Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the RZR to RZRS +5 1.5 Front/Rear Long Travel Kit from SuperATV® and fast as fast can be it arrived faster than expected (that's fast for Alaska). Now If you have installed the Kit I'm sure you will agree to the directions being outstanding with the only exception that maybe they needed to add the fact that the powder coating around the insertion point for the Ball joints should (in my case MUST) be grinded/sanded down (top & bottom of the A-arm) to get the snap rings back in place. But that's not where I found my problem. When I installed the tie rod extension I found that at the MOST, all I could get threaded was 3/8" and that was with some toe out with the alignment, if I aligned the wheels up perfectly I was only getting a 1/4" at most. Now this was puzzling and I racked my brain for hours and finally called SuperATV® and to my delight was helped instantly, we talked, I sent some quick pictures from my iphone® and they (SuperATV®) said that they would immediately ship out a new extended set. I was very happy offered to send the others back but they insisted no need! Now that's customer service. So the new ones arrived and problem solved instantly, Perfect alignment (actually had to shorten the new extensions just a little to get the locking bolts to fit to tighten them up good), But that was more them doing a great job in anticipating this "issue".
If you know of a better answer please chime in: I racked my brain the last week and I came up with why I would be short on both sides this crucial 1/4 inch and this is what I came up with...
The Kit is not just the +5 LT. It also has the +1.5" front & 1.5" rear. Now the rear didn't matter but the 1.5 front would. I did some measuring and all that math I learned in school I found that its a small factor of between 1/8" and 1/4" and just wonder if I got adapters for the non 1.5" front kit? another small faction I could find was the possibility (not in my case) that when you drill the new hole in the spindle (increase the size) if you are off by 1/16" when drilling, well then you might as well be off by 1/8" if you do both sides the same. The 3rd Probability is the actual steering rack, now I'm sure some might argue not possible, but?
In the end my consensus is that It was the 1.5" + in the front that did it. extending the wheels just that 1 1/2" shortened the tie rod "grab" length costing me that valuable 1/8" on both sides. In the Pictures you can see the one that came with the kit with all the extra "threading" to the left (I threaded the proper amount on the right side) and the replacement they sent me. I've checked everything over and over for the past week. You only need 1/2"to be good..... anyone....
A big thank you to SuperATV® for superb help and service, The kit is Rock Solid!

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good info!!! I just started my SATV +5 LT install tonight, but started on the rears. I purchased the axel shafts so it was slow going to swap out the CV's. I did not get the +1.5, so I will take a look at my extenders and let you know what I find once I get to the fronts.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
my reg +5 was ok but i too had and so have several people need to grind a very small amount off for the ball joint clip

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chris (Teamhog) has some good input on the thread in the SATV section. I may be pickin' your brains as I continue on this project, hopefully I have most of the pitfalls identified before I get to them.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
the rear is a piece of cake be carefull front and rear how you run the brake lines... cycle the arms to make sure the lines dont get tight or lose and caught in the cv's....

front is easy too.... use a sharp drill and it take's seconds to drill the spindle out...

use some anti sieze on the cv splines (keeps them from sticking)

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh the rest Like I mentioned is actually VERY simple, Now I have to give a lot of props to having impact tools, especially the ratchet, It just made it quick and painless. When I got the Kit I was a little on the "what did I get Myself into, Im no mechanic" side. But its not like messing with rebuilding a motor. Truthfully, Its more like assembling legos, Just follow the directions.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm confused, you originally said "if I aligned the wheels up perfectly I was only getting a 1/4" at most"

Then "In the Pictures you can see the one that came with the kit with all the extra "threading" to the left (I threaded the proper amount on the right side) and the replacement they sent me"

Did they send you a shorter or longer extension? I wish the extensions they sent me had a little longer length to them. I'm worried the tie rod is not threaded very deep into the extension.

Can you measure the length of the extension you have installed?

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just finished installing the +5 kit with the 1.5 offset and had no issues with the tie rod extensions. Are you sure you had the steering wheel centered? I can't imagine where the problem could be. Maybe you just got a screw-up that slipped through the QC? :think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts