Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input on different suicide door designs. How far do they open? I lost the use of my legs in '95 so I have to use a wheelchair. If I buy suicide doors, I need some that will open as far as possible so I can get up close to the machine. 180 degrees would be best.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
The UTV Inc doors open all the way and can even be removed without the use of tools to aid in getting int the vehicle. Once inside the door can be placed back into the hinges. If you remove the lower bar that Polaris installs and remove the door, you have total access to getting into the vehicle.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I have Factory UTV doors and they open 180 and remove also!

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
Do they remove without the need to use tools? My FUTV doors have regular hinges on them and there is no way you can take any part of my door off without taking something apart with tools. Did FUTV make changes to their doors or did you modify them?Said doors are sitting in the corner of my garage in case anyone is interested in them.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Do you have any pis of the doors?

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Do they remove without the need to use tools? My FUTV doors have regular hinges on them and there is no way you can take any part of my door off without taking something apart with tools. Did FUTV make changes to their doors or did you modify them?Said doors are sitting in the corner of my garage in case anyone is interested in them.
I have door set #8, a number of small changes in latching have improved them and they come off and go on without any tools with ease! Open the latch, pull the hinge pins. check with them on latch modifications. I'm happy, but they do require occaisional adjustment.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
I have door set #8, a number of small changes in latching have improved them and they come off and go on without any tools with ease! Open the latch, pull the hinge pins. check with them on latch modifications. I'm happy, but they do require occaisional adjustment.
I had huge issues with the latch system and getting the doors to stay shut. I think I got one of the first upgraded latch systems with the cotter pin but it still didn't fix my issue, hence their sitting in the corner unused at the moment. I have solid hinges on mine and unless you tap the pin out, you are not taking the door off.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mine come off in 10 seconds. Open almost 180- easy in and out.
Large steel pins tap pull right out.
Latches work excellent now with some modifications.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
The UTV Inc doors open all the way.
When you say "all the way" do you mean they swing 180 degrees? Lifting them off every time I get in and out of the machine would be a pain.
They swing all the way open to 180 degrees but at 90 degrees you can lift them out of the hinges and remove the door completely with out tools if you choose to do so. See the videos below.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have door set #7, a number of small changes in latching have improved them and they come off and go on without any tools with ease! Open the latch, pull the hinge pins. check with them on latch modifications. I'm happy, but they do require occaisional adjustment.
I have set #8...as far as I know the FUTV doors have always had loose hinge pins and open 180*
The latch is way more stout than the Pro Armor pin latch BUT you do need to adjust them so they insert farther in the strike plate to keep the door from popping open when the frame flexes. The range of adjustment they come with is intended more for easy open/slam shut rather than "no way you're getting out" secure. IMO.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
I have door set #7, a number of small changes in latching have improved them and they come off and go on without any tools with ease! Open the latch, pull the hinge pins. check with them on latch modifications. I'm happy, but they do require occaisional adjustment.
I have set #8...as far as I know the FUTV doors have always had loose hinge pins and open 180*
The latch is way more stout than the Pro Armor pin latch BUT you do need to adjust them so they insert farther in the strike plate to keep the door from popping open when the frame flexes. The range of adjustment they come with is intended more for easy open/slam shut rather than "no way you're getting out" secure. IMO.

They must have changed something because my hinge pins won't come out unless you beat them out with a hammer and punch. I have one door that they absolutely will not come out of even after soaking in lubricating fluids. The latch with cotter pin is a good fix to the original latch but no matter how I adjust the doors or the latch itself, I cannot get it so that enough latch is through the strike plate to even insert the cotter pin. And no, my RZR has not been crashed or rolled or jumped to cause the frame to tweaked. I honestly and neither does FUTV, know what is wrong with my FUTV doors.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
http://www.rzrforums.net/factory-utv/15601-problem-futv-doors-9.html

Go to post 125 on this thread.
Simple addition of some Maier plastic to the latch striker area fixed any issues I had with looseness and rattling.
NO adjustments since I did this.
My doors have never opened by themselves and rattle only when extreme flexing or cross rutting.
Thanks Guy for the idea.

My hinge pins remove easily. I remove the doors whenever working on the car- simple.

·
AZ Pete
345 Posts
I'm not sure what hand controls you're using but with doors you want to be sure the door latch is mounted way to the front. I have iTi doors on my 08 and the hand controls hit the door latch when the brakes are applied. I also have a hell of a time getting my legs in due to the space lost in the front of the doors. I've ordered a pair of Pro Armor for the 10-S. I think we can get our chairs right up close for transfers. Enjoy!

I'm looking for some input on different suicide door designs. How far do they open? I lost the use of my legs in '95 so I have to use a wheelchair. If I buy suicide doors, I need some that will open as far as possible so I can get up close to the machine. 180 degrees would be best.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I had huge issues with the latch system and getting the doors to stay shut. I think I got one of the first upgraded latch systems with the cotter pin but it still didn't fix my issue, hence their sitting in the corner unused at the moment. I have solid hinges on mine and unless you tap the pin out, you are not taking the door off.
Lou I have gotten behind on this thread, I sure don't understand the hinge pin problem. I live near Sacramento and was able to have FUTV install my doors on June 8 2008. I used a trailer with sidewalls then and the doors came on and off effortlessly. I still take them off at times with no tools. As you know the door is completely seperate from the forward latching mechanism and swings until it is almost at the rear tire.

I recently laid the RZR over on a large rock on my wifes side, and should note that the additional door framework was helpful in assuring that my wife was not injured. The cage was tweaked, but the cage and door frame have been straightened and all work like new and the doors still remove with ease! I'd buy these again. I will admit that I have not investigated other doors.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
Lou I have gotten behind on this thread, I sure don't understand the hinge pin problem. I live in Sacramento and was able to have FUTV install my doors on June 8 2008. I used a trailer with sidewalls then and the doors came on and off effortlessly. I still take them off at times with no tools. As you know the door is completely seperate from the forward latching mechanism and swings until it is amost at the rear tire.

I recently layed the RZR over on a large rock on my wifes side, and should note that the additional framework was helpful in assuring that my wife was not injured. The cage was tweaked, but the cage and door frame have been straightened and all work like new and the doors still remove with ease! I'd buy these again. I will admit that I have not investigated other doors.

My problem, which I started a thread about in the FUTV forum has pages that detail my problem with the latching mechanism and my driver side door popping open while driving and while it was being trailered down the highway. No amount of adjusting the door would fix the problem. I encountered the hinge issue when FUTV said I could ship them back to them at my expense. The hinge pin absolutely refuses to tap out so I was unable to break the doors down to a smaller package/box to ship them in. I really liked the doors but the constant flying open and the rattle became a pain in the ass so I just took them off and they sit in the corner now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts