Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was lucky enough to be able to compare all three, although it was about 1 week apart. Drove the Can am at the off road show last weekend. It was the 1000 with the fox shocks. Also did the Rzr S and 4 seater a fews days prior. My 2cents. The Can am had more to it. Better seat belts, seats and some techy safety stuff. Built like a tank. Also felt heavy. I did not like how the guages move with the tilt wheel. Motor vibrates alot, must be a v twin? The 2seater Rzr S felt light and fast. Great suspension. Its over 300 lbs pounds lighter than the Can an and you can feel it. As far as power, it was a short test drive, but either one would break the wheels loose when you barely step on it. I would choose the Rzr S over the Can am just because of the heavy feel and the suspension on the S felt better. The big surprise for me was the Rzr 4 seater. What a cadillac ride! Night and day better than either of the other two. Over jumps, whoops, what ever we did, the 4 was outstanding. It felt longer, more like a car sliding around, more control, but with amazing suspension. As far as power goes, you would really have to spend a day riding where you plan to use it, sand or dirt. I would never have guessed that the Can am had more power, but that may have been different if I had more time. My pick? The 4 seater just has such a good ride, the 2 seaters were just sliding all over the place in comparison. Leaning towards the 4 seater.:ride:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Polaris put time engineering the rzr4 and they made a cadillac out of the factory.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I want to see an 800 commander vs rzr 800 maybe they will be neck by neck in a race.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I want to see an 800 commander vs rzr 800 maybe they will be neck by neck in a race.
Actually, the Can Am walks away in a drag race according to the video they put out. More HP....the RZR being only 760 cc . :sad:

Nice review Terry ! :)

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Great review. I drove our Commander and loved it! We have a RZR-S here and that is a blast to drive, fast, light, nimble and I love how you can slide it around but in the end I think I will keep my RZR 4. It still provides fun and I can take the family.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by RZRUAE
Actually, the Can Am walks away in a drag race according to the video they put out. More HP....the RZR being only 760 cc .

Nice review Terry !
If they drag race a holz stage 3 BB rzr vs a commander 800,what do you think will win?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by RZRUAE
Actually, the Can Am walks away in a drag race according to the video they put out. More HP....the RZR being only 760 cc .

Nice review Terry !
If they drag race a holz stage 3 BB rzr vs a commander 800,what do you think will win?
My money would be on the Holz......but, then again, I don't have much money !

After all, I own a RZR 4 I'd get off cheaper with two girlfriends on the side! :rofl3:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
My money would be on the Holz......but, then again, I don't have much money !

After all, I own a RZR 4 I'd get off cheaper with two girlfriends on the side!
LOL.

H

·
0 Posts
Of course the commander has more power. 800 vs 1000 it better have more
Yes we all know the 976cc Rotax makes more power than the 760 cc Polaris motor..alot more..
But I see a few people throwing around CCs here lately like that is the deciding factor in an engines STOCK performance...and obvioulsy it isn't..take for instance...952 CC Prowler 1000..49.5kw vs the 799.9CC Commander 800...52.6kw
I know the saying about displacement...but that only applies if all ele is equal..
Just throwing it out there...saw someone a day or two ago saying "we need a bigger engine"..I think it would be better to say we need more power, else Polaris may give us a 40hp 1000 cc RZR:rofl3: Which would you rather have...800 cc with 70 hp or 1000 cc with 60 hp? I'm sure someone will say the 1000 because of it's potential but we all know that Polaris doesn't make things easy when it comes to unleashing potential...

