Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i bought this 2014 a couple months ago, and spent the last 60 days or so building it how i wanted it, and i just now finally got it back from getting wrapped, so im ready to put some wheels and tires on it.

Ive read through numerous threads about installing larger tires, and im still torn between the idea. I want about 2-3" of lift, and i figure that i can get some of that lift by swapping to 30" tires....

I do absolutely no dune riding, we mostly trail ride, and exploration ride, just random woods, under 35mph. We do have to get to these trails, so yes, i occasionally drive this thing on the fire roads around here at about 50mph or so, tops, but any time its not on a fire road, im under 35mph. Im not looking for crazy acceleration, i do like to have some torque and power, to make it through and over obstacles, but im never riding wide open, ever.

Would i be making a mistake by up sizing my wheels and tires to a 30" OD model? Will it affect my machine to negatively for acceleration or handling? If so, how bad should i expect it to be? Will it cause axle problems?

What is a good aggressive tire, that will work well in a wide variety of conditions? rocks, mud, dirt, hard pack gravel....

Would i be better off keeping my 27" tire size, and doing a suspension lift? or would upgrading my wheels and tires, while gaining some lift be a better option? both versions are in my budget, but i would like the most bang for the buck.

i attached some pictures, pre and post the new graphic wrap.

·
Supporting Vendor
2,399 Posts
An excellent all around tire that comes in a 30 inch tall tire is the STI Rocktane XD. It is an 8 ply rated tire that is super tough and comes with an extra deep rim protector.

You would need to do a front fender relocation mod to get them to fit.

They come in 30x10R-14. Here is a link to them on our web site:

Ratings, reviews and specifications for STI Tires Roctane XD tires

Here is a photo of one of our Managers RZR 4 900 XP with 28x10R-14 all the way around:

This is coming up Hells Gate in Moab

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

·
Razorholic
1,705 Posts
I would suggest some Method 402's to go with them too. I know Discount has them in stock too, BTW, I dig your wrap, looks bad ass!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have 28" Roctaines from Discount and they are great. I have just over 1000 miles on them and they show very little wear. Mine is a set of 5 and I rotate the spare in and out, I figure I might as well wear it out with the rest to get the most out of the set.

I did put a Dalton clutch in and it has put the power back to stock or better. These are heavy tires so I do recommend some sort of big tire clutch mod.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Yup, I really, really like my Pitbull 27.5" Rockers. You can get them at Discount Tires as well.

If you have a 2" lift, then you should not have problems with fender clearance.

Now...on that account. You should have offset wheels or wheel spacers. I run Polaris 14" wheels that have offset.

With the two above, you won't have rubbing on the motor mounts which will ruin the inside sidewall.

You will have a bit of rubbing when you turn the wheel fully, either way. But how long do you keep it that way? In two seasons with these tires I see no damage at all.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just joined this forum I finally got my rzr4 for x-mas. After a few years of waiting to get one. I was thinking of doing 28x10x14 bighorns but, I'd rather have the roctanes with the 8 ply rating. Could someone post a link to do the fender relocation mod. Also im planning on going with stronger axels and clutch kit is there any suggestions on what brands to go with? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I highly recommend the roctanes, and the customer service from method wheels is hands down the best I have ever seen. They are by far better to deal with than hiper

·
Registered
857 Posts
Here is my xp with 28 10 14s all around for reference. These run big and measure around 28.5". With the fender mod it will just barely rub the plastic cleats for the mud flaps. But if that's a problem for you they can be trimmed off too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds good guys thanks... Ill be ordering the rocktanes with in the next couple weeks. Should I Do the Rhino axles too right away or could I just take it easy on the trails until my funds allow me to purchase them? And one last thing is the stock clutch good enough to handle the bigger diameter tires? Its ok if im robbed of power off the line. My top speed might get up to thirty on the trails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts