Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone. This post is more for the vendors but would love advise from my fellow gimps. As the title says I'm a C6/7 quad and have had several modified machines starting from the Honda 350 Oddy, the 400 Oddy, '08 RZR 800 (still own), and currently a have a modified '12 RZR 800. So been riding for years with no problems.

Now I'm about to turn 50 and developed some skin issues last year on the gluteus maximus. All healed up but I've also lost 40 lbs so to save you any details I'm pretty boney on the hind side.

So here we go. I currently utilize a Racecraft suspension seat. I'm concerned because of the hardness of the vinyl it could cause another skin breakdown. I don't want to go to cloth because that causes shearing with movement. So my idea is to top the suspension seat with a Roho cushion like I use in the wheelchair so I'm riding on air.

I have OSU seating department ready to pressure map my seat in my RZR. However, I measured out the inside dimensions of my seat and I believe I would need to get a special Roho to fit correctly. Something like 8 cells long front to back with 9 cells in the front 4 rows, 8 cells in the center 2 rows, and 7 cells in the back 2 rows. My current suspension seats I bought when I bought the '08 RZR so they are 8 years old currently.

My other option I was thinking was to replace my suspension seats with new ones. I would like to have ones with interior dimensions that would fit my current Roho set up. It is 16" x 16". Then I could just use my spare Roho when riding.

Any vendors out there recommend their suspension seat made for a RZR that fits these dimensions? Got some pics and specs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello ed,
I dont yet have a rzr but Im currently in the same boat. Dealing with a bad butt pressure sore thats currently got me sidelined. It has given me time to plan ahead with what ill need for my rzr and ive found these:

QuadBoss | UTV Air Seat

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1025/47359/Moose-Racing-RZR-Air-Cushion-Seat

The main cushion isnt multi-cell like most rohos. It replaces the stock rzr seat cushion.

I would like to know if anyone has tried one and how well it works cause i dont want to go through this sore again...its killing my social life lol

Anyone?

First post btw! weeee!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the stretchy cloth on the Beard cloth suspension seats is the way to go. They are very soft. 53m T6 with full left arm brachial plexus injury so it's a limp noodle since 1993. 3 years post ischium flap surgery. Over the last year I have gone up to 4 hours on the stock seat without a mark but it was a very active day with lots of whoops, hill climbs and zero G near jumps. I think it helps keep the blood flowing where if I just sit in there I hurt (disreflexia) like hell in less than an hour.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey steveindajeep,
I've seen those UTV air seats on the net before. I think they are good in theory but not sure how they would perform for quad like me. Since they are single chamber I'm not sure if they would be beneficial or just hammock and cause pressure issues. I'd like to get a similar setup as what I sit on all day long so I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I guess I could always go get it pressure mapped.

Hey Straight Shooter,
I'm hesitant when it comes to cloth or tweed covers. My fear is shearing on the skin. I've had good luck with the soft vinyl and it allows for some movement. I steer clear of those stock seats. To hard for my liking.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The stock seats are hard as a rock but since they fit my but like no other seat it's going to be a bit before it will damage me. If I did it often enough it would get me for sure so I limit my rides to about once a month till I get some cloth suspended seats. The cloth isn't so sticky you won't be able to slide around a little. Shear shouldn't be an issue. I would be much more afraid of getting a leak in an air seat that in the heat of battle you may not notice until its way too late. I use a Roho daily but have had more than a few leaks that I was lucky to catch and get to help before I got hurt real bad. The rehabs are full of guys with major sores from Roho leaks. A single bladder not only won't breath but it puts pressure everywhere usually where you don't want it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was discussing this same thing with my seating vendor. We were looking more towards a custom Jay cushion verses a Roho for the very same reasons you mentioned. I just use the ROHO now on top of my Suspension seat. That's what I'm trying to get away from. Sits me just high enough in the seat the side bolsters don't give me enough containment. I use 5-point harness that keep me in place but it still allows movement when riding on the side on some of the steep Ohio hills.

I am even good with foam if it is memory foam or at least soft enough to mold verses some of the high density foams that are like sitting on a board.

I had an old Oddy 350 with a Kirkey seat that had a cloth cover. Spent 11 days in the hospital with an erupted pilonidal cyst. Now could have been the stinky suspension on that old Oddy, could have been the lack of cushion in that Kirkey race seat, or could have been the shearing on the cloth seat cover, but one thing for sure I never want to do that again. The Oddy was traded up for a Pilot, the seat was traded up for a suspension seat, and the cover was changed out to Vinyl. Something worked cause it fixed the issue.

I agree on the single bladder 100%.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't blame cloth. That cyst wasn't caused by the seat and it had to burst eventually. Those are pretty much inherited and then develop over time until they eventually bust. Probably did you a favor to take care of it before you got any older and skin around it got worse as you age. Kirkey aluminum seats don't have much of anything under them for padding unless you put it in there.

My first off road ride after my injury in 93 was in a fresh 400 Pilot. We thrashed on each other for a few hours here in my dunes in North Bend OR. All fun and games till it was time to get me our of it. Almost needed the jaws of life. I don't want to go through that again.

I am 6' and 200 pounds. Still a pretty tight fit when trying to get out with no way to help other than flap my one good arm. Reminded me of being the victim of a cub scout litter relay race. You just plan on getting dumped a few times.

The XP1000 is like it was made for me. Take the door off, chair armrest off and it's a even slide right over both ways. Only need one person to help.

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts
Not sure if this would be an option.... Our SSBII Suspension seat brackets give true suspension to to stock seat. It is a combination of adjustable springs and bottom out bumpers that absorb the energy from hard hits and bouncing down the trail. They allow the seat bottom to travel approximately 1" and give a very comfortable ride. We have several customers that have severe back problems and love the additional cush of the seat. We also offer neoprene seat covers by Wet Okole which may give you the extra softness that your looking for.
Regards,

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Straight Shooter,

The doctor said I had "Jeep Driver's Disease." It was common back in WWI when soldiers who were born with pilonidal cysts like me had them erupt because of the lack of suspension on those old jeeps. You could go your whole life with no issues or they can tunnel out at any given time. The lack of suspension aggravates them and causes them to awaken like and old volcano lol. You are right about the blessing of having it happen sooner verses later.

I agree those Pilots were a blast but a bugger to get out of. I just put my legs over the roll bar and then had someone give me a pull until I was sitting on it, then slide into the chair. I too am glad I don't have to do that anymore.

I've been looking at those XP 1000. They sit pretty high. Are you using a platform to raise you up to level or are you climbing into that thing? I have a portable platform I made that elevates me 6" to make a level transfer into my RZR. Works nice. I'd have to make it a little higher to get in and out of a 1000 but very doable.

As far as cloth goes, I don't think it would fare well in the mud and water we ride in in Ohio. Plus with all the rain once they got wet we would have to wait for them to dry to ride.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I sit on a Supracor Contoured cushion daily for around 20yrs.(used Jay before that), the honeycomb design lets air circulate so it stays cooler, plus they're super lite. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues with my skin. They make thinner ones that you could maybe put on top of RZR seat...
I also have a Butt Buffer I use on planes, the RZR or long trips in a car.
Here's links to both:
:wink
Supracor - Medical Cushions
https://www.buttbuffer.com/

·
Registered
310 Posts
I simple super soft cushion on top of your rzr seat should be fine. No need to start with suspension seats. This one's mad by medline. Very soft. I use it on long trips in my truck. I'm a C6-7 quad. 48 years old. Hurt since 1989.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts