Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here but I'm a member of the ATV forums, anyway I have a 2016 570sp and am thinking of doing the switch to SxS. My wife doesn't want to ride her own wheeler so it's my only option to get her on the trail. My dilemma is all the people I ride with have ATV's. We ride in South and Central Montana on trails in the mountains. My obvious concern is the width as the 50" SxS I don't think have the stability I would want I would go with a 64" model I believe. I realize that would limit me on the 50' trails but even the regular trails we ride seem tight to me when you meet another group you have drive off trail to let them by generally. My question I'm sure there has been other people in my shoes and I wanted to see if you switched do you regret it? Can you still ride regular mountain trails? Is it easier or harder, did you have to make adjustments ETC. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Switched from 4 ATVs to a side-by-side in 2016. Zero regrets and wife likes it much better. She wants to go out now more than I do. Having said that you are not going to be able to ride some of the trails you ride on an ATV so it's a personal decision that has to be made. For us it was an easy switch. We were all tired of eating dust and trying to keep track of where the kids were. I was glad to trade 4 vehicles to service, maintain, register and insure for 1 vehicle to service, maintain, register and insure. Kids are all grown and gone now, but grandkids have taken their place and they love riding in a side-by-side. We make ours street legal here in AZ and that's a bonus as well. Probably doesn't help you much but I wouldn't go back to ATVs again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I understand that new and different can be concerning, but 50" is fine. In just over a year I have put over 5000 miles on my trail and never a time I wished I had a bigger machine for stability. The times I have been unstable a different size machine would not have made a difference. Just a couple of weeks ago I took a buddy out who did not think a SxS would go places his ATV would, safely and within the bounds of the trail. He was super amazed at what a trail machine can do compared to his ATV.

I did not think I would ever move away from ATV because of where they can go and how they ride. I will never go back to an ATV.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
2015 rzr 900xc and we still have a sportsman 550 Atv Best of both worlds.Rzr A lot nicer for two or more people for Comfort and safer. Instead of two people being cramped on an ATV out riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello, first post here but I'm a member of the ATV forums, anyway I have a 2016 570sp and am thinking of doing the switch to SxS. My wife doesn't want to ride her own wheeler so it's my only option to get her on the trail. My dilemma is all the people I ride with have ATV's. We ride in South and Central Montana on trails in the mountains. My obvious concern is the width as the 50" SxS I don't think have the stability I would want I would go with a 64" model I believe. I realize that would limit me on the 50' trails but even the regular trails we ride seem tight to me when you meet another group you have drive off trail to let them by generally. My question I'm sure there has been other people in my shoes and I wanted to see if you switched do you regret it? Can you still ride regular mountain trails? Is it easier or harder, did you have to make adjustments ETC. Thanks for helping!
My parents rode a 2-up sportsman for years & I rode a 700 Grizzly since 2004. They bought a 50" 800 about 6 years ago & I got my High Lifter 3 years ago now. It's a very different experience, obviously you're driving now instead of riding. I have a 46 Jeep that feels more like riding a quad than my rzr does haha. There are honestly times when I'd still like to be on the Grizzly, but then I look over & see the wife & kids in there with me and it's definitely worth the switch. After my ST springs, my rzr rides better than my quad or Jeeps could ever hope to. You can put heaters in the SxS to make riding in winter more comfortable, carry camping gear for longer trips, etc, etc. There's no end to what you can do to these things. As for the trail models, my parents love theirs. It definitely rides stiffer than the bigger machines & doesn't have the clearance I have, but they've still done everything they've wanted to do just fine with no stability concerns. They've ridden some really off camber, steep, loose stuff & had zero problems because he's a great driver. I don't think you'd regret switching unless you're still looking for that open air "riding" feeling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that new and different can be concerning, but 50" is fine. In just over a year I have put over 5000 miles on my trail and never a time I wished I had a bigger machine for stability. The times I have been unstable a different size machine would not have made a difference. Just a couple of weeks ago I took a buddy out who did not think a SxS would go places his ATV would, safely and within the bounds of the trail. He was super amazed at what a trail machine can do compared to his ATV.

I did not think I would ever move away from ATV because of where they can go and how they ride. I will never go back to an ATV.
What model do you have?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you are a sport rider the SxS will be a let down. I know my kids and grandkids would rather ride there own quads than ride in a SxS.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are a sport rider the SxS will be a let down. I know my kids and grandkids would rather ride there own quads than ride in a SxS.
What about if the kids were to drive the SXS though that is a big difference driving and riding? Id much rather ride my own sport quad than ride with someone in a SXS but id rather drive a SXS than a sport quad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just went through this a few months ago myself. My wife and I had two Suzuki King Quads. My son would ride on the back of mine and she rode her own. The wife never really warmed up to the riding the quads unless she was on a graded dirt road. Any bit of off camber or steep hill and she would stop and turn back. Last straw for her was when she was riding and she hit a hole or rock in the road and it caused her to go up into the brush and she fell off and got scratched up and a few bruises. She said she wanted to sell her machine cause she was done.
We rented a side by side and she said that's what we needed. So we set out trying to figure out which one. We settled on a Pro XP 4 seater so the whole family could enjoy it. I still have her quad for a few more months before my brother in-law comes and buys it from us. I don't regret selling my quad honestly. I have taken this up a few roads that I did with my quad and it went up them just as good as the quad did. Actually with more ground clearance it was easier for me to get over the rutted out areas I struggled with before.
I would suggest you try to rent a few different machines or if you know someone who will let you drive theirs that would work too. I drove RZRs, Can Ams, Honda Pioneer, and rode in a friends General XP4. I chose the RZR because it was available faster than a General.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went through this a few months ago myself. My wife and I had two Suzuki King Quads. My son would ride on the back of mine and she rode her own. The wife never really warmed up to the riding the quads unless she was on a graded dirt road. Any bit of off camber or steep hill and she would stop and turn back. Last straw for her was when she was riding and she hit a hole or rock in the road and it caused her to go up into the brush and she fell off and got scratched up and a few bruises. She said she wanted to sell her machine cause she was done.
We rented a side by side and she said that's what we needed. So we set out trying to figure out which one. We settled on a Pro XP 4 seater so the whole family could enjoy it. I still have her quad for a few more months before my brother in-law comes and buys it from us. I don't regret selling my quad honestly. I have taken this up a few roads that I did with my quad and it went up them just as good as the quad did. Actually with more ground clearance it was easier for me to get over the rutted out areas I struggled with before.
I would suggest you try to rent a few different machines or if you know someone who will let you drive theirs that would work too. I drove RZRs, Can Ams, Honda Pioneer, and rode in a friends General XP4. I chose the RZR because it was available faster than a General.
Thanks for the info and I wish I had a friend that drove a SXS however we all drive ATV's. I have a group of 5-10 that I camp and ride with and they all have ATV's. I was thinking of renting also so I checked how much the local place charges and it's $400.00 a day.....Where we ride we usually spend the night so $800.00 just to try...I'm not doing that lol. My fear is the width for the trails we ride i would hate to have to turn around as my friends keep going. I'm not talking about the 50' restricted trail I mean just the normal mountain trails, the trails we ride are not logging roads or dirt roads its tight mountain trails with lots of rocks and im worried 64' would be to much but I'm worried the 50" wouldn't have the clearance and stability that I would need for side hills ruts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my RZR S 1000 because my wife wanted to go riding with me and wasn’t big on the idea of riding on the back of a quad and she didn’t really want to drive one a lot either so that’s when I started looking into SxS’s and oh man I went down a worm hole and next thing I know it turned into an obsession and 3 years later it’s still all I seem to think about. Only thing now is I want bigger and more power haha

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info and I wish I had a friend that drove a SXS however we all drive ATV's. I have a group of 5-10 that I camp and ride with and they all have ATV's. I was thinking of renting also so I checked how much the local place charges and it's $400.00 a day.....Where we ride we usually spend the night so $800.00 just to try...I'm not doing that lol. My fear is the width for the trails we ride i would hate to have to turn around as my friends keep going. I'm not talking about the 50' restricted trail I mean just the normal mountain trails, the trails we ride are not logging roads or dirt roads its tight mountain trails with lots of rocks and im worried 64' would be to much but I'm worried the 50" wouldn't have the clearance and stability that I would need for side hills ruts.
I understand what you're saying. Quads will always be more nimble just because they're smaller. One thing I don't miss is trying to ride 50+ miles on the quads on trails. It's easy to do 50-100 miles in a side by side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been on a quite a few trails in Southern MT, on ATV's and a RZR 570. I prefer the RZR. I have taken my RZR on all of the trails that I went on with ATV's and many more.
The only place I have found that I would chose an ATV over my 570 is in WY, the South end of the Big Horns at lower elevation. The trees are so close the roll bar gets hung up or bounces off them like a pin ball. Everything I have found in MT is great in my 570

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also did this not to long ago for the wife and myself. I also kept my quad. I ride with a large group that try's to get together once a month and goes to hatfields twice a year. I'm on the bigger end with my turbo and I don't find I have to turn around at all sometimes I may just have to go a different line through a trail then the quads. We just rode at Mountain Ridge in PA last week and I thought those trails were pretty tight. I just had to keep my head on a swivel.

IMG_5954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
We went from quads to a 50" sxs at the end of last year. I don't regret switches at all.
I'm looking to upgrade to a 64" 4 seater because everyone I rode with have sxs's, and while the 50" can keep up with the bigger machines, it beats me up excessively in doing so.
However, if you ride with all quads, I would definitely stick with a 50". I can take my 50" machine on every off camber spot I could take my quad no problem. Honestly your center of gravity in a 50" rzr is lower than sitting on top of a 4 wheeler....
It's kind of amazing what the 50" machines can do. Being narrow you have a bigger choice of lines than with a wider machine.
In a few places my rzr 900 trail on 27" tires certain obstacles are actually easier for me than the 72" wide 4 seater on 35" tires because I can fit between rocks they have to try and get their wheels on them be high centers. 😁.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It would be an easy decision for me...in fact it was. A little over a year ago, I sold my Suz LTZ400 and bought a SXS. Haven't looked back since. I did it because the Suz was just beating the hell out of me and after an hour or so, I wanted to be anywhere but on the back of that thing. I'm just too old and out of shape to find much joy in that. I can ride all day in my SXS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been on a quite a few trails in Southern MT, on ATV's and a RZR 570. I prefer the RZR. I have taken my RZR on all of the trails that I went on with ATV's and many more.
The only place I have found that I would chose an ATV over my 570 is in WY, the South end of the Big Horns at lower elevation. The trees are so close the roll bar gets hung up or bounces off them like a pin ball. Everything I have found in MT is great in my 570
Thank you for the good info!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts