Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I already have the Jeep, but I've been looking to get a Polaris 800 RZR for about a year now. I just can't seem to find the justification that will make me to buy the darn thing.

I'm never going to be a hard-core off-roader. I'm 67 now and just getting older. Most of the places I would drive the RZR, I can also use the Jeep. I've yet to find a place, being a casual driver, that won't allow me to use my Jeep. In fact, some of the places I can drive the Jeep, I can't use the RZR.

So what are some good reasons to buy the Polaris, even though I have a Jeep? I don't discount the fact that they might just be more fun, but so far, that's not been enough.

There are two places I think the RZR might be better. Sand and on long stretches of cross-country road where one could just get out and fly. I have not found any like the latter, in WA., where I live.

Justifications? ;)

The other problem I'm having is deciding between an 800 RZRS and the 900 XP RZR. I'm really having difficulty deciding which would be the better choice. Money is not the factor and I'm not sure my use would require one over the other. I just don't want to buy something to find out later, I should have bought the other. ;)

G

·
Sounds to me like a RZR may not be for you..if you need to be talked into a purchase its possible you will regret it. My suggestion is to try to find someone to take you for a ride and see if its somethign you want. As for 800 vs 900..it the 900 will fit where you ride get it over the 800.. Saying "I just don't want to buy something to find out later, I should have bought the other"..has 900 all over it lol.

True the Jeep may legally go some places a RZR won't but unless you are on like 38's or 44's and talking mud...the RZR will go a lot of place most jeeps wont go..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds to me like a RZR may not be for you..if you need to be talked into a purchase its possible you will regret it.
Not at all. I won't regret it, unless I buy the wrong model. ;) I have a daughter and son-in-law that would make good use of it too.

As for 800 vs 900..it the 900 will fit where you ride get it over the 800.. Saying "I just don't want to buy something to find out later, I should have bought the other"..has 900 all over it lol.
That's what I was thinking. ;) The only problem with that might be if it's too limiting (i.e. on trails). I would like to take another trip to MOAB and go on some of the trails there. Like I said, I'll never be an extreme off-roader but I do like to get out and away from everything and a RZR would be better than walking. ;)

I wish they would allow these darn vehicles to be street legal in WA. It's impossible to make a RZR street legal in WA. If they are not manufactured to be street legal, they can't be converted, in WA. If they did, I'd just use one wherever I use my Jeep now, and have all the justification I need.

G

·
Sounds to me like a RZR may not be for you..if you need to be talked into a purchase its possible you will regret it.
Not at all. I won't regret it, unless I buy the wrong model. ;) I have a daughter and son-in-law that would make good use of it too.

As for 800 vs 900..it the 900 will fit where you ride get it over the 800.. Saying "I just don't want to buy something to find out later, I should have bought the other"..has 900 all over it lol.
That's what I was thinking. ;) The only problem with that might be if it's too limiting (i.e. on trails). I would like to take another trip to MOAB and go on some of the trails there. Like I said, I'll never be an extreme off-roader but I do like to get out and away from everything and a RZR would be better than walking. ;)

I wish they would allow these darn vehicles to be street legal in WA. It's impossible to make a RZR street legal in WA. If they are not manufactured to be street legal, they can't be converted, in WA. If they did, I'd just use one wherever I use my Jeep now, and have all the justification I need.
Cant imagine if your Jeep will fit that a 900 won't?

Yeah it's pretty tough here in NC to make them street legal as well from what I gather...cant imagine it is impossible anywhere, what about home built "dune buggies"..my uncle used to build buggies from scratch and could get them registered in Florida...as long as it meets safety requirements I'm not sure its consitiutional to tell someone they have to buy an automobile from a manufacturer and cant make their own..
Here I think some guys get away with putting a triangle on the back like Ag equipment..but that wont fly in town lol..guess it depends on where and how far you wanted to drive it...I drive mine on the road to a few close by riding spots...and ive passed LEO's several times and they dont give me a second look:rofl3: I live in a rural area though.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Mike,

First, Welcome. As a older fella, 70 in a week, I'll give you my thoughts.

Most purchases like this are friend driven. Last summer ('11) some friends went to Colorado and rented Atv's and SxS's. We belong to the same RV group. The group was going again this past summer. We thought, buy one, use it for the summer and if you don't like it, sell it. Cheaper than renting for a month or so.

We bought a used 2011 800 S LE in the fall of 2011. Met some folks thru the forum, did some local rides last fall, this past spring and this summer went to Colorado for 2 months with the RV group.

We came home after 500+ miles on the RZR and did look at a Jeep when we got back home. The trails we rode in our RZR, in a Jeep would not have the same outdoor experience.

We have decided a Jeep is just too much like a normal vehicle, just it can go off road. A RZR is a completely different experience.

Jim

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had both the jeep was slower on trails and more maintenance plus i dont have to worry anymore about messing my daily driver up. Also i had a 800 just upgraded to the 900 it was well worth it the power difference is unreal.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had both the jeep was slower on trails and more maintenance plus i dont have to worry anymore about messing my daily driver up. Also i had a 800 just upgraded to the 900 it was well worth it the power difference is unreal.
This is why I got mine, plus I actually find the RZR to be a more comfortable ride. I may not have the actual years for age under my belt, but do to my health history, I have the body of a weathered 60+ year old (and im only 28). The rzr is easier to get in and out of compared to a comparable lifted jeep. Maintenance is pretty simple when comparing the two (less electronic crap to go wrong). It is an easy conversation piece/starter. I get looks and questions everywhere I go and have meet lots of new people, all over my RZR. I am a 10 year, 4 jeep owner. I was waste deep in cherokees. I still have a soft spot for them, but I love my RZR. And you always have a choice to ride solo, or with a friend, unlike a conventional 4-wheeler. And as stated before, I have seen a RZR go most places a full-size wheelers can go and MORE.
Find someone who will let you get some REAL wheel time and experience, not just a demo ride.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nice video Ken!!!
To the OP, I prefer my Cherokee for trail riding & mtn passes in CO, its been known to snow in July & I like the warmth of my jeep! The XP is way faster on the trail then my jeep, but that doesn't bother me, I mostly bought my xp for the dunes!!!

·
Banned
904 Posts
Mike,

Here is my take on the whole subject. I built and did everything and anything you can think of to a jeep. If you search jeep forums for jeepfool, jeepnfool, and tikitgvr you will see me all over them for various things. With that said, I personally would go jeep over rzr any day of the week. I do not really trail ride, so the 50" argument is wasted on me. One person above mentioned a rzr being more comfortable, not sure what jeep he has ridden in, but they are not. To make a rzr comparable to a jeep, you will spend way more money. Even the start up cost of the 2 are about the same (not for model year vs model year). Now, depending on what you plan on doing with it is what will make the two different. I personally can not own any offroad toy without doing a crap ton of modifications to it, so the rzr won in that category. They are definately cheaper to modify. If you have a toy hauler, they are lighter and smaller, making them better to haul. They use less gas, so that saves some money. I miss my jeeps and loved rockcrawling, however I am 6 hours from the closest rockcrawling park and this is the only reason I got a rzr.....If not for that, I would be in a jeep.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Trail riding with friends in 10 jeeps..... i cant even imagine. how fun would that be? trail riding in a rzr, with other atvs, going in tight areas where a jeep could not go, mudding where a jeep would get stuck and need more than a jeep to pull it out.. i just cant really eben see the comparison between atvs and jeeps. Both cool, different real world application

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
We just bought both, so we have fun with both types of vehicles.

The 2012 Jeeps are not slow by any means. I am not saying they are rocket but wow, what a difference from 2011s, on back.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a 2005 jeep rubicon.....loved it for 2 years......thats all i could take!

slow off road, rough, not very good on road at all, terrible space inside, always costing more money, look out for washboard roads at any speed above 15 mph, outdated, tub design. some people say the jeep is a mans car...i think its 50 years behind the times......i could go on (the rubicon was a good rock crawler, i will give it that).

Rzr is much faster, can cover more trails in less time ( have you ever hit whoops in a jeep?), much more comfortable, can drive crazy fast if you want, power slide, can go on narrow trails, rzr has about the same amount of storage place (not really).

its no wonder jeep owners always trailer their jeep to the trail!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts