Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new set of these shocks from super atv and wanted to put some info out there about them. I own a 2011 rzrs razor.it came with the sachs shocks on it.i had a 2"racetech lift kit on the machine. The front shocks went on easy,the rear is a different story! My sachs rear shock measuered 21 3/8/ the phantom shock measured 21 3/4, both measurements are with shocks off and fully exteneded.this does not seem like much difference but it is a huge deal!!!so i installed the new phantom shock on the rear after renting a spring compressor as this is the only way you can get the shock bolts in with rzrs jacked up and both wheels off the ground,and i checked cv joints and they wre binded up so bad the rear wheels would not rotate with it out of gear.i called super atv and they are great at helping to do the best they could over the phone,but i feel like they were also telling me information and answers they did not know 100%.super atv and i came to a conclusion that the problem seemed to be going back to the 2" racetech lift kit that i installed as a bandaid for the sachs.so i took the lift off front and back and tried again to mount shocks. Problem seemed even worse!bottom line is the phantom rear shocks are longer than the factory and will not work with out cutting off upper shock mounts a re-fabricating new ones higher to prevent cv binding.i told them they really need to look in to this and put on there web site and let people know this as it will for sure make poping for 1000.00 dollar set of shocks take more thought.i know in 2011 the joint is smaller but these were bought as a bolt on modification! So you will need to re-do upper mounts on the rear or add 400.00 dollars for some after market axles and joints.super atv told me they had never had or heard of issue like i am having,this really made me mad because that is impossible! I told them they need to find a 2011 and go try to mount these bitches so they will see and can let people know this before they spend hard earned money on them.ok, i am done with the negative.the positive is that after i put some custom limiting straps on it so i could ride this past week end the shock are awesome and ride un real! My buddy has an 2011 also with fox podiums and he drove mine and told me he liked the way they rode and performed better than the fox plus no squeaking sound.i will be very happy after a few nites in the shop re-doing upper mounts.great quality,great ride and performance,longer than stock.i tested these at windrock orv park for 3 days. Anyone ran into this? C-ya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i did,as well as several others.no one really nes the facts? They ever sent me a set of 6"stroke which is what the fronts are and they told me it would be 1" shorter as the rear are 7" stroke.after thinking about it i even called them back and ask/ if the shaft is an inch shorter and the body will be an inch shorter wil that not be 2"s. They replied back no sir it will be an inch and the springs that came with them which i kept to reuse on the new ones would not even in no way fit on the 2" shorter shock so back to the original 7" stroke i had to use.nice guys but need to do some research on these phantom shocks.

·
6,699 Posts
.the positive is that after i put some custom limiting straps on it so i could ride this past week end the shock are awesome and ride un real! My buddy has an 2011 also with fox podiums and he drove mine and told me he liked the way they rode and performed better than the fox plus no squeaking sound.i will be very happy after a few nites in the shop re-doing upper mounts.great quality,great ride and performance,longer than stock.i tested these at windrock orv park for 3 days. Anyone ran into this? C-ya

Glad to hear your please with the performance of the shocks. They are an excellent affordable suspension upgrade. We are going to look into the issue you were having by recreating what you claimed. Out of the 1,000 of these we have sold I have not ran into many issues running these on a stock Polaris RZR-S. The only issues I can recall seeing are customers trying to run a lift kit with them on stock oem axles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.the positive is that after i put some custom limiting straps on it so i could ride this past week end the shock are awesome and ride un real! My buddy has an 2011 also with fox podiums and he drove mine and told me he liked the way they rode and performed better than the fox plus no squeaking sound.i will be very happy after a few nites in the shop re-doing upper mounts.great quality,great ride and performance,longer than stock.i tested these at windrock orv park for 3 days. Anyone ran into this? C-ya

glad to hear your please with the performance of the shocks. They are an excellent affordable suspension upgrade. We are going to look into the issue you were having by recreating what you claimed. Out of the 1,000 of these we have sold i have not ran into many issues running these on a stock polaris rzr-s. The only issues i can recall seeing are customers trying to run a lift kit with them on stock oem axles.
please post results after you guys try this out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just purchased some of the remote res. shocks. To get the back ones on I removed the lower bolt on the sway bar to get the shock to go on. These shocks are a little longer than stock. When I lifted the machine the rear axle did bind a little. I drilled a new hole just above original shock hole and trimmed a little off of the mount. this works great and the rear axle does not bind at all.the front shocks mount right up. the shocks have been great so far

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that is what i had to do to fix mine up.i drilled hole a little higher than stock, then cut off extra tap where it would not hit the shock. my shocks came in on a friday and i thought i could just bolt them on.we had a big ride out of town that weekend and it was a huge pain i did not plan on. by the time i removed rear bumper,and the back end of rzr i was the last to show up friday night.when i told super atv about it they had never had issue? NOT POSSIBLE! in the tread above tyler replied they will look into this issue. my best friend called them to order some and spoke to tyler and ask if they fixed this and tyler said he did not know what my friend was talking about and never heard of problem. fact is they have heard,they said above they will check into. my buddy went with fox shocks.shocks are awesome and still doing well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did drive mine for a little while without relocating the rear top mount, but decided to change the top holes because when I had it jacked up the axle would bind a little. I had the holes drilled out in 1hr. If you use a right angle drill you can drill the holes by just removing the top bolt in the shock and hold it back out of the way. It was very easy fix to the little bind when suspension was at full travel. If the shocks were 3/8's shorter it would be fine. Whether the little bind at full travel would cause any harm I don't know.
But the fix is easy. Hope these shocks hold up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
About 800mi. on them and they are great, the ride is awesome.
I played with setting and spring tension to get it where I like it.
The springs that came on mine are heavier rate then stock and are a much better.
So far I have nothing but good to say about these. I can ride as hard as I want and the shocks soak up everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts