Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Talk me out of a Turbo S Velocity and into a regular Turbo (4 seater)

11K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  mannysouza 
#1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 and originally intended to get the XP4 Turbo as an upgrade from my 2013 XP4. After doing some thinking and shopping, it seems that the Velocity for about 3k more makes too much sense not to buy. My riding plans include 2-3 trips to the Sand dunes in Michigan a year, small trips to local 4x4 parks in IL and Indiana, and one “big trip” a year to Moab, Windrock Park, etc.

The 32” tires and extra travel and upgraded drivetrain seem very worth the 3k premium.

I am not worried about trail width as I don’t really ever ride in Wisconsin where there are size limits that prohibit registration in ATV trails.

Anyone have the same debate and not go with the Velocity or would avoid it for any reason I am not thinking of?

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
The Dynamix and ride command don't seem worth the large premium after factoring the discounted cost on the Velocity. I don't care about the ride command and the Dynamix alone doesn't push me over the edge for that amount of cash.

I figure I will keep this 2-3 years then move up to the latest evolution if I feel I am lacking. These RZR's seems to evolve faster than computers did in the late 90's.

Tom

#7 ·
The dynamix and ride command don't seem with the large premium after factoring the dscounted cost on the Velocity. I don't care about the ride command and the Dynamix alone doesn't push me over the edge for that amount of cash.

I figure I will keep this 2-3 years then move up to the latest evolution if I feel I am lacking. These RZR's seems to evolve faster than computers did in the late 90's.

Tom
I agree. The 2020 cost has been reduced by $3,200. You're really only saving $300 if you buy a closeout 19 with the rebate. Not that great of deal except I don't like the new baby blue accents on the 2020. I do wish it came with a roof. $750 for roof seems excessive.

#6 ·
Look at what comes stock on the Dynamix and what you will have to add on the Velocity, like doors etc. to bring it up to what the Dynamix has stock. If you like to explore the back country then you will learn to love the Ride command. Plus all the addition information it offers like turbo boost etc. You will also learn to really appreciate the adjustable suspension. Don't give up just because it cost a little more. It is so worth it to have all the features of the Dynamix.

You could end up like my daughter, wishing she had more and planning on upgrading as soon as she can.

Remember you did say to talk you out of the Velocity.

#8 ·
Remember you did say to talk you out of the Velocity.

I wanted to be talked down to the regular turbo, not up the the S!

The reality is I won't use the RZR enough to justify the upgrades. I live in the midwest so everything is closed parks or smaller areas of trails in nearby states. I will get out in the RZR for one or two week long trips and then some weekends here and there. I also ride dirt bikes but do that way more often because local MX tracks and trails are only an hour away for those.

What got me thinking about a new one was my 2013 lacking in two departments - speed in the dunes at Silver Lake in Michigan and tire size and ground clearance to go wheeling with my buddies in their rock crawlers on 35"-40" tires.

It is a small investment to sell my 2013 and one of my motorcycles for around 14k total and upgrade to an 18k XP4 turbo. Then, getting the 32's, 4 point harnesses, and better suspension and running gear seems to make sense to get up to 21k for the deeply discounted Velocity. I would have to pay 5k+ or more for the S that is not discounted.

#10 ·
Have a 19 xpt 4 and after about 7k in upgrades, it's perfect. Literally perfect: speed, handling, safety, etc. No regrets at all. With new tires and rims I'm 69" wide, I fit everywhere. Buy a velocity at 72" inches wide with upgrades you're over 30k. 64" inch wide turbo with upgrades you're at 27k. And I'm talking about 4 seaters. 2 seaters will be a little less expensive. Fyi I'm running 31's, I don't follow the crowd. Just my .02

Attachments

#12 ·
Damn, you rig looks really sweet. I don't plan on doing that many upgrades to mine. For example, I don't care about a roof since I ride with an MX helmet on and I don't care about a lot of stuff like speakers and different doors and all of that.

My upgrade plans include bumper and maybe a winch and spare tire mount. Maybe a set of sand paddles. That's it. I wanted as close to turn key as possible, but that is what is great about these RZR's, so many options we can really make them exactly how we want them.

#11 ·
I almost decided to upgrade to a regular S as Abernathy's had one at 26k or so out the door, without tax. In IL it is the law to register and title it and some horror stories are out there for things catching up with people who didn't pay the sales tax. Also, when it is time to sell, that makes deals fall apart around me when there is not a clear title.

So 26k becomes 26k plus tax and I paid 23,300 out the door including all taxes and titling fees.

I will watch how the RZR's evolve over the next couple years and see how the Dynamix suspension holds up and improves. I can pull the trigger then if I feel the need on a more upgraded version.

#13 ·
My upgrades:
Cage $2559
Roof came with the cage
Light bar came with the cage
AA tuner, blowoff, intake, s3 clutch kit and charge tube $1500
Rims and tires $1200
ST level 4 spring kit $800
Rock Ready reciling seat bases$250
S &B particle separator $400
Polaris lock and ride box $300
4 point harness free from dealer
Side mirrors $50
Half window $100
Side light pods free from buddy
Side kicker bars. $250
Lower doors $400
Tire carrier $400
Money I made back:
Stock tires $800
Stock cage $100
No labor, I did everything myself that way I knew it was done right.
All my upgrades are for performance and safety. I prefer the sound of the engine over a radio. Run her in stage 1 always. Haven't been beat yet. 2 and 4 seat can ams beat them both. My buddies 4 seat can am is close and he runs a evo stage 2. 2 seaters aren't heavy enough to get traction, they just spin the tires. Got video proof if you don't believe me. And I have stage 3 if ever needed. With all that being said, my buddies 4 seat can am does ride a bit smoother, but he has $40k+ in his. I'll put mine up against any turbo S and still be happy with the outcome, win or lose. Just my .02

#17 ·
Jeff - That is one SEXY side chick you have there...GOOD LORD brother... I also have the blue XPT4, love your idea of 31's...lol Nice rig... Thank you for your service as well..... HU RAH..[/QUOTE]

Thank you. See my previous post to the OP. The wife gets real pissed when I tell her im going to go ride "Maria", that's what I named her. She just shakes her head at me.

Semper Fi.

To the OP, did you decide on a ride yet?

#30 ·
The cost difference right now between the two make it a no brainer over the XPT. I placed a factory order for a 2019 Turbo S Velocity 2 Seater a few weeks ago. For me its the upgraded drive terrain that sold me. Coming from the XP1K Chassis the parts are not even comparable.

#32 ·
I like both. I have a 2016 XP4T and I had no choice in the matter but mine is pretty modded with aftermarket suspension and shocks. The one thing I do like is that I have more lines to take on the trail with a narrower car. Yes I have less travel but with King Internal Bypass shocks and HCR arms the car performs amazing. I am not sure what I would get today if I was in the market, probably a 2 seat can am XRC.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.