Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can chime in. I'm looking for any information on getting one of these titled and registered as a street legal vehicle in the states of NY, FL, or MA...

As I see it, if the vehicle is registered as a regular vehicle, then I would be able to register it in one of those states and use it anywhere in the US. (same as a car) This would be my first choice, but im open to suggestions.

any help would be appreciated. I am willing to modify the vehicle as needed

thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
Quote: "Registered as a regular vehicle, then I would be able to register it in one of those states and use it anywhere in the US. (same as a car)"

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Mine is street legal here in Az....... I can't take it to California and drive it on the street, every state has different regulations.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
AZ is cool and has alot less restrictions on just about everything. Goodluck to anyone trying to get street legal in Ca.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not trying In california... And if I can't get away w registering it in one place and taking to another, then my only place of interest would be Long Island, NY.

So if anyone has any info on the state of NY, please let me know

·
The Beast
336 Posts
Go to your County Clerks office and ask if they have a provision for a Medium Speed Vehicle. Your biggest hurdle is whether or not your Title states "For Off Road Use Only".
This is the biggest problem to overcome. I'm in TN, and my Rzr S was originally titled in AZ. Therefore, no Off road Statement. If you have the Manufacturers Build Title, in most cases, it has the off road statement.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Go to your County Clerks office and ask if they have a provision for a Medium Speed Vehicle. Your biggest hurdle is whether or not your Title states "For Off Road Use Only".
This is the biggest problem to overcome. I'm in TN, and my Rzr S was originally titled in AZ. Therefore, no Off road Statement. If you have the Manufacturers Build Title, in most cases, it has the off road statement.
Good Luck!
Right....You gotta make some phone calls to local auth. I'd add that tires are also a stickler. You can't run around on pavement with swamp tires. I believe there are profile restrictions and their required rubber would suck offroad. Like stated, it's all particular to where you live. If you want to take it to FL with NY tags, give it a try. Might get a ticket and get towed, but might not. Florida is filled with New Yorkers anyway, they're used to the tags down there :)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
There have been quite a few threads about this subject. If you use the search function, you will most likely find the info you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok here are a couple things to think about.

What if you bought one of these from a state that issued a title W/O "off road use only" on it. Then wouldn't you be able to take it to whatever state you wanted, do all of the modifications, such as lights, mirrors, ect and get it registered?

·
Registered
919 Posts
No....... Some states do not allow UTV's on the road period. Those are basically the states that don't let you register it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... Next angle

Say you are a FL resident, with a FL drivers license. You buy a RZR, modify it to meet the Laws of an On-road vehicle. (which has been done) Once this is done, the title is now changed. It is not considered an off-road vehicle anymore. Get full insurance on it as well.

Now you have an on-road vehicle with full insurance. I don't see a reason you wouldn't be able to drive it in other states. (While lets say visiting)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts