Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1361 - 1380 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was cleaning my shop today and found a bag of parts for my Rzr that I had forgotten about. I bought the stuff to do the pinion nut fix a couple of years ago and then got into hunting season and ran out of time, then got a divorce and had even less free time so the Rzr ended up getting sold.

Here's the parts that I have, if someone can use them I can drop them in an envelope and send them your way. Just send me a PM with your info. All Polaris parts and in the little plastic baggies still, except for the pinion nut itself.

Qty (3) - O-Ring #3234516
Qty (2) - Oil Seal # 3610102
Qty (1) - Pinion Nut 7547243

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was cleaning my shop today and found a bag of parts for my Rzr that I had forgotten about. I bought the stuff to do the pinion nut fix a couple of years ago and then got into hunting season and ran out of time, then got a divorce and had even less free time so the Rzr ended up getting sold.

Here's the parts that I have, if someone can use them I can drop them in an envelope and send them your way. Just send me a PM with your info. All Polaris parts and in the little plastic baggies still, except for the pinion nut itself.

Qty (3) - O-Ring #3234516
Qty (2) - Oil Seal # 3610102
Qty (1) - Pinion Nut 7547243
Now you tell me......just did mine a couple of weeks ago.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Les,

Wow after reading 137 pages of posts, on this topic I was curious if you are still in Brenda, AZ, I have a 2011 800s with 3029 miles on on it and i am sure that the previous owner did change pinion nut. Took the machine out last week and I noticed that I was real jerky on acceleration and was making a whining noise when I let of the gas pedal. I don't want to drive again and blow up the differential. Just looking to see if there is someone in the Phoenix area who can make this repair. I ll order the necessary parts today.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Les,

Wow after reading 137 pages of posts, on this topic I was curious if you are still in Brenda, AZ, I have a 2011 800s with 3029 miles on on it and i am sure that the previous owner did change pinion nut. Took the machine out last week and I noticed that I was real jerky on acceleration and was making a whining noise when I let of the gas pedal. I don't want to drive again and blow up the differential. Just looking to see if there is someone in the Phoenix area who can make this repair. I ll order the necessary parts today.

@Pullerguy

·
Tribute100
32 Posts
I want to give a shout out to Les Hanson aka Pullerguy for his help the week before last when I rented his tools to remove and install the pinion nut in my 2012 RZR 800, and also for his help and advice in the project.
I was able to do a same day turn around on his tools: After getting a text from USPS, I picked up the package @ 9 am Wednesday from the P.O. before they gave it to our rural mail carrier who is usually late in the afternoon before delivering our mail. I had everything ready to go, got my wife to help me, and had the job done in a very short time. Repackaged the tools and mailed back to Les the same day. I was in a rush because we were leaving on a trip the next morning, and even though Les was gracious enough to say I could do it after we returned 4 days later, but thankfully l was able to complete it quickly.
Here are a few observations I'd like to pass on:
1. After I got the differential set up it in Les' tool, I was able to loosen the factory Nylon nut with one finger. I checked to see if the assembly was loose before took the nut off and it was not, so
thankfully no damage to the gears. The RZR had 1500 miles and about 240 hours.

2. After installing the new pinion nut and oil seal I second guessed myself if I had kept my torque wrench straight (in line) with Les' fabricated wrench when I torqued it down. I remember that it was at
a slight angle beyond where I started, but I gave it an extra push after my torque wrench clicked several times. I asked my wife and she said it was "pretty straight". I did use the Permatex
threadlocker that Les recommended. So if you do it, make sure your torque wrench is straight with the fabricated wrench.

3. After I had installed the new pinion nut and seal it was 5 days before I got back to finishing the job. I had installed the drain plug with rubber oil ring 5 days before and luckily I noticed the little fluid
left in the housing had leaked slightly sitting on my work bench. So I knew I had to correct that problem before re-installing the differential. I had a cheap old tap and die set I had bought years ago
found what I thought was the correct tap. So first, I reluctantly I chased the threads in the housing, carefully vacuuming out the shavings. I threaded the plug into the die and ran it as far down as I
could. Lots of shavings. That tap and die size was 1/8 NPT 27. The rubber o-ring was a little squashed so I wrapped some PTFE Yellow thread tape for gas around the threads over the o-ring up to
the underside of the hex head. I was able to carefully tighten the plug with a 7/16" box end. No leaks after several days sitting there. I point this out because there is no way you you can tap out
those threads with the differential installed, at least I couldn't.

So there it is folks. This old shade tree mechanic was able to do the pinion nut job with great instructions and tools from the Pullerguy !
I am a proud member of the "Tight Nut Gang" ! I won't mention that club to any one else because it could be misinterpreted but I will proudly attach the sticker to my RZR.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
. . .That tap and die size was 1/8 NPT 27. . .
Correction, The drain plug thread is 3/8-24.

Polaris 5133731 PLUG, DRAIN (3/8-24 HEX HEAD STEEL WITH O-RING) (6408-03)
Parker # 3-903 O-RING (.301 ID X .064 CS per AS568B-903)

Reactions: cc.canada

·
Tribute100
32 Posts
Thanks CA 800.
My drain plug was brass, I even went by the dealer, they confirmed it was brass, but didn't have any in stock. I finally got them to tell me their stock number, which they said was Polaris 5133730, which is one number off yours, but they may have intentionally told me wrong because I said I wasn't going to buy one yet. I believe they told me that was the same plug for all the other drains on my 2012 RZR 800, a total of 4.

Anyway, they tap size I mentioned worked on mine and I was able to tighten it down to my satisfaction. The threads on both the plug and diff housing looked good with no cross threading. I guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i made my pinion nut socket. i didn't know what i was going to use to hold the splined shaft. i read on the rzr forums someone used the spline insert from a boat engine prop. just to let you know i used a bent prop from a 1996 yamaha 115 outboard to make the tool.. the splines are identical. thanks for the tip.
mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just wanted to throw this in here somewhere. I'm in Bakersfield, CA and have the tools. If someone comes across this post and they are close to me let me know.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
RZR_Scott:
If you PM us your contact information we will put you on the contact list. Glad to have you aboard the Tight Nut Gang Train.

Les

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Kramdua:
Functional is the important part. If you would be willing to help others in your area PM us your contact information and location, we will add you to the list. Put your address in the PM and we will send you a couple of "Tight Nut Gang" decals.

Thank you for the information.
Les

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Les,

That sounds more like a belt. The diff gives no warning. It just crashes all of a sudden.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's been a few years now since I joined the "Tight Nut Gang".

I have put 750 miles on my RZR 800-4 with no issues. My nut had "0" torque when we pulled it apart. I doubt that it would made another run without damage. I just changed the gear oil and it was clean. A big thanks to the guys for the help. I'll never forget you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It is looking like we will be setting up in Brenda second week of January, will know for sure after I see the surgeon Monday. Shoulder is doing well, PT will need to continue a while longer, can do that at home.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
THANK YOU to admin / moderator who returned this to a sticky. :)

Reactions: Snowdad and RWB713
1361 - 1380 of 1466 Posts