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Actually, the Can Am walks away in a drag race according to the video they put out. More HP....the RZR being only 760 cc . :sad:

Nice review Terry ! :)
Here in the Ozarks, drag racing is pretty much out of the question. I know we can go up a 45 degree trail in the woods with tons of rocks and trees in the way, and do it with total ease at 15 mph, and just above a quarter throttle in the RZR. Don't know what else we'd need in these here hills besides 760cc of humming perfection. Desert running, maybe, but we don't need a 1000 cc engine in this rough terrain. Guaranteed!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Steve, you make an excellent point. The only car I ever drag race out in the desert will blow my RZR away in first gear. :sad:

Maybe I need to hang with more RZR's ? :rofl3:

I saw a climb comparison - not official mind you, but it was a couple of guys, one in a Rhino and one in a Commander, climbing sand hills from a standing start in 4wd. Looked about equal to me.

But, I do admit to be going blind, so take that for what it's worth. :)

·
rzrs24
775 Posts
who's drivin the rzr s, i cant believe the 800r beat it by that much. i think he was sandbaggin!

·
Ridin' above 10,000 ft!
4,850 Posts
Really surprised the 800r dominated by that much? The RZR is better lookin'...so there....in your face CanAm!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
The above drag racing video does not make sense to me. The first race against the Teryx was pretty darn close yet the Razor S appeared to finsih in a spot behind the Teryx.

No matter who puts out the video, that manufacturer will win!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing I would like to point out,,,,, I did not do a drag race test drive. I did an assortment of driving other than sand. Whoops, jumps, and major bumps. In that situation which might reflect more real life driving, the Rzr 4 was the stand out. Just my opinion and I know everyone likes something different. I would highly reccomend a test drive before you lay down you hard earned cash. They were all nice, just different.
Terry

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ive got the RZR 4 and love it. The RIDE SAYS IT ALL to coin a phrase from Can Am. Im a Cam Am fan, I had an 07 Can Am 800 xt and loved it. The power was awesome but in the end I got tired of hauling it, my 08 RZR (2 seater) and my Suzuki Vinson around. So I sold the RZR and Can Am, and got the 4. I haven't regreted it yet. We just got back yesterday from a 90 mile ride up in Arkansas and I can't tell you how many times my wife and I said to each other how great this thing rides and how nice it is to have all the family together at one time. You can have all the power in the world but in the end, comfort and ride quality will out weigh it (JM.02 cents worth).

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Of course the commander has more power. 800 vs 1000 it better have more
Yes we all know the 976cc Rotax makes more power than the 760 cc Polaris motor..alot more..
But I see a few people throwing around CCs here lately like that is the deciding factor in an engines STOCK performance...and obvioulsy it isn't..take for instance...952 CC Prowler 1000..49.5kw vs the 799.9CC Commander 800...52.6kw
I know the saying about displacement...but that only applies if all ele is equal..
Just throwing it out there...saw someone a day or two ago saying "we need a bigger engine"..I think it would be better to say we need more power, else Polaris may give us a 40hp 1000 cc RZR:rofl3: Which would you rather have...800 cc with 70 hp or 1000 cc with 60 hp? I'm sure someone will say the 1000 because of it's potential but we all know that Polaris doesn't make things easy when it comes to unleashing potential...
I am not sure if anybody else was talking about it, but I posted the other day about the 850 XP engine polaris makes for the sportsman. That is a 70 HP motor which would equal the rotax 800 engine in the commander. It stands to mention that the commander 1000 is rated at 85 HP. With the weight difference of the 2 machines, I'll bet you the RZR would beat the 1000!

And this is an engine they dont have to retool for- its already in production just make a new RZR frame to fit it! Seems like that would be so obvious but hey I am only a avid consumer, lol.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
One thing I would like to point out,,,,, I did not do a drag race test drive. I did an assortment of driving other than sand. Whoops, jumps, and major bumps. In that situation which might reflect more real life driving, the Rzr 4 was the stand out. Just my opinion and I know everyone likes something different. I would highly recommend a test drive before you lay down you hard earned cash. They were all nice, just different.
Terry
I spotted you as a brilliant fellow from your first post......and you just confirmed it ! :notworthy:

You know......the Governor's job will be open out here in a short while.....we could use some smarts in that office!:hihi:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts