Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have upgraded to a SATV Rhino U Series prop shaft. Had previously ordered their billet carrier bearing. While it's better, I still have some noise and growling. SATV even tells you there is going to be noise when using a solid mounted carrier bearing. Has any one else run a rhino prop shaft and tried a non satv carrier bearing? Would like to go back to the Tacoma bearing and silicone to help cushion the vibes that are left. They say only their bearing will work on the rhino shaft, but can't get a clear reason why the oem style or Tacoma wouldn't work...

It better than it was but still not right for the $$$ spent.

·
5,822 Posts
Make sure you grease the bearing really well, and check to see where the growl is coming from. Most of the time its the ring or pinion gear bearing in the diff, and it transfers through the drive line into the carrier bearing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Removed the seals on the carrier bearing and hand packed the bearing. Replaced all the bearings in the front diff with the Sandcraft SKF kit. Upgraded the sprague and armature while I was in there too.

There is some disconnect between your instructions and install video on YouTube for the carrier bearing I think. The video looks like they are installing on a non turbo 1000, like I have. At the end when they install the cover with the zerk, the SuperAtv is towards the back of the machine. Per the instructions that would be how a turbo model would be orientated.....Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I have my "SuperAtv" to the rear like the video, the bearing grease ring appears centered in the carrier grease ring, but possibly 180 out of phase. Don't know if that would make a difference.

I feel I would have felt the bearing fighting to be seated in the carrier if it was in the wrong slot or backwards.

Or perhaps I have an different version of the carrier and logo was etched in a different orientation.

So I guess, possibly my bearing is on the prop shaft backwards, and the carrier is in the machine backwards for the model, but it is oriented in the carrier the correct way, which i would think would be the most important thing....

·
5,822 Posts
Your 1k ant the Turbo S models have the logo towards the front of the machine and the basic Turbo models should go towards the rear, but...they'll work in either direction if you happen to set it up the other way. I'll check that video to make sure we didn't do it backwards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so that then is not causing the noise, the diff isn't either. Why will the Toyota Tacoma style not work? That way I can get some damping back?

It seem like the high dollar CCI and RCV use the higher quality OEM style approach over a solid one like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did anyone fix this problem yet or find out if I can run a factory carrier bearing I just install the rhino prop on my 18 rzr 1000 and vibrates and growls worse than stock please help !

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I replaced my carrier bearing with superatv one. The rubber acts as a damper. Vehicles usually have a rubber mounted carrier bearing.

Better quality bearing in stock assembly is probably all most of us needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just wanted the heavy duty shaft. Because my u joints were Getting a little sloppy so I figure I’d do it once and be done. I just tried to regrease it took it for another ride and and still vibrates something terrible

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ordered superatv carrier bearing and both prop shafts (preventative, had no vibration with stock). Installed with much care, filmed the imbalance and vibration at front diff, sent it back to Superatv, they sent another complete set up. Same issue of vibration and visible imbalance. Unfortunately for those of us looking for an upgrade... Superatv isn’t there yet, they still need some R&D on the prop shafts. Friend installed same setup at his shop, same result. He’ll be sending his back also. Now waiting for their response... will report back if they don’t handle the issue after giving a 2nd chance. Looks good, installs good (photos), but not a viable solution with excess vibration (video link).... would clearly destroy my front diff bearing over time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/my0iag1vd08gj3b/2019-04-14 15.37.02.mov?dl=0
IMG_0761.jpg IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0759.jpg

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
That is unfortunate to hear, I was looking to buy it before next winter (dune season). SuperATV do keep us updated on findings and changes made. Otherwise I’ll be going with Sandcraft

·
Registered
779 Posts
A solid mount doesn't seem like a good idea, especially in regards to vibration. Every vehicle with a 2-piece driveshaft (cars, trucks, semis, heavy equipment and OEM Polaris) has a rubber mounted carrier bearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts