Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my SD license today so I’m now street legal in SD, Utah, Ariz, Wy and other states. Makes it so much easier in Moab and the Black Hills to be able to ride to the trails. After adding the required equipment the process through SD was painless and all done through the mail. I called up the Union City office and they walked me through it, really nice folks. Now if we can just get Colorado to follow suit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree on the colorado part! What did you have to do to get the plate? I'm looking to do the same thing. I just finished installing the tusk kit,( signals, horn and mirrors), anything else I need?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Idaho also offers out of state registration for UTVs through the Parks and Recreation Department. I've had mine through them since '17, very easy and cost like $18.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
Currently, there is discussion on the Moab PD Q&A thread about whether or not this is going to be legal anymore...Chief Edge of the Moab PD is currently looking deeper into it, but Utah may require that the SXS be street legal in the owner's home state to be street legal in Utah. Which would mean if your home state doesn't allow your sxs to be registered as street legal, and issue a license plate, then you cannot be street legal in Utah anymore.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Moab city can't pass any local legislation that prohibits street legal UTVs on public streets. The state oh Utah law allows it and local municipalities can't abridge state law. Legislation would have to be passed at the state level and from what gather there not much of a chance of that happening anytime soon. At least that's how I understand it.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
Moab city can't pass any local legislation that prohibits street legal UTVs on public streets. The state oh Utah law allows it and local municipalities can't abridge state law. Legislation would have to be passed at the state level and from what gather there not much of a chance of that happening anytime soon. At least that's how I understand it.
I think a municipality can opt out or pass an ordinance if they wish, but I'm referring specifically to reciprocity of registration at the state level, which is up to Parks & Rec to decide when it comes to OHV's on the highway.

From the Utah Street Legal OHV code:
"In accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, the Board of Parks and Recreation shall establish eligibility requirements for reciprocal operating privileges for nonresident users granted under Subsection (5)(a)."

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've got a six week trip out that way this spring so it's a bit disconcerting. 🚓+👮‍♂️ = drop into Pritchett Canyon 😁

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
A bit disconcerting for many that go the Idaho, SD, or NM route from out of state, it would definitely be a game changer if accurate & enforced, and if we all start retreating into Pritchett, they might start waiting on the other side lol. ( well not me really, I have a home state plate lol ). The whole drama over OHV’s in Moab is really starting to piss me off tho, from pure annoyance if anything.

Whats your date range for Moab? Centered around ROTR I’m guessing? I’ll try and run up for a day or two and ride with ya if I can

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well if Moab wishes to keep licensed vehicles off their streets like UTV and such do not go to moab , let the merchants pay for what the city council does and stay in a different city letting the local media know why local merchants are down 10 percent of sales for the year , organize your rides to exclude moab , very simple when the merchants yell loud enough the( corrupt) politicians will act , all politics is local , find a different city to bring your money too ! maybe even avoid the entire state of Utah if need be , in Mohave county Arizona off-roading brings in close to a billion dollar a year to this county , they understand and appreciate the income to merchants....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well if Moab wishes to keep licensed vehicles off their streets like UTV and such do not go to moab , let the merchants pay for what the city council does and stay in a different city letting the local media know why local merchants are down 10 percent of sales for the year , organize your rides to exclude moab , very simple when the merchants yell loud enough the( corrupt) politicians will act , all politics is local , find a different city to bring your money too ! maybe even avoid the entire state of Utah if need be , in Mohave county Arizona off-roading brings in close to a billion dollar a year to this county , they understand and appreciate the income to merchants....
My point is go where you are appreciated if the city of Moab does not appreciate your money there are others who will , let Moab suffer through a winter of not being able to heat homes and they will be much friendlier...

·
Vendor
1,545 Posts
Just to be clear, what MoabPD posted is his interpretation of Utah law, not just in Moab.

I personally believe he is incorrect, have questioned him, and he was researching it. He has not responded.

I also posed the question about his interpretation and the town councils comment about a bill changing reciprocity to UTVUtah. They weren't aware of any bill or law that changed to mean what Sgt Edge stated.
It's been the case for some time, the answer you get about street legal in Utah, depends on who you ask.

·
Vendor
1,545 Posts
I think a municipality can opt out or pass an ordinance if they wish, but I'm referring specifically to reciprocity of registration at the state level, which is up to Parks & Rec to decide when it comes to OHV's on the highway.

From the Utah Street Legal OHV code:
"In accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, the Board of Parks and Recreation shall establish eligibility requirements for reciprocal operating privileges for nonresident users granted under Subsection (5)(a)."
Actually, they can pass an ordinance that is more lenient, ie allowing non licensed vehicles on the street, but Utah law has a provision that no city can prohibit street legal OHV use on any road, UNLESS they prohibit all street legal vehicles.
So, Moab knows they can't eliminate street legal OHVs from town.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've got a six week trip out that way this spring so it's a bit disconcerting. + = drop into Pritchett Canyon

If your licensed and registered to be street legal in Idaho, and have the required equipment for Utah, you will be legal in Moab Utah. As long as they offer reciprocity to the state your machine is licensed in. Same as a resident of SD, NM, or ID.

If they choose to quit offering reciprocity to those states then you won’t be legal. But neither will residents of those states. Some people haven’t made that connection yet but if they don’t recognize license and registration from say NM, no one with a NM license plate is going to be legal there. Resident or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
Just to be clear, what MoabPD posted is his interpretation of Utah law, not just in Moab.

I personally believe he is incorrect, have questioned him, and he was researching it. He has not responded.

I also posed the question about his interpretation and the town councils comment about a bill changing reciprocity to UTVUtah. They weren't aware of any bill or law that changed to mean what Sgt Edge stated.
It's been the case for some time, the answer you get about street legal in Utah, depends on who you ask.
I personally believe he is too, but it's also hard to argue with that source outside of a courtroom, which if he were mistaken, you'd win, but of course that's a big hassle, especially since it would be out of state, I'm awaiting his reply as well.

Actually, they can pass an ordinance that is more lenient, ie allowing non licensed vehicles on the street, but Utah law has a provision that no city can prohibit street legal OHV use on any road, UNLESS they prohibit all street legal vehicles.
So, Moab knows they can't eliminate street legal OHVs from town.
Good to know, I wasn't sure which way Utah went with that, in NM, all municipalities have the option to opt out of the OHV allowance, or designate specific routes. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change in Utah, highly due to a push from Moab, I think designating specific routes in Moab might be the solution they need ( I understand they can't currently do that based on what you just said of the Utah law)...but I mean realistically, we just need Main St, Kane Creek, the route to Sand Flats, and parts of Spanish Valley Dr ( as far as within the city limits... 128 & 279 are entirely outside the city I believe)...it wouldn't make everybody happy, but it might be a fair compromise if it came to that. ( I don't support limits, just a thought for a middle ground ).

If your licensed and registered to be street legal in Idaho, and have the required equipment for Utah, you will be legal in Moab Utah. As long as they offer reciprocity to the state your machine is licensed in. Same as a resident of SD, NM, or ID.

If they choose to quit offering reciprocity to those states then you won’t be legal. But neither will residents of those states. Some people haven’t made that connection yet but if they don’t recognize license and registration from say NM, no one with a NM license plate is going to be legal there. Resident or not.

While they could choose to not honor any reciprocity with those states (or any state, that would be a killer), they can also choose to specify between resident and non-resident reciprocity, since those are registrations given under specific conditions. They can choose to not honor the non-resident NM sticker, and still honor the resident NM license plate if they choose, and that is what Chief Edge has currently stated is the case, although we all know we are waiting for confirmation of that, and have doubts.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I personally believe he is too, but it's also hard to argue with that source outside of a courtroom, which if he were mistaken, you'd win, but of course that's a big hassle, especially since it would be out of state, I'm awaiting his reply as well.

Good to know, I wasn't sure which way Utah went with that, in NM, all municipalities have the option to opt out of the OHV allowance, or designate specific routes. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change in Utah, highly due to a push from Moab, I think designating specific routes in Moab might be the solution they need ( I understand they can't currently do that based on what you just said of the Utah law)...but I mean realistically, we just need Main St, Kane Creek, the route to Sand Flats, and parts of Spanish Valley Dr ( as far as within the city limits... 128 & 279 are entirely outside the city I believe)...it wouldn't make everybody happy, but it might be a fair compromise if it came to that. ( I don't support limits, just a thought for a middle ground ).

