Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a super winch Terra 3500 on my 900 RZR.

The motor on it is fried. The part number for a new motor doesn't show up on superwinch website. Any ideas to repair or am I stuck buying a whole new setup?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea DogRunner2. I usually try and repair instead of replacing so really appreciate that idea.

I didn't see a forum for working on accessories so if this is in the wrong spot please move it.

I am working on another superwinch now. This is off my Honda.
The cable all spooled up one one side and spread the two halves of the winch apart. The spacer tube thing that goes across the drum to hold the two halved together got ruined out of the housing.

In the below photo you can see where it ripped out. The two screws sitting there are for the patch. I am going to drill and tap it and run a piece of 1/8 steel across to hold the two halves together.

The gray piece of steel shown isn't the one I am using just a piece I grabbed when I was brainstorming the repair.

ifwYR%89TVqBhYv+u%1Zzg.jpg

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
I can get you a nice VIPER replacement winch that we manufacture and if you have the mount and such, you can get up and running for as little as $159.99 for our VIPER MIDNIGHT 4500lb with black cable, or step things up to our VIPER ELITE series for around $350 with wireless remote, USA-made cable with 9000lbs of strength, etc. Give me a shout if interested and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been busy but finally got it put together and it is working good. It is way stronger than the original design

In my opinion the winch manufacturers have a design flaw with the three pencil diameter rods holding the assembly together. I wonder how many winches have bee scrapped when the cable piles up on one side and rips these out?

Also the gear box has water in it which is kind of disappointing. This winch was only used on one ride and a couple recoveries. I did a couple water crossings with it but it has never sat outside.
So obviously the seal on it is crap. I took all the gears out and cleaned it all up and put new grease in.

Switched it over to rope as well.
Safety wire was not needed but I am a helicopter mechanic so just had to do it about of habit since the screws I used had safety wire holes in the heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts