Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just wanted to show you all the RZR that you never knew you owned. Last fall a small portion of your taxes went to purchasing this 2011 RZR 800. Since putting it into service this summer it has saved numerous homes and countless acres of timber from burning to the ground. It is an invaluable tool. It allows us to arrive at an emerging incident and quickly size it up. We can now gather our situational awareness exponentially faster than we ever could before.

ATVs and other UTVs have been used on fires for years. But, the RZR takes it to another level. IMHO, there is no better machine out there for what we do. The ability to carry two people, our tools, and our line gear in such a maneuverable vehicle is key. Driving other work/utility stlye UTVs is not the same as what the RXR can do. From running flat out in the desert southwest, to crawling over rocks, to climbing dozer lines over mountains in Montana, the RZR has been unstoppable. But, you already know that.

It is so handy. We can show up, buzz around, and get a quick picture of what is going on and what we need to do. I can jump out and get the guys going while my boss continues to get the "big picture". Once the guys get going I can jump back in and the boss can show me what he been looking at. I can jump back out and hike/scout inaccessible terrain and he can pick me up. We can haul drinking water, burn fuel, lunches, bladder bags, etc. to the fellas. We can grab someone to serve as lookout and run them over to a good vantage point much faster than we could in the Ford F550. In a medical emergency, we can tear the passenger seat out and slide a backboard in. It is so handy.

Since putting it into service this year we have logged 1800 miles. We pretty much went through the stock suspension in the first few months. We broke the pencil thin swaybar tie rods. Also, the factory shocks were sagging so badly that we could bearly clear anything. So, it is now outfitted with ZBroz 8" extended A arms with 2" suspension drop, Exit shocks, Polaris doors, some 3/16" aluminum skid plate, aftermarket aluminum roof, Polaris Ranger front wheels front and rear, and Sedona Ripsaw tires (9x26r14). We're not sold on the aluminum Ranger wheels as they ding/dent too easily. Next, we need a winch.

On the first fire we went on another crew saw us buzzing through a nuked out stand of timber (moon scape) and named it the "moon buggy". The name has stuck. Anyway, here are a couple photos...

I'll be lurking around looking for any reliability/durability tips to keep it in service as long as possible. If you have any, please post.

Thanks for paying your taxes.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
What a great story & real life encounter.

I can only imagine what some certain Inc. company could do to design you a cage that will allow you to keep the second seat in place & still slide in a litter slightly above but in between you guys. This is such an inspiring story. UTVs are changing the world, slowly but surely.

More & more people I meet that are getting out of there 20's are rethinking & SXS's are the solution! Good job, stay safe!

Wazz

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction!!!(R)

Thanks for what you do!. Get you some Pitbull Growlers and Beadlock rims next. You can air down a bit more and not need a spare. Also with what you do, 2 cans of slime in each tire for added insurance and a 1/2" UHMD skidplate, and a Rollcage are a MUST!! Carry a spare CV belt and get a Clutch kit as well. One last thing right quick, DDM tuning has HID upgrades for around $45-$55! There a MUST in smoke!!
There is a thread here for the Military RZR's and the company who builds them sells the cargo racks and bed to civilians and Public safety. I have a magazine here with the contact info if you want it. PM me for details.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice ride! RZR's can cover rough country in short time....so many uses.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome! Great machine. This site has really friendly and helpful members and it has anything you'd ever need to know about the RZR.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Welcome from the central coast of California

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Welcome! Actually kinda cool to hear about tax dollars being used for something useful, seems we mostly hear about waste and fraud. Cool story, thanks for sharing.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts