Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil fitting I built keeps leaking oil and I've run out of ideas. I first used the liquid pipe dope from permatex and that lasted about 5 miles so I took it back out and wraped it with teflon tape. That lasted about 200 miles and now it leaking again right where the pipe theads into the block. Any ideas how to seal it up for good ? Heres a pic of what I got going on. I'm open to any ideas at this point. Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Are you talking about the liquid pipe dope ? Just want to be sure. Also is there a brand your partial to because I tried the liquid pipe dope from permatex and it leaked like a sive. I see they make a high temp version thats probably what I should have used.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They make a pure teflon pipe dope that you apply with a brush that comes in a small plastic container.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most of what you tried should had worked. I'm guessing that the threads still had some oil residue on them. The Teflon wont do any better if the threads still have oil on them. Just my .02.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Well if you use 1&1/2 - two turns of tape, and it was leaking, tighten it down more...thats how npt works. Start the tape 1/8" away from the end of fitting, more tape is not better.
NPT (pipe thread) needs to be extremely tight to seal... feel it out, use proper size wrenches, real tight but don't break anything.

Tim is giving you good advice about using a flexible hose off the block, then tee off hose to sending unit and turbo oil feed line. You might have to use a ground wire to the sending unit. But you'll still have to tighten up the npt fitting till it stops leaking.

jmo

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Actually, looking at your pic, you used a short nipple off the block. You need to use either a channel lock or very small pipe wrench to get that tight enough.If you can fit them in there. otherwise you got to tighten it by turning the tee, if you got room to. You might not be able to put that tee fitting exactly where you want it after everything is tight enough... hence the flex hose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like i'll pick up a couple hose barbs and a chunk of hose. Tear it all apart and make sure its oil free and as tight as I can get it. I was talking to my dad tonight about it (mechanic for 35 plus years) he said oil will degrade certain types of teflon tape. He said they make a yellow teflon tape that is designed for oil so when I put it back together i'll use that and hopefully i'll be leak free for good lol.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Use Teflon Pipe Dope... Also install a flexible line between the fitting and the oil sending unit...
Ditto....plus you have too much weight hanging,4 inches away from block...Harmonics & basic vibrations will break the seal.....If you ever did get it sealed like it is mounted,it will probably break at the treads.......Do the flex line & mount the t-fitting & lines solid to frame

1 - 9 of 9 Posts