Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Swaybars... To disconnect or Not to diconnect?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  JustinHEMI 
#1 ·
Well I have been thinking about trying to get a little more travel out of my ride because my trails are mostly rocks and they are sometimes pretty big. If I had a bit more travel it might make it a little easier on the machine. So... Do you just unbolt them and remove them completley? Does anyone have photos of theirs disconnected or better yet a video? Do I do the front and the rear? Is there a quick way to reconnect them and disconnect them for on and off road use. I am a little scared to just go ahead and do it becaue first of all I don't know what the hell i'm doing and second of all I hear it makes the vehicle very unstable at high speeds...

Any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
There's a number of factors you have to consider...

1. Do you have aftermarket shocks?
2. What is your current width?
3. Do you have a lift kit?

Aftermarket shocks will be stiffer, and obviously out-perform the stock shocks...which will help to compensate for the RZR being tippy.

Your overall width (wider being better) will obviously help to overcome the RZR from being tippy

Some lift kits have the option of a front quick disconnect sway bar...such as RacerTech's.

I disconnected my front sway bar a long time ago and will never reconnect it. I simply removed the sway bar links and swung the horizontal bar forward and zip tied it securely. The front end needs lots of parts to be removed in order to remove this bar!

As far as the rear sway bar, I removed mine prior to going to the Oregon Dunes and I liked how the machine performed. My normal riding is trail, rocks, technical, etc., but I haven't had a chance to test my machine without front or rear sway bars in these normal riding conditions. I suspect it will be very good. The only thing left on my RZR from the rear sway bar is the horizontal bracket that the actual sway bar sat in...only because the exhaust is supported by this brace.

Yes, at high speeds, the machine will react differently, but you will learn it's new handling characteristcis and how much steering input is needed to control. Worse comes to worse, and you don't like it, bolt the rear swaybar back on...it's very easy to do.

#5 ·
If you aren't trying to drift corners, remove them both...

I removed my front after one ride, and noticed no perceivable difference. Take the whole bar off, once you pull the hood tray (7 torx screws) you'll have plenty of room to remove the 4 bolts that keep the front bar in place.

I ran without the rear for a while too, hard cornering does add a lot of sway. I got used to it (more power = more drift) but it can be a handful. The rear is easy enuf to pull one link off and see how you like it.

I switched to the ATR with disconnects...best of all worlds.

#6 ·
I agree with you Woody...Took fronts off first & liked it, then I took rears off & what a difference on the trails. A lot smoother it seemed. I have Elka's so it's not too mushy in the corners. It feels like it leans a little more in the corners but I got used to it like you said....C-Ya

#7 ·
Excellent advice. Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be taking these suckers off soon. I do alot of trail riding over rocky surfaces and I'm betting it's very simmilar to what trails you are riding on bilinvic up there in BC. Sometimes it's just grit your teeth and go because no matter how you position yourself your beating the bike up over the rocks. This quick mod should help me at least tackel the larger rocks a little more gently.

As per what bilinvic said in his first post: I don't have after market springs, I don't have a lift kit "Yet", My rzr is about 54" wide from the outside of each rear tire (Big horns with after market wheels). I do plan on purchasing a 2" or 3" lift kit in the near future though and I will probably get one that comes with quick disconnect swaybars so I can have the best of both worlds.

Also to help with the rocks I'm going to purchase the full meal deal from FUTV and get all the UHMW accessories.

#8 ·
I just posted this on another thread but we just added a quick disconnect kit to our website for the guys wanting both options. This is the same kit as what we offer with our Racer Tech lift kit. It's $25 and can be purchased HERE. Just another option for the people looking.

We've heard so many opinions about the sway bar keep/dump topic through the years of these machines it's crazy. Overall I'd say it seems to be about a 50/50 split between the opinions though. You just have to try it for yourself.

#9 ·
Other than rock crawling, I leave mine hooked on. I personally feel that the machine feels too sloppy without them. However, I suspect I could get used to it if I went without long enough. As some have mentioned, the ride is smoother.

#12 ·
I have the rubberdown 2 inch lift with 1.5 inch spacers and elka shocks and this past weekend I took the front sway bar off for the first time. Like someone previously said, I didnt really notice a big difference in sway or roll or anything like that. Next is the rear, but front is off for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.