at that point, and now I'm just wanting to make sure it doesn't become a missile.

Less of a concern in an enclosed of course. :)

·
Ak Matt
12 Posts
I am going to try to tie down my tires, I’ve got many feet of e-track on my deck over trailer. Seems sturdy. Compress the tires a bit, and go.
I’m going to use e track rings and 2” ratchet straps. Should work great, hold the tires stationary and let the suspension do its thing.
I’ll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, that's what I do. I was still worried about a emergency breaking action and what kind of force might be exerted on the e-track so as above I used a doubled up 3" through my rear bumper and back to the rear of the trailer.

Good luck!

D

·
Registered
470 Posts
I ran straps through the wheels for a while but I found if I didn't have them positioned just right the wheels would shift a little and loose tension on the strap, using a parking brake did minimize that issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714FZ7VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have been using and it works well for me. Only needs 1 tie down point per wheel and the strap sinches down on the tire very well, never had any movement and the RZR suspension still does it's thing
This is the same style that I use. No e-track required, just four simple tie down points at the corners. Machine never moves around and no mid-trip re-tightening required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
X3 on shock straps. Mine hasn't moved an inch in my toyhauler since I got them. Expensive but cheaper than it getting loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hauled my Rzr once in my new toy hauler and didn't like the side to side movement. I ended up running e-track down one side so that I could put the Rzr in right up next to one wall (the one away from the door in the side of the toy hauler) and use that to strap the front and rear wheel down. This gives plenty of room down the door side to put other junk and also room to work when strapping it down. I hauled that way all summer over a lot of rough forest service roads etc and it only moved once and that was likely because I didn't have it ratcheted down tight. You can get a pack of four e-track sections for less than $100 on Amazon and then maybe another $50 for the two wheel straps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is nothing wrong with running a strap through your wheels and then tying it down that way. The best way there is, other than bonnets.

Just secure the wheels and let the rest of the machine do its thing, it wont go anywhere.
<snip for brevity>

Could not have said it better. Attach through the wheels and cross front to back to the hard points on the floor.

We carry our 900s inside a toy hauler as well. From Michigan to Arizona, Wyoming & Montana. The machine is 9' 4" & I have a 10' garage in the back. No issues with it moving.

I bought these wheel straps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-36-HD-Axle-Straps-Car-Hauler-Tow-Truck-Wrecker-Wheel-Tie-Down-Strap/122489089006?hash=item1c84eb2bee:g:JMAAAOSw5VVdfpkh

I bought J-hook ratchet straps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ratchet-Tie-Down-Cargo-Strap-27-FT-Heavy-Duty-2-3333-Lbs-J-Hook/183927156307?hash=item2ad2e9ae53:g:1McAAOSwkZxdXvxT

Another tip: when not in use for storage - roll up the ratchet straps and stuff them in a backpack/book bag

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Shock Straps is the way to go. I use two 2" shock straps. I criss cross them from front to back. This allows the RZR to still move up & down some.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts