Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a few posts like this, but havent really seen any results. I was thinking about running the SuperATV 6-8" lift with Rhino brand axles with my stock length Rancho shocks and 30" dominator tires. I'm assuming I'll need a clutch kit also. Is there anything else anyone can suggest that I would need? Anyone anticipate any problems with this setup? Are you guys that are currently running this kit liking it so far? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
sounds like fun :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you might want the low gear ratio transmission set from Turner.
I didnt even know a low gear set was available for the rzr. Thanks. I currently run 26" Bighorns on a gen1. Will moving up to 30s start shredding belts? I'm just trying to figure out any possible problems with this combo before I start collecting parts.

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
I've rock crawled mine in SD, AR, MO, IN, MN, and UT thus far...and will be in AR again next weekend, followed by UT and NV later in Oct/Nov.

UHMW skids...moderate width/travel...tire height will be a big help...haven't yet found a need for a clutch (tho toying with it).

Thus far I've winched once...on the 5 rated Kong trail in the Black Hills.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
you might want the low gear ratio transmission set from Turner.
I didnt even know a low gear set was available for the rzr. Thanks. I currently run 26" Bighorns on a gen1. Will moving up to 30s start shredding belts? I'm just trying to figure out any possible problems with this combo before I start collecting parts.
Here is some info on the gear kit.
it is about 20% reduction:
http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/28373-turner-cycles-center-drive-gear-reduction.html

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
I do a lot of rock crawling and the key is stability if you go up go out or you will be upside down a lot! Clearance is important and a DDP clutch is a must! I run 27s the same size on all fours! A low transmission gear would be cool, but I would love a three speed with a crawler gear! I have a 3 inch lift and rock sliders and skids everywhere! I can't believe the places in have gone!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats awesome. So the SuperATV 6-8" lift might be too tall? should I just go with a LT kit?

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,889 Posts
A 6 - 8" lift kit would be too high....you'll be way to tippy unless your 70" wide!!!! I would say 3" max. Bigger is not always better for a RZR. I wouldn't go any bigger than 27" tires as well. A bigger tire is just going to start robbing you of power. I do lots of rock crawling, and my ground clearance is just over 12" (without me in it). As mentioned, skid plate everything and get some good nerf bars.
This is just my humble opinion, and apparently, my wife has said I have been wrong at times too!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just saw on superATVs website they posted a new 5" lift. the pic is of the rzr-rzrs conversion. waiting to hear more on it. The longer a-arms with the kit made it look pretty stable. my current setup is stock suspension, 2" wheel spacers, Rancho shocks, 26" bighorns, Tusk skids and nerf bars. my GC is about 11" right now.

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
beefy arms are where it's at...I chose the RacerTech +3 kit...lots of strength and allows use of OEM shocks

56" wide has proven to be plenty for stability/maneuverability...

do NOT run flares...the body contacts the rocks enough, no reason to tear flares off.

The Holz skid I run offers tight clearances at the rocker, max ground clearance as well, and the UHMW down the center for sliding. The aluminum HAS bent however, but using the rockers as pivot points will do that.

'bout the only change I would make to my current setup is thicker alum from Holz...we've been discussing :)

Hope to have more photos/video from Hot Springs in another week or so...this pic was from June, prior to most of the mods...

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Off-roading Automotive tire

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
beefy arms are where it's at...I chose the RacerTech +3 kit...lots of strength and allows use of OEM shocks

56" wide has proven to be plenty for stability/maneuverability...

do NOT run flares...the body contacts the rocks enough, no reason to tear flares off.

The Holz skid I run offers tight clearances at the rocker, max ground clearance as well, and the UHMW down the center for sliding. The aluminum HAS bent however, but using the rockers as pivot points will do that.

'bout the only change I would make to my current setup is thicker alum from Holz...we've been discussing :)

Hope to have more photos/video from Hot Springs in another week or so...this pic was from June, prior to most of the mods...

View attachment 20333
If you plan on making a trip a little further north let me know. I live in Van Buren Ar, and I've been to most of the trails/parks around.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is the link to my build. I spent a lot of time talking to JaggedX, Turner and a couple of custom SxS shops before the build. I spend way too much but I sold my jeep for this build so I wanted to make it right.
I'm still putting on the finishing touches (custom top, skids, sliders, a-arm guards) but I will do a full write up with pictures after my trip Oct 8-10 for SMORR in the Fall event in MO.
My link also has a link to more pictures of the actual build.
http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-discussion/33616-magnus1-08-rzr-build.html

I chose LT tires instead of atv tires due to strength. In my tests so far I'm not seeing any issues with power. I've crawled the tire mountain and cars in the pics with no issue.

Hate to say it but I can't remember the actual clutch kit but I'll update it later. I know it is set to hold the rzr in low gear longer so it has a smother crawl.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I would think for rock crawling you would want Thick skids.. Holz kit is more for racing then rock crawling.. The center is only 1/4 UHMW inless they have changed it.. If I was doing nothing but crawling.. I'd have 1/2 UHMW. I my self only run 3/8" because I'm in the middle. We do some rock crawling, but we tend to trail ride and play in the mud more then rock crawling.
Around here ground clearance makes a huge difference. Its true you don't want to go up with out going out also. I like my +4 for tight trail riding in the woods. For just rock crawling I would think a +5 would be better. You would be 60" and could get 14" of ground clearance pretty easily. Would still be plenty stable. A buddy of mine has a +5 With a lift and progressive springs and he is at 15" of clearance.. Big difference then mine on big rocks.. I'm sliding over them while he is driving over them.. I'm at about 12" loaded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts