Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘18 900 trail is fine on the backroads and at my local riding area, but I’m going to Hatfield McCoy-Warrior over Memorial Day. Last couple of years down there, my little Rzr seems awfully tippy as there are so many big ruts from the 64” and 72” machines that run at H&M. I bought 2”wheel spacers but am wondering how bad they will be on my bearings if I put them on for the 2 days (150-200 miles) I’m riding down there.

We won’t be rock crawling up black trails or anything as we have a couple quads going with us and one guy’s kind of a newbie. Green and blue trails only.

I plan on taking them back off when I get home.

Appreciate any thoughts from anyone that’s used 2” spacers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Herd you may wanna remove the front sway bar. As far as the spacers it will add some stress, but idk if I'd worry about it for no more that your gonna have them on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buckeye721

·
Registered
2018 RZR 900 Trail EPS
21 Posts
I’m not an engineer but given how I think that all works it’s not going to be that much of a big deal for you. I have the same year and size as you and I have 1” that I keep on to make room for my larger General wheel and tire set I picked up for a great deal. If your not bombing and jumping I can’t see why you won’t be fine for your trip

·
Registered
70 Posts
While I have the 50" 570, I had no issues without any spacers on the Bear Wallow trail system last fall. Not sure where you're going on the H&M system?

I only put 1" spacers on after putting a 2" lift and new springs. I wanted to regain the 50" width. Actually gained a little. I'm sitting at around ~51" or so.

Being in Ohio, all our National trails are set at 50" (I see you're an Ohioan too). So I wanted to stay as close to that as possible. After all, it's the only reason I bought the 570.

However, I don't see any issues with you putting 2" spacers on. I've read that your bearings will be tasked a little harder. Possibly having premature failure. But it's a "juice vs squeeze" thing.

2019 Polaris RZR 570 EPS

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think wheel spacers are bad, just not a fan of a extra piece inbetween the wheel end and the wheel. I just went to a 4+4 offset in the rear and a 4+3 offset in the front (basically recreating a 55" 900 XC). Been on 2x rides so far with this setup, and like you I was concerned about tippiness, but now not so much of an issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm riding the New Hampshire trail system in a few weeks out of Gorham, NH. I have a 50" 2018 as well and recently added an Aftermarket Assassins stage 2 tune and SLP slip on exhaust in addition to a 2" SuperATV lift. With the big increase in power and throttle response, I picked up new 4+3 offset wheels and 2" spacers for my ride up there. Everything that I've read on spacers says a few things:

1. If you're riding very hard, with lots of impact (jumping/dropping in), you're bearings will take a beating and could fail prematurely.
2. If you're riding hard but keeping the Duke's of Hazzard to a minimum, spacers won't have a huge impact so long as you're doing maintenance and greasing the bearings and checking for signs of wear after long rides.

No matter the brand of buggy you're riding or how great the parts, if you lack care and maintenance, you're parts will fail.

Enjoy H&M! I'm trying to put a ride together there for next year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm riding the New Hampshire trail system in a few weeks out of Gorham, NH. I have a 50" 2018 as well and recently added an Aftermarket Assassins stage 2 tune and SLP slip on exhaust in addition to a 2" SuperATV lift. With the big increase in power and throttle response, I picked up new 4+3 offset wheels and 2" spacers for my ride up there. Everything that I've read on spacers says a few things:

1. If you're riding very hard, with lots of impact (jumping/dropping in), you're bearings will take a beating and could fail prematurely.
2. If you're riding hard but keeping the Duke's of Hazzard to a minimum, spacers won't have a huge impact so long as you're doing maintenance and greasing the bearings and checking for signs of wear after long rides.

No matter the brand of buggy you're riding or how great the parts, if you lack care and maintenance, you're parts will fail.

Enjoy H&M! I'm trying to put a ride together there for next year.
Thanks. I’m slow and steady. Definitely not Bo or Luke! And yes. I just greased my bearings.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm riding the New Hampshire trail system in a few weeks out of Gorham, NH. I have a 50" 2018 as well and recently added an Aftermarket Assassins stage 2 tune and SLP slip on exhaust in addition to a 2" SuperATV lift.
Let me know how that exhaust works for you, in the live free or die state.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let me know how that exhaust works for you, in the live free or die state.

It's great. Under 96 decibels for Fish & Game purposes and adds some nice tone. Sounds a little hollow when you take off, almost a rattle to it, but its all the room for flow. Love it so far. Sounds great when the engine brake hits. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
As far as your wheel bearings go, there is no difference between two inch spacers and going to 4+3 wheels. Both are moving the tire out 2 inches. The forces the hub sees are exactly the same.
The only real downside to spacers vs wheel offset is that it adds a possible point of failure. But on the upside you can take them off to fit through 50" gates, then out them back on when you are back to normal trails.

It's kind of amazing how much that extra 4 inches increases stability.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's great. Under 96 decibels for Fish & Game purposes and adds some nice tone. Sounds a little hollow when you take off, almost a rattle to it, but its all the room for flow. Love it so far. Sounds great when the engine brake hits. lol
Well that’s good. I was told no aftermarket pipes at all there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as your wheel bearings go, there is no difference between two inch spacers and going to 4+3 wheels. Both are moving the tire out 2 inches. The forces the hub sees are exactly the same.
The only real downside to spacers vs wheel offset is that it adds a possible point of failure. But on the upside you can take them off to fit through 50" gates, then out them back on when you are back to normal trails.

It's kind of amazing how much that extra 4 inches increases stability.
Valid point in the spacers. But I never plan to go back to 51". I don't know how 50" trails are in other states, but in Michigan they were blazed for quads and that's about it. Fan of technical terrain, but hitting a tree branch every step of the way is no fun with really no way to pivot like on a quad.

As for pushing the centerline of the tire out, the wider offset wheel does give you a wider tire which I think keeps the centerline closer to the hub. That offset wheel was offered as factory by Polaris from 15-17MY, and I think the 55" is ideal as it fits on a standard 60" trailer. Agree with how just 4" makes a huge difference, have been happy so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well that’s good. I was told no aftermarket pipes at all there?

I stand corrected. I dug a bit deeper and found that the law changed recently and I had outdated information. No aftermarket exhaust allowed and carries a fine of up to $300. I'll be taking mine off while I ride, unfortunately. Glad I dug deeper!

·
Registered
218 Posts
So I need wheel spacers to put some 27x11x12 rear wheels on my rzr trail. Only lacking about 1/2" of clearance. So I was thinking 1" spacers. Then I wondered don't they have to be thicker than the wheel studs? So should I measure my studs and buy something longer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
They do have to be thicker than the wheel studs, or else you need to grind down the studs.
Thanks, I measured the studs and they were just over a inch. So I ordered a set of 1 1/2” spacers. Didn’t want to grind down the studs. As I will be swapping back to the smaller oem tires, for riding the local state forests. Just wanted a larger more durable tire, for when I ride in West Virginia. The extra width of the spacers and tires should help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 2" spacers on my 900 trail. I was amazed at how much more stable that extra 4" makes it.
Just make sure you install them and tourque to spec (same as your lugs) then after about 50 miles, pull the wheels and torque the spacers again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got 2 inch wheel spacers on my rzr s 1000 and it made a world of difference! Especially with ruts and feeling more stable. Only issue I see is wheel bearings don’t seem to last as long.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

1 - 20 of 52 Posts