Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rider from Kansas here and first post. No luck so far with the search function so here goes nothing. Right now I have a single axle flat bed trailer for getting my XP 1000 to my ride destination. Some of my trips will require overnights at hotels. What do you guys use for theft deterrent when traveling with a similar setup?

·
Registered
450 Posts
In addition to a locking ball mount pin and a lock on the trailer coupler-

I bring along some loop cables and additional locks. Lock the RZR to the trailer, lock both wheels on the trailer to the frame and another longer cable to lock the trailer to the hitch on the truck.

Yea, cables can be cut but with several of them, it takes more time and makes more noise.

I forgot where I got them but mine are 1/2 cable. All my locks are keyed the same Like this-

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yep if you have to leave the rzr overnight on an open trailer theres only so much you can do. In addition to what RM5280 pointed out, back the trailer up against a wall or tree. Try parking in a well lit, visible area. Use as many cables and locks as you can.

If a thief really wants your ride, they'll stop at almost nothing to get it. The point being is to make it look as difficult as possible so hopefully they move on to what looks like an easier target.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Another item to do is check out the place you will be staying beforehand.

Do they have or allow trailer parking? Where is it? Can your vehicle & trailer be parked near your room? Or, is trailer parking way out back past the paved parking lot with no lights in a gravel area. Can you keep the vehicle attached to the trailer?

If you can't park near your room, ask the manager if you can park in a better area. Like out front under the lights where the front desk can see your rig (and they might have cameras) Start a conversation with the front desk person. Are they a motorcycle/UTV/ATV/SXS/Jeep person? Tell them your concerns about security.

I have had several times while on motorcycle where the owner/manager would let me park the motorcycle in a more secure spot and even offer to "keep an eye on it"

Get on Google maps and take a look at where you are going. What does their lot look like? Can you see other vehicles with trailers parked there.

·
Registered
710 Posts
In the past I have taken a trailer wheel off and up to the room. It only takes a couple of minutes with a small scissors jack. Might get some strange looks on the elevator.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Hmmm

·
Registered
450 Posts
Much easier to prevent theft with an enclosed trailer.
Maybe-
You can still steal the entire trailer just like an open trailer. Enclosed trailer, the bad person can now work un-detected inside the trailer and steal other things. Tools, gear, parts off the RZR, etc.

All my friends have enclosed trailers or toy haulers. One friend lost his enclosed trailer key. I had his side door open in less than a minute with just some scratches and no major damage. A 3 foot pry bar has a side door open real quick.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sure, when you dont use common sense, when you dont back up to a stationary object, when you dont lock your coupler, when you dont lock your ball mount to your vehicle, yeah of course..

·
Registered
116 Posts
In addition to a locking ball mount pin and a lock on the trailer coupler-

I bring along some loop cables and additional locks. Lock the RZR to the trailer, lock both wheels on the trailer to the frame and another longer cable to lock the trailer to the hitch on the truck.

Yea, cables can be cut but with several of them, it takes more time and makes more noise.

I forgot where I got them but mine are 1/2 cable. All my locks are keyed the same Like this-
With the advent of the ratcheting cable cutter it only takes seconds to quietly slice through a cable. Basically it has rendered cables useless. A hardened chain (Abus or Pewag) will at least require a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel and several minutes making a lot of noise.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I searched for the toughest security chain I could find. Then I bought 4 dedicated security locks keyed alike that are bolt cutter proof. I wrap the chain around each wheel and suspension and lock with the locks. Like someone else said, the chain can be cut with a grinder but will make alot of noise and the thief will have to cut 4 to get the RZR. I figure nothing is theft proof but trying to slow them down as much as possible.

I forget where I saw it but there is a ignition kill system out there too. I opted to stay away from it in the off chance the system would fail and ruin my day

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sure, when you dont use common sense, when you dont back up to a stationary object, when you dont lock your coupler, when you dont lock your ball mount to your vehicle, yeah of course..
That is a great idea as well. Back the trailer up to an immovable object. Wall, light post, tree. Works for an open or enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We can put all the chain and cable we want but there should be more focus on preventing the thieves from steeling the entire trailer. The suggestion above to weld the ball nut is the first thing I do after purchasing a new ball or ball mount. I also welded a 5/8" steel loop to the trailer in the front and use hardened chain to lock the trailer to the hitch. Same idea as already mentioned. Chain isn't theft proof but it's noisy to cut and takes time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Common sense & due diligence. A theif is going to try and steal the entire trailer. Why not? It already has the RZR all nice and loaded for them.

Make the trailer harder to steal.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Like others have said if some one wants what you have they will try and some times take it. I have a GPS some where on my UTV. If it goes anywhere I can tell the police where it is and they can do the dirty work. I use a SpyTec GPS

·
Registered
450 Posts
Some good tips I picked up in this thread to change my securing habits.

Went out and pulled my ball mount to run a bead with the welder on the ball nut. Also looking at a good chain instead of cable. Still keep some of the cables but maybe replace a couple key points with a good 3/8 in a grade 40 or higher.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I use a trailer wheel lock, a cable with a New York Kryptonite U LOCK (over $100 for the lock) to lock the trailer ramp to the trailer, another cable and New York U LOCK from the RZR steering wheel to the trailer side rail, a 1/2" chain around the front suspension of the rzr and (locked near the wheel), then same chain wrapped around front of trailer and to the rear axle of my truck with another heavy duty lock.

Also have a GPS tracker hardwired and hidden in the rzr but will run on self contained battery for several days if power is cut.
Plus another GPS tracker in the truck, just in case.

Trailer locks on hitch/ball/receiver.

Motion detector alarms with or without lights too. Put these under your truck or trailer, out of sight, and as soon as they detect someones foot, alarms go off. These things are insanely loud.

When a crackhead sees all these chains and cables and wheel locks and huge NEW YORK U LOCKS, they surely will just keep on strollin' by.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use two Kryptonite integrated chain locks: one I thread through a RZR wheel and the other through a trailer wheel, looped together in a figure eight.
Jay

1 - 20 of 105 Posts