Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I'd pull that boot off and see if the housing is cracked. Ive only seen ball joints actually fail by breaking the post, but never coming apart. With those adjustable joints, you should be able to put it back together and tighten the adjuster nut and make it pop back through if it came out once.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What can we suggest the OP looks for to cause the failures on the same part? I think the balls are cropped in. Close inspection of both would show either bad crips or open crips by extreme force. What else?

Before we can make educated guesses at what might be causing his issues we would need to know whether it’s an upper or lower joint that keeps failing, pictures of the machine/suspension/tire setup would be helpful. And a picture of the location/obstacle/trail where this joint keeps popping apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
There is no evidence of failure on either part. There is not damage to either part. I ask SATV to refund the purchase price for the set, and I would return the parts to them. They said warranty only covers the 1 joint and all they would do was replace it.
No manufacturer is going to give you your money back.

This is the second ball h\joint failure, the first was 200 miles ago and was a defective part that Polaris kindly repaired the parts and damage to my RZR. Polaris replaced them with stock parts. In an effort to mitigate risk, I purchased these ball joints. within 200 miles it came apart on the trail and again caused several thousand in damage.
So if I understand correctly, you broke a OEM ball joint and then replaced it with a SATV ball joint that has now failed? I'm willing to bet there is another problem.

My wife said enough. Get rid of it. I cant argue with her, the same part failed in the same place. It is just coincidence, I am sure, but she thinks emotionally. I love my 1000S, and she puts very few limits on what I do.
:unsure:

I am disappointed in SATV that they didn't ask me to send parts back for review or failure analysis. That is what I expected of them to do. If you cared, you would want to know why the failure occurred. I also expected that would have at a minimum refunded the cost of the joints and accepted them back.

Ron

Do you understand what it would cost if every time a customer broke a part that the company did a "failure analysis". If it is a trend with said part breaking then yes but not in an isolated incident. You honestly think ANY company would accept used parts back and refund your money because you "feel" unsafe? SATV did exactly what they should have done and took care of it as a warranty item.

The grease fitting is missing? Have you been doing the proper maintenance? So what exactly were you doing when the failure occurred? What size tires?

The stud is not pressed into the body, the stud is inserted from the top and center section screws down to lock it it place. It would take a lot of force to pull the stud through the body.

I'm not knocking you but I think there is more to the story......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The manufacture did a failure analysis on the first ball joint. They said it was a defective part, that is why they covered it and it took so long. I have the geometry checked out by the dealer to make sure everything was square and dimensionally correct. all work was done by the dealer. I took the machine home and installed the ball 300m's and literally thought it would be bullet proof. The 300M, the ball came out of the socket. I cut the rubber off to take a picture, but running my little finger in and around the cup, It does not feel like there are any chips or abnormalities in the joint.. The is a dent on the outside of the cup, it looks like it came down it? not sure the ensuing accident was not good. the cup and edges of the cup joint are perfect. Is there a dimension for the inner ball and cup? I have an inside mic, I do not have an outside mic.
20200911_151005[1].jpg

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Was the ball joint stud still in the spindle after the crash? How about the pinch bolt?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Sorry but a some guys opinion at a dealership means about squat. I would not let a Polaris dealer work on a lawn mower let alone something I'm trusting my life to.

Picture is worth a thousand words, that "dent" is from the stud shaft hitting the side when being "ripped" out upon impact with something. That stud did not simply fall out. Again, what exactly where you doing when it failed?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I’ll bet his lower a-arm folded up and when the wheel went back it ripped/pried the stud out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Before we can make educated guesses at what might be causing his issues we would need to know whether it’s an upper or lower joint that keeps failing, pictures of the machine/suspension/tire setup would be helpful. And a picture of the location/obstacle/trail where this joint keeps popping apart.

Upper Ball Joint on the passenger side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Was the ball joint stud still in the spindle after the crash? How about the pinch bolt?
Yes the ball joint stud was still in the spindle. I was playing in the gravel at the end of stamp meadow rd. I was playing hard, but did not hit anything. I came up over a rise on a left turn and it popped an the tire folded under .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes the ball joint stud was still in the spindle. I was playing in the gravel at the end of stamp meadow rd. I was playing hard, but did not hit anything. I came up over a rise on a left turn and it popped an the tire folded under .
I have 27" Kanati Mongrel tires

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Upper Ball Joint on the passenger side.
I have 27" Kanati Mongrel tires
Just so you know... you can quote multiple messages in one post by clicking the reply button on the ones you want to reply to..it will populate all the quotes into the reply box

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry but a some guys opinion at a dealership means about squat. I would not let a Polaris dealer work on a lawn mower let alone something I'm trusting my life to.

Picture is worth a thousand words, that "dent" is from the stud shaft hitting the side when being "ripped" out upon impact with something. That stud did not simply fall out. Again, what exactly where you doing when it failed?

View attachment 658113

For the balljoint stud to have extended that far over AND dented its housing that much tells me there was MASSIVE pressure on it. Looking at the direction that the pressure was applied this is not a normal direction for the stud itself to have been extending. During normal operation of the suspension the stud moves laterally in relation to the car as the suspension cycles. The pressure spot in this pic indicated that either the lower or upper control arm has moved a massive amount to the front or rear causing it to hit in this spot. The first thing I would be checking is the hub and all connection bolts., Also is one of your a-arms compromised? cracked and allowing massive flex at times that can cause this? It could have enough spring memory to return to a position that does not make it obvious when stationary. This is not caused by extreme droop or compression of the suspension based on the impact location in that pic. I can confidently say that it is NOT the joints causing this.If you put another joint in it it will do the exact same thing if you dont find out whats causing this.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Whatdk911 said.
The picture of the ball stud isnt real clear, but the wear pattern looks a little odd going 45 degrees across the ball. Id take the other side apart and look at the wear pattern. I’d also put it back together with one of the old ball joints you likely have. If it were in my shop, I’d scale it then measure the of the ride nights and wheel base side to side, the corner to corner to make sure it’s square. Having the wheels off makes the cross and wheel base measure easier. The scales are that important...so at least figure out if it’s square. Once you have a baseline, pull the shocks off and cycle the suspension and steering. Is also pull the springs off at least the front shocks and cycle them as well, have them serviced if they’re due. I’m guessing you’ll Find some in the cycling or steering at one of the extremes.
You have a set up problem you’re not aware of...you’ll find it

SuperATV knows it’s not the part..so their offer to replace the part is above and beyond what most would do.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Because my post wasn’t long enough...
When you check your set up, mark a spot in the garage or wherever so you do it in the same place every time. Also, make sure your air pressures are consistent with how you ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is no evidence of failure on either part. There is not damage to either part. I ask SATV to refund the purchase price for the set, and I would return the parts to them. They said warranty only covers the 1 joint and all they would do was replace it.

This is the second ball h\joint failure, the first was 200 miles ago and was a defective part that Polaris kindly repaired the parts and damage to my RZR. Polaris replaced them with stock parts. In an effort to mitigate risk, I purchased these ball joints. within 200 miles it came apart on the trail and again caused several thousand in damage.

My wife said enough. Get rid of it. I cant argue with her, the same part failed in the same place. It is just coincidence, I am sure, but she thinks emotionally. I love my 1000S, and she puts very few limits on what I do.

I am disappointed in SATV that they didn't ask me to send parts back for review or failure analysis. That is what I expected of them to do. If you cared, you would want to know why the failure occurred. I also expected that would have at a minimum refunded the cost of the joints and accepted them back.

Ron
Your wife limiting what you do is your first mistake....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your wife limiting what you do is your first mistake....

And that's not the only reason I live alone. My lady and I have been together since 1995 and we haven't so much as even lived in the same town and now we don't even live in the same state. It's an awesome arrangement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And that's not the only reason I live alone. My lady and I have been together since 1995 and we haven't so much as even lived in the same town and now we don't even live in the same state. It's an awesome arrangement.
Lol I don't live alone. I have a beautiful wife and I love my wife dearly. But her limit me? Never would she think of doing that or I her. I limit what I do but it's my limit and she does the same for herself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lol I don't live alone. I have a beautiful wife and I love my wife dearly. But her limit me? Never would she think of doing that or I her. I limit what I do but it's my limit and she does the same for herself.

Cool. I was just explaining one of the many reasons why I live alone.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts