Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
In a normal season there would be endless trails to ride, however this year is different due to the effects of winter snow. With that being said there are still lots of trails to ride but some will just be an in and out trip rather than a loop. Cross Mountain, Slaughterhouse Gulch, Lilly Pond, Pie Plant Mine site are a few of the popular trails that you can do now. Lots of easy side trails between Tin Cup and Taylor Park too. Taylor Pass to Taylor Lakes is rough as usual but a neat ride. Can't go into Pitkin County via Taylor Pass (2018 Pitkin County ATV rules) even if it wasn't snowed shut.
Flag Mt/Italian Mt normally is open by now, but due to current snow you can only go as far as Oliver's Cabin near Star Mine. Not sure about Reno Ridge but Cement Creek was closed at Warm Spring Ranch last word I had.
Tellurium Creek trail is open but not the back side. Tin Cup Pass, Hancock, are still snowed in. Mirror Lake is full and the road along the side is under several feet of water. Last word I had Cumberland Pass was open to the top from the Pitkin side. Lots of other trails that I haven't mentioned that may be open by the time you get there. Conditions change daily, should be plenty to ride by August.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just got back. Cumberland pass just opened last week, about July 1. It was closed when we first arrived. It is the ONLY pass open. All others are blocked by snow or avalanches as of July 7

Doubt Tincup will open this year due to Mirror lake being so full.

Mosquitoes are pretty bad in some spots. Lots of moisture.

Still lots of great riding. Its really green. Looks like March up there. Lots & lots of water.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What the trails look like to every pass in Taylor Park. Last week, July 4

Tincup/Mirror lake.

Can't remember.

Heading to Alpine Tunnel.

Flag Mountain, just past Olivers cabin. Those are my high mark tracks.

Another one. Pretty sure it is 742.

Another one. They all started to look the same.

And another.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just got back from a few weeks at the cabin.
Hancock opened while we were there. Still a few patches of snow but nothing to bad.
Tomichi Pass is still closed due to the rock slide.
Alpine Tunnel trail still closed, but you can walk to the tunnel site.
Mirror Lake is still to full to see all of the road that runs along the side. No idea if Tin Cup Pass is open on the St Elmo side.
Napolean Pass is still snowed shut at the top. Both options have long patches of snow at the top. We went up from the Pitkin side.
Slaughterhouse Gulch and Cross Mt are fine.
Italian Creek/Flag Mt. are fine. Rough and rocky but that is normal. They have re-routed the trail at Oliver's Cabin which is much better.
Reno Ridge and Cement Creek is open to the end at Tilton Mt.
Tellurium Creek is open to the Wilderness Gate. The back side and the ledge road are snowed shut. Can't get to the rock slide where the Flag is.
Pearl Pass is still snowed shut in several places on the west side.
All of the lower trails are open like Pie Plant, Red Mt. Lilly Pond and trails feeding the Doctor Park trail off of Spring Creek road.

Moose can be seen around Texas Creek bridge and Cottonwood Pass gate.
Also along Willow Creek near Holt's and Texas Creek below the Lakes. Cumberland Pass road on the Pitkin side near the old mine site that everyone like to play around.
Elk up in the end of Tellurium
Deer are plentiful around the park

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on conditions? Is St. Elmo to Tincup (including mirror lake) passable on ATVs? Is Tin cup to Pitkin on cumberland pass passable?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was out there from 8-21 thru 8-28 and didn't have any trouble with snow or water. Mirror lake went down visibly while there. Did Tincup to St. Elmo, Mt. Antero, Napolean, cement creek, Taylor pass, Cumberland, Slaughterhouse, no issues on any of them. Go enjoy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I’ve got a group planning a trip out to Taylor Park next year. Right now we’ve planned the trip for the first part of June. Is that just too early to be enjoyable? This would be our first SXS trip to Colorado, I don’t want it to be a wastes trip.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honcho is correct about June being to early for Taylor Park. We have been there for July 4 and for a normal year there is a lot of trails that are still snowed in. Late heavy snow can change that to August like it did this year. Taylor Park has so much to offer but I would suggest you schedule later in the summer so you can enjoy it all.
Late is better than early. Right now is perfect weather and it isn't all that busy. Great area for fall color rides.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honcho is correct about June being to early for Taylor Park. We have been there for July 4 and for a normal year there is a lot of trails that are still snowed in. Late heavy snow can change that to August like it did this year. Taylor Park has so much to offer but I would suggest you schedule later in the summer so you can enjoy it all.
Late is better than early. Right now is perfect weather and it isn't all that busy. Great area for fall color rides.
We called out and changed our reservations to mid August. I think we’ll end up have a much better time. Plus it will be a nice escape from the Kansas heat in August.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can any of you that have been to Taylor Park recommend places or towns nearby that you can rent cabins or houses. What are the closest towns to taylor park that you can ride UTV's from and not have to load them on trailers . This is for next year, We have checked the Trading Post but larger cabins already booked for next year

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Can any of you that have been to Taylor Park recommend places or towns nearby that you can rent cabins or houses. What are the closest towns to taylor park that you can ride UTV's from and not have to load them on trailers . This is for next year, We have checked the Trading Post but larger cabins already booked for next year
You can try Pitkin. It's over Cumberland Pass from Taylor Park.

My cousin rented a house for a group there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts