Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Because my post wasn’t long enough...
When you check your set up, mark a spot in the garage or wherever so you do it in the same place every time. Also, make sure your air pressures are consistent with how you ride.
[/QThanks, Will do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just an opinion but there are companies that make uniball replacement a-arms, heck you could just go to ballistic fab or another vendor like that buy some unis and cups and weld em into your stock arms if you wanted. It sucks that the superatv balljoints failed, but they are ball joints afterall - theyre more of a consumable than anything if you're offroading hard. IF you want to stick with ball joints throw the cash in for some RCVs historically the best and they have a pedigree that follows, but they can still fail. Every rig I've had that's been a serious offroading platform has had to been switched to uniball just my 2cents.

It sucks that your stuff broke, and it'd be especially scary if your kids were in the rig. I'd definitely step up to a stronger joint instead of getting rid of your toy and not letting your kids grow up having fun with it. But be aware that you'll start chasing the failure train eventually when you strengthen the weakest link, the failure might move from the balljoint up to the arm, the mount, etc.

be safe and have fun w your kiddies.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you don’t want to put your children at risk don’t ever put them in a rzr.
... Let them replace the defective ball joint and move on dude. Sheesh....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not helpful. OP knows the risk of putting kids in a reliable dirtcar, OP's wife is concerned that this is going to happen again and he is trying to figure out what to do next. He's sharing his situation with this community and asking for outside opinions. He is being smart..

Same ball joint broke twice the same way, in the same spot. Super ATV already gave him good advice. Find out what’s going on to cause this. Quit crying because you can’t get your money back.
Not Nice.. OP was clearly not crying, he was explaining his situation and asking for relevant opinions.

Its easy to spot a troll, they are just looking for attention instead of participating in an actual discussion. Nothing to offer to the conversation but they want attention. OP, please don't stop coming to this forum for education and discussion. When that happens, then the trolls win.

Besides, it appears to me he came here more to bash Super ATV then ask for advice. Super ATV is one of the better company’s out there in regards to customer service and standing behind their products.
SuperATV offers some great stuff and they have awesome service. OP is not bashing, he is understandably frustrated and should not be mocked or dismissed for it. Shame on you, sir.

Last thought on this because this conversation should not be about you... My dad used to say that if you can't say anything nice, then you should not say anything it all. In my generation, our version of that is "help out or get the hell out of the way". My kids would just say "Don't be a d*ck".

Just so you know... you can quote multiple messages in one post by clicking the reply button on the ones you want to reply to..it will populate all the quotes into the reply box
Oh man, this is cool! Thank You!

For the balljoint stud to have extended that far over AND dented its housing that much tells me there was MASSIVE pressure on it. Looking at the direction that the pressure was applied this is not a normal direction for the stud itself to have been extending. During normal operation of the suspension the stud moves laterally in relation to the car as the suspension cycles. The pressure spot in this pic indicated that either the lower or upper control arm has moved a massive amount to the front or rear causing it to hit in this spot. The first thing I would be checking is the hub and all connection bolts., Also is one of your a-arms compromised? cracked and allowing massive flex at times that can cause this? It could have enough spring memory to return to a position that does not make it obvious when stationary. This is not caused by extreme droop or compression of the suspension based on the impact location in that pic. I can confidently say that it is NOT the joints causing this.If you put another joint in it it will do the exact same thing if you dont find out whats causing this.
This is helpful, and I think you are right - there must be something bigger that is wrong here because this should NOT happen. I don't think it is SuperATV's fault and they are communicating with him well and offering to help solve this. Maybe OP's wife is right - he needs to find and fix the root cause or he should sell it and start over. She isn't taking his toy away, she's being supportive of an upgrade!

Whatdk911 said.
The picture of the ball stud isnt real clear, but the wear pattern looks a little odd going 45 degrees across the ball. Id take the other side apart and look at the wear pattern. I’d also put it back together with one of the old ball joints you likely have. If it were in my shop, I’d scale it then measure the of the ride nights and wheel base side to side, the corner to corner to make sure it’s square. Having the wheels off makes the cross and wheel base measure easier. The scales are that important...so at least figure out if it’s square. Once you have a baseline, pull the shocks off and cycle the suspension and steering. Is also pull the springs off at least the front shocks and cycle them as well, have them serviced if they’re due. I’m guessing you’ll Find some in the cycling or steering at one of the extremes.
You have a set up problem you’re not aware of...you’ll find it

SuperATV knows it’s not the part..so their offer to replace the part is above and beyond what most would do.
Good info, man. OP apparently trusted a dealer to do this level of adjustment / verification after the original failure and warranty claim. This stuff is probably beyond their expertise.

Its very odd how it failed, and also that it failed very quickly, and perhaps SuperATV should obtain the failed part and look into it, but they know their business and I still trust them with suspension components. If they have emerging quality issues with their ball joints, then this forum will certainly flush these problems out, but only if people feel welcome enough to share their experiences here.

-Wally

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Thanks Wally! We are all back on track now thanks to you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry but a some guys opinion at a dealership means about squat. I would not let a Polaris dealer work on a lawn mower let alone something I'm trusting my life to.

That's too funny. My dealer #1 source of income is sales and repair of lawn mowers.

Reactions: RZR_Joe
41 - 46 of 46 Posts