While they could choose to not honor any reciprocity with those states (or any state, that would be a killer), they can also choose to specify between resident and non-resident reciprocity, since those are registrations given under specific conditions. They can choose to not honor the non-resident NM sticker, and still honor the resident NM license plate if they choose, and that is what Chief Edge has currently stated is the case, although we all know we are waiting for confirmation of that, and have doubts.
Actually he did not state they won’t honor the non resident NM, or SD license. He stated simply that you have to also be street legal in your (the owner of the machine) home state. Which shows up no where that I’ve been able to find in the law. Or anyone else so far.

Sgt Edge didn’t offer any distinction between the SD license, or the NM non resident sticker. If you read carefully what he said and how he worded it it appears he is currently under the impression that those are acceptable as long as your also legal in your “home” state.

So if you have a NM non resident sticker, and that your also street legal in your home state, then you would be fine in Utah.

When you think about it this makes no sense. And is why I believe this to be a misunderstanding.

·
Vendor
1,545 Posts

New Mexico would be easy to discern resident versus non resident, since they issue a sticker to non residents and a plate to residents. However, Idaho and South Dakota issues plates and they are the same. How would they ever enforce that? Once you think about it, it would be almost impossible to enforce, unless they had a valid reason to stop you, ie speeding.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
Actually he did not state they won’t honor the non resident NM, or SD license. He stated simply that you have to also be street legal in your (the owner of the machine) home state. Which shows up no where that I’ve been able to find. Or anyone else so far.

He said they wouldn't honor it if you weren't allowed to be registered as street legal in your home state... (which then, you'd only need the permit if your state didn't issue a street legal registration...which most do)

Quote from his post:
"Unfortunately, the New Mexico paved road permit will not allow you to operate on public roads in Utah, including those in Moab, unless your home state allows you to register your OHV as a street-legal vehicle."

Which means, if your home state doesn't allow OHV's to be street legal, you can't be street legal in Utah, period. This is where @07turbo, and those with similar situations, would have an issue.

We are all on the same page that no one can find where the "home state" clause is written...and doubt that he is correct in that manner. This is all a discussion over semantics at this point lol

New Mexico would be easy to discern resident versus non resident, since they issue a sticker to non residents and a plate to residents. However, Idaho and South Dakota issues plates and they are the same. How would they ever enforce that? Once you think about it, it would be almost impossible to enforce, unless they had a valid reason to stop you, ie speeding.
100% agree, and I think that's the only time it would ever come into account. Which goes back to what I've always said about it: Don't be an idiot, you'll be fine. ( And as whole, help us all by not being one, but....humans) Although, if they wanted to be hard asses about it, they could use an SD or Idaho plate in general as probable cause to stop you and verify ( Highly doubt they'd ever do that, but they could ).

The OHV legalities are a niche, and ultimately, you're going to be at the mercy of whomever is enforcing the regulations, and may have to fight it in court if it comes to that, and even if you're certain you'd win, it still makes for a huge pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
A lot of this makes ZERO sense. The ones of us who go to the effort to make our machines street legal are not the problem. Choosing to not honor reciprocity of another states plate would have to come from the state and not the local municipalities. Choosing not to honor them but allow Utah plated UTVs would be discrimination, again against state law. I understand the noise problem and have no problem with imposing reasonable noise restrictions.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
A lot of this makes ZERO sense. The ones of us who go to the effort to make our machines street legal are not the problem. Choosing to not honor reciprocity of another states plate would have to come from the state and not the local municipalities. Choosing not to honor them but allow Utah plated UTVs would be discrimination, again against state law. I understand the noise problem and have no problem with imposing reasonable noise restrictions.
Well said.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,051 Posts
It definitely makes zero sense, but it's legislative, so.... I wouldn't expect much else! and I couldn't agree more that we're not the problem lol :ROFLMAO: We are speaking at the state level tho, just using Moab as commonplace since the info came from the PD, he is supposedly getting the info form the state.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts