Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of 300M ball joints from Super ATV in Late April. I installed them at the end of May beginning of june. I had ridden about 300 miles on them and the upper ball joint came out of the socket, causing the wheel to fold over and flipped the RZR on its side at 30 miles an hour.
I contacted SuperATV and they offered to replace the 1 defective ball joint.

I am extremely disappointed and am not sure how to proceed. I am definitely
20200910_145159[1].jpg
20200910_145236[1].jpg
looking for advice here, and I am glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a set of 300M ball joints from Super ATV in Late April. I installed them at the end of May beginning of june. I had ridden about 300 miles on them and the upper ball joint came out of the socket, causing the wheel to fold over and flipped the RZR on its side at 30 miles an hour.
I contacted SuperATV and they offered to replace the 1 defective ball joint.

I am extremely disappointed and am not sure how to proceed. I am definitely View attachment 658043 View attachment 658044 looking for advice here, and I am glad no one was hurt.
What do you feel would have been the proper course of action from SATV?
To Be honest with you, I am not sure. I assume they have some liability for their parts. But to be honest the big issue is that I drive with my kids in this, and I cant anymore. I put my trust in them, and that seems like a mistake.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
To Be honest with you, I am not sure. I assume they have some liability for their parts. But to be honest the big issue is that I drive with my kids in this, and I cant anymore. I put my trust in them, and that seems like a mistake.
If you don’t want to put your children at risk don’t ever put them in a rzr.

Better yet don’t let them do anything Powersports related.

Even better yet just confine them to their room. That way you never have to worry about their safety ever again. Oh unless the house burns down, or a tree falls on it..........

Let them replace the defective ball joint and move on dude. Sheesh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately for these retailers to actually sell and make a profit, they need to source as cheap parts as they can find . This usually means made in China . Try to find US top tier parts , like Moog , maybe even a high end Japan made part .

·
Registered
434 Posts
Seems to me that SATV is doing the right thing by replacing the defective ball joint. If that failure has destroyed your faith in their parts, then there is nothing they can do about that because you will always have that doubt.

Keller ball joints have the best reputation out there. Maybe that’s what you need to feel safe but personally I would just happily receive the new ball joint and move on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Before I post what I am about to post, know that I am not judging the OP by my comments - just pointing out a consistent observation after working in the power transmission industry for over 30 years. Really, the vast majority of the time when a customer tells me they have a defective product it ends up being an install issue, an issue with the equipment it's being installed on, or an incorrect part spec'd for the application.

Yes, there can be defective quality in workmanship but typically, any given distributor will see a red flag with that when they start getting more than a few of the same product returned and shut down the sales of the item.

If one is concerned about the country of origin of the product and/or the manufacturer of it, you have every right (and should exercise it) to ask where that product is made and by whom. Any good distributor will tell you. I ask that question all the time when I buy stuff for myself and if the distributor can't or won't answer the question, I move on. I am VERY particular about what I buy and use on my hot rods and off-road toys.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can you show exactly how it failed? The 300m shaft part of the joint that you picture does not reveal the cause of failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don’t want to put your children at risk don’t ever put them in a rzr.

Better yet don’t let them do anything Powersports related.

Even better yet just confine them to their room. That way you never have to worry about their safety ever again. Oh unless the house burns down, or a tree falls on it..........

Let them replace the defective ball joint and move on dude. Sheesh....

I have 7 sleds and 2 RZR's. I understand risk. I also understand Sarcasm. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you show exactly how it failed? The 300m shaft part of the joint that you picture does not reveal the cause of failure.
There is no evidence of failure on either part. There is not damage to either part. I ask SATV to refund the purchase price for the set, and I would return the parts to them. They said warranty only covers the 1 joint and all they would do was replace it.

This is the second ball h\joint failure, the first was 200 miles ago and was a defective part that Polaris kindly repaired the parts and damage to my RZR. Polaris replaced them with stock parts. In an effort to mitigate risk, I purchased these ball joints. within 200 miles it came apart on the trail and again caused several thousand in damage.

My wife said enough. Get rid of it. I cant argue with her, the same part failed in the same place. It is just coincidence, I am sure, but she thinks emotionally. I love my 1000S, and she puts very few limits on what I do.

I am disappointed in SATV that they didn't ask me to send parts back for review or failure analysis. That is what I expected of them to do. If you cared, you would want to know why the failure occurred. I also expected that would have at a minimum refunded the cost of the joints and accepted them back.

Ron

·
6,024 Posts
Sorry about that man. That really sucks. I've never seen one of the pins come out of the ball joint before. The ball is much smaller than the housing, so it would take an insane amount of pressure from a hit to pull the pin through the tapered housing. Again, sorry this happened to you. Those ball joints are fully covered under warranty, and those 300M pins are the strongest pins out there. No idea how it could have happened, but its fully covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Totally understand, id really like to see a photo of the underside of that arm upclose of the other half of the joint.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Would totally agree, two failures in same spot. Dig deeper. Something else is causing your problem.

Reactions: Phazewolf

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Oh so now we see what is really bothering the OP, the wife took his toy away...... LoL.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
And here he goes again... @AJsRZR
What is your major malfunction ...all you do is try and create controversy and basically stir the pot .
Maybe you should try and be helpful just once !

Same ball joint broke twice the same way, in the same spot. Super ATV already gave him good advice. Find out what’s going on to cause this. Quit crying because you can’t get your money back.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Besides, it appears to me he came here more to bash Super ATV then ask for advice. Super ATV is one of the better company’s out there in regards to customer service and standing behind their products.

I’ve dealt with a ton of companies over the years and some are absolutely horrible. I don’t see why the OP isn’t satisfied with what Super ATV offered him. If he doesn’t like that then buy a different brand.

My comments about keeping his kids safe was sincere and sarcastic. But offroad toys come with risk. Like almost everything in life. Trying to cry and whine because you don’t feel safe taking your kids in your machine because parts broke is ridiculous. Everyone these days just wants a free ride, to blame everyone else, and use “safety concerns” to get some sympathy from everyone. Please.

Check your machine over regularly, buckle your kids in, drive smart and within your abilities, and understand the risks.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
What can we suggest the OP looks for to cause the failures on the same part? I think the balls are cropped in. Close inspection of both would show either bad crips or open crips by extreme force. What else?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts