Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
681 - 700 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
When riding the Colorado mountain trails, my XP PRO has great throttle response. Less power, but does not drive noticeably different?? I have ridden at 14,000' MSL. Mt. Antero in the Pitkin, Co. area. I think 14k anyways. My machine has way plenty of power. More than I could ever use on mountain trails

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correction Factor

In a Dyno room. Typically, (simplified) after dyno pulls and after A/F ratio and timing adjusted then, baseline #'s are acquired. Then........... A correction factor is entered into the equation to simulate Sea Level air quality. Correction factor in an easy way to manipulate peak power #'s.

Gathered peak power (HP & Tq) dyno #'s and Sea Level Air Quality Correction Factor to rate an internal combustion engines peak output. I thought this was the "Industry Standard" as to how you do it. ?? :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ll give you that, when I was up in Silverton for a week, we rode all those high passes. Engineer, California, etc. plenty of time over 12,000ft and a little at 13k. ‘14xp1000

Wayyyy down on power, but I wasn’t trying to be speed racer up there either. Wouldn’t be prudent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pro R also has throttle modes. I wonder if using ( sport mode I think ) would up the responsiveness of the throttle.
note I said responsiveness I did not say power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am really liking the idea of owning a PRO R. Again, like my XP PRO I am thinking to own the Sport model.
Yes, the exact reason I want the Base model is because it is cheaper!!

What will make my decision for me to own a PRO R Sport model is......... Has Polaris greatly reduced the heat in the cab on the N/A PRO R compared to the XP PRO???

·
Registered
29 Posts
When riding the Colorado mountain trails, my XP PRO has great throttle response. Less power, but does not drive noticeably different?? I have ridden at 14,000' MSL. Mt. Antero in the Pitkin, Co. area. I think 14k anyways. My machine has way plenty of power. More than I could ever use on mountain trails
This is counter intuitive to what I would expect.
I experienced the opposite with a turbo motor good power but less responsiveness due to lag.
not challenging you just find it interesting. We may be interpreting things differently. There is a quick surge of power but it is delayed due to increased time to build boost. Also may be due to cvt drive has more rpm before engaging load than my JL with 8 speed auto that I was using on those trails

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am really liking the idea of owning a PRO R. Again, like my XP PRO I am thinking to own the Sport model.
Yes, the exact reason I want the Base model is because it is cheaper!!

What will make my decision for me to own a PRO R Sport model is......... Has Polaris greatly reduced the heat in the cab on the N/A PRO R compared to the XP PRO???
Pro R being wider may help with that too as I have heard the rear tires act as an air pump pushing engine heat forward and with them being less enclosed it may help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is counter intuitive to what I would expect.
I experienced the opposite with a turbo motor good power but less responsiveness due to lag.
not challenging you just find it interesting. We may be interpreting things differently. There is a quick surge of power but it is delayed due to increased time to build boost.
Talking polaris factory turbo machine, I have been running stage 2 AA tune and AA S3 clutch for 2500ish miles. Last couple hundred miles on my machine I have been running stage 3 AA tune. At altitude I notice less power. Less power even with a clean/fresh air cleaner. In the mountains, I am never very heavy in the throttle to notice turbo lag?

In the big mountains, on the fire roads, or just the main dirt roads for highway vehicles, when I am driving I never go very fast. Always have this thought of a deer running out in front of me and just know I will impact this deer on my wifes side of the machine. Not a pleasant thought so I dont haul ass on mountain trails or roads with heavy tree cover on side of trails and roads.

When climbing in the rocks, sometimes I am in the throttle a bit so same as brake boosting. I notice less power but don't really notice turbo lag. I dont hear my AA blowoff valve relieving pressure when throttle plate closes. Again, in the mountains, rarely ever very heavy in the throttle.

Back at home 3600' MSL, I notice a small amount of turbo lag when heavily accelerating from a stop.
Still, a very small amount of turbo lag. From a dead stop, if I brake boost a small amount turbo lag is gone.

2800ish miles on my machine. Possibly I have gotten use to the throttle?

I am still running the factory carnivores my machine came with! 2800+ miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Talking polaris factory turbo machine, I have been running stage 2 AA tune and AA S3 clutch for 2500ish miles. Last couple hundred miles on my machine I have been running stage 3 AA tune. At altitude I notice less power. Less power even with a clean/fresh air cleaner. In the mountains, I am never very heavy in the throttle to notice turbo lag?

In the big mountains, on the fire roads, or just the main dirt roads for highway vehicles, when I am driving I never go very fast. Always have this thought of a deer running out in front of me and just know I will impact this deer on my wifes side of the machine. Not a pleasant thought so I dont haul ass on mountain trails or roads with heavy tree cover on side of trails and roads.

When climbing in the rocks, sometimes I am in the throttle a bit so same as brake boosting. I notice less power but don't really notice turbo lag. I dont hear my AA blowoff valve relieving pressure when throttle plate closes. Again, in the mountains, rarely ever very heavy in the throttle.

Back at home 3600' MSL, I notice a small amount of turbo lag when heavily accelerating from a stop.
Still, a very small amount of turbo lag. From a dead stop, if I brake boost a small amount turbo lag is gone.

2800ish miles on my machine. Possibly I have gotten use to the throttle?

I am still running the factory carnivores my machine came with! 2800+ miles.
Curious where is home? Just asking because you said 3600 feet. I am out of Knoxville Tennessee. So that’s about our average trail altitude here too

·
Registered
141 Posts
Southwest Kansas. Flat, open, no trees and dry. Desert area. Not many people. Everybody knows your business. Closest Walmart 45 miles. Great place to live. :)

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
1,115 Posts
This subject keeps repeating itself and the fact is, yes you do lose significant HP at high elevation. This isn't to be debated. The Pro R WILL lose HP at high altitude whether you want to believe it or not. An engine is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you can get through the engine, the more HP you'll make. The opposite is also true. I think a lot of people not buying into it have never been at high altitude and saw for themselves how drastic the change in power can be. This horse has been beaten to death too many times.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am sure Polaris rates the pro R engine horsepower at a higher elevation than normal just so you don't look stupider than normal on the forum. 🤣

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

We take a break from your regularly-scheduled High-Altitude-Performance Forum Argument to talk about the only riding that really matters. This guy says he is running Pro Comp steel wheels with Rogue 32” 12-paddle tires. 86.5” wide!! Gonna be so amazing in the Imperial Sand Dunes.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
View attachment 688478
We take a break from your regularly-scheduled High-Altitude-Performance Forum Argument to talk about the only riding that really matters. This guy says he is running Pro Comp steel wheels with Rogue 32” 12-paddle tires. 86.5” wide!! Gonna be so amazing in the Imperial Sand Dunes.
"#BIGBOOTYJUDY" You got that right!

681 - 700 of 720 Posts