Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Just kidding!
10,749 Posts
Thanks for all your hard work Frank! Your work to help us maintain a beautiful place to ride is greatly appreciated. Maybe this is a dumb question but how come the meadow cant be blocked off with markers and let nature regrow the meadow naturally? It seems to me that seeding it opens the chance up for non native plants and grass to grow that could be a detriment to native plants and grasses.

·
Administrator
50,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Thanks for all your hard work Frank! Your work to help us maintain a beautiful place to ride is greatly appreciated. Maybe this is a dumb question but how come the meadow cant be blocked off with markers and let nature regrow the meadow naturally? It seems to me that seeding it opens the chance up for non native plants and grass to grow that could be a detriment to native plants and grasses.
Hi Steve according to the geologist who surveyed it for the forest service the soil has some contaminants in it .So they want 8 or 9 inches of it removed and we will not have to reseed it they stated the saw grass should come back on its own . We are also looking at installing a split rail fence along the road so this does not happen again :)

·
Just kidding!
10,749 Posts
Hi Steve according to the geologist who surveyed it for the forest service the soil has some contaminants in it .So they want 8 or 9 inches of it removed and we will not have to reseed it they stated the saw grass should come back on its own . We are also looking at installing a split rail fence along the road so this does not happen again :)
Ah I see. Well thanks for all your work and for posting this up and raising awareness. As crazy as it sounds not everyone understands they shouldn't tear up the land. With all the new people coming into off roading this is a good example of what NOT to do and how our community can come together to teach these knuckle heads and repair their damage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Crazywatson, what these newbies (although I'm sure many were seasoned riders) lack are manners. Anyone who has manners knows you don't go to someone's (in this case all of ours as its public land) place and tear it up. You wouldn't come to my house and make a mess and I wouldn't go to yours and make a mess. Or if we did we would clean it up. I'd blame the parenting but the video showed many people old enough to know better.

·
Administrator
50,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
HI ALL I AM HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL THAT WE FINALLY HAVE A GREEN LIGHT FROM THE FOREST SERVICE TO PROCEED TO REPAIR THE DAMAGED MEADOW IN NORTHERN NEW MEXICO. !!!!! Finalizing the budget now and establishing a go fund me account for all those who would like to help us :) Please stay tuned as we will be posting the repair work and the finished product for all to see . FJK

·
Registered
691 Posts
Contaminated with what? is it just in that disturbed area? did they check for contaminates outside of the disturbed area?

·
Registered
219 Posts
OMG all this drama over a little field, you guys should go up to a logging site, you'd die of a heart attack. Oil and gas contamination? What a quart of oil and half a gallon of gas? Archaeological survey? Talking about going overboard. You'd think there was a nuclear leak over all the drama.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,207 Posts
OMG all this drama over a little field, you guys should go up to a logging site, you'd die of a heart attack. Oil and gas contamination? What a quart of oil and half a gallon of gas? Archaeological survey? Talking about going overboard. You'd think there was a nuclear leak over all the drama.
The damage sucks, the contamination, all be it minimal in the grand scheme of things, sucks, but it's the principal of the irresponsibility and recklessness that is the main issue. It doesn't matter how big or small in cases like this, there's a target on OHV's pretty much everywhere, and anyone who can will jump at the opportunity to ban or prohibit the use of OHV's in general for any reason they can find. Have to look at the big picture of it all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The damage sucks, the contamination, all be it minimal in the grand scheme of things, sucks, but it's the principal of the irresponsibility and recklessness that is the main issue. It doesn't matter how big or small in cases like this, there's a target on OHV's pretty much everywhere, and anyone who can will jump at the opportunity to ban or prohibit the use of OHV's in general for any reason they can find. Have to look at the big picture of it all.
Spot on reply.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Excellent educated response

·
Registered
161 Posts
I understand what you guys are doing. I hope the topsoil is deep there. In my neck of the woods if you remove 8-9 inches of topsoil you are not growing anything. It takes about about 100 years for an inch of topsoil to form. I understand the contamination but you will be removing 8-900 years of mother nature's work. I would hate to see everyone do all this work and then it not grow anything.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I understand what you guys are doing. I hope the topsoil is deep there. In my neck of the woods if you remove 8-9 inches of topsoil you are not growing anything. It takes about about 100 years for an inch of topsoil to form. I understand the contamination but you will be removing 8-900 years of mother nature's work. I would hate to see everyone do all this work and then it not grow anything.
Maybe. However, the forest service does it all the time. For example, Pole Hill (near Estes Park Colorado) had a connector trail until the floods of September 2013. FS took the opportunity to close the trail and rehabbed the area. You literally cannot tell a trail ever existed now.

·
Can't 'Member.
773 Posts
89 Sandman;
These are EXACTLY the kinds of things the people who want a chained gate on the access road to all of the public land in the country use against us. They bring this kind of crap to their compatriots in the congress and in other positions of power in the government buracracy, in big, technicolor pictures to point out what reckless scum we are.
They also use them in the flyers they send out to the people who donate money.
IF those of us who ride DON'T get involved and provide a counterpoint to their BS we will lose even more land. I have been in this game for 40 years, I've watched the gates go up. I've seen our opposition paint these false pictures. I've been to the meetings where pictures of stuff like this are the prime exhibits leveraged to close the gates.
So I disagree with your position, I don't think you see the big picture. One little meadow like this might be the last straw in certain cases.
What Frank has spearheaded is "our" counterpoint, bringing to light that the vast majority of people who are invloved in motorized off road recreation won't tolerate the clowns in our midst, and we will join together and turn back the crap they tarnish our image with.
In the big picture, it matters. Think a little further into the situation, into the game and the players who are playing. Believe me, they are playing for keeps.
We have to be just as determined.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,207 Posts
89 Sandman;
These are EXACTLY the kinds of things the people who want a chained gate on the access road to all of the public land in the country use against us. They bring this kind of crap to their compatriots in the congress and in other positions of power in the government buracracy, in big, technicolor pictures to point out what reckless scum we are.
They also use them in the flyers they send out to the people who donate money.
IF those of us who ride DON'T get involved and provide a counterpoint to their BS we will lose even more land. I have been in this game for 40 years, I've watched the gates go up. I've seen our opposition paint these false pictures. I've been to the meetings where pictures of stuff like this are the prime exhibits leveraged to close the gates.
So I disagree with your position, I don't think you see the big picture. One little meadow like this might be the last straw in certain cases.
What Frank has spearheaded is "our" counterpoint, bringing to light that the vast majority of people who are invloved in motorized off road recreation won't tolerate the clowns in our midst, and we will join together and turn back the crap they tarnish our image with.
In the big picture, it matters. Think a little further into the situation, into the game and the players who are playing. Believe me, they are playing for keeps.
We have to be just as determined.
Spot On.

·
Administrator
50,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
89sandman and SparkyPrep I see you are both relativity New to our forum but I hope not to the sport. You may not be aware of all the well-organized groups across the country that are working very hard to close down all our riding areas.

One of them in your back yard (Oregon Wild ) just bragged about this victory ( We Finally wrapped up a SUCCESSFUL court case against the proposed Summit OHV project that would have allowed almost 200 miles of NEW OHV trails into the Ochoco National Forest. We were successful in stopping it .)

I have many other cases just like this I can quote for you across the country. Their goal is to restrict you to riding your SXS in your back yard, or in private offroad parks period.

I and many of our members have been involved in fighting these groups for over 10 years now. How's that for DRAMA!

We would like to see our children grow up enjoying our sport and not restricted to back yards or offroad parks. However, this takes an investment of time and money and more importantly, it takes people to care about the future of our sport.

There many groups trying to help our cause such as the Blue Ribbon Coalition, Maybe you should consider trying to help our cause rather than blow off our efforts to make a statement to the US forest service that a lot of us care about our responsibilities to Stay the trail and not destroy our forests, That is what we are trying to accomplish with our repairing the Meadow project.

My guess is neither of you has ever dealt with the US Forest Service.IT takes a lot of time and effort to get through all the government regulations , Surveys, and associated permits to do any kind of repair work in our forests.

So even though it was NOT A NUCLEAR Leak as you so sarcastically posted , It is important to the future of our sport that we follow through and complete this project.

Wake up they are coming for our riding areas and they are well-financed and extremely organized. It's no joking matter. So please if you don't want to help just stay out of our way. JMHO

FJK

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Well said Frank Every word true to the point. Have spent many years working to keep the Oregon Dunes open. VERY HARD, TIME and ENERGY to do anything with them. NO one understand till they have walked the walk.

Keep saying we are our own worst enemy. EXCESS SOUND read AFTERMARKET EXHAUST is our biggest down fall. Next is our very bad manners, lack of respect for each other and the laws and rules we should follow to keep our areas open. We are a very hard users group to like and I say that as a lifetime user. What I see in our user group makes me wonder if we even have a chance.

If you love your sport be a good ambassador not a user people hate.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts