Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Besides a few atf friendly towns an atv or sxs can not be registered for road use in the state of ky. I carry my license and insurance card with me thinking it could help if i.got caught.

Besides that we are out of luck though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NO. :rm_thumbdown:

ATV's cannot be registered for road use in KY. The only exception is for agricultural use. Farmers are allowed to drive across the road if there property is divided by a road.

If an ATV tire touches the road, the law allows your ATV to be impounded. And where I'm from, they do it all the time.

Only place I know where this is the exception is in Evarts, Ky where the ATV park is. You can drive the .5 mile of road on your ATV to go to the store and gas station if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to clerks office today and they said they knew of a couple of people in KY that had gotten it done but not sure how they did. Will try to find out more and post it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't get to try last weekend. Hopefully will this one. The sheriffs office on the weekend is usually better to work with uoy

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't done mine, but I'm pretty sure you can register anything with 4 wheels. You just gotta have everything your car has, such as blinkers, horn, wipers if you have a windshield etc.

That is just my understanding of it, I have not done it, but I have seen a few buggies around that are done up the same way.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I checked in boyle and laurel and they bbth stopped just short of laughing at me. All the answers I got was no.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am working on it with the county clerks office. They are taking it to Frankfort next week. If we get it done for UTV's it will NOT include ATV's or any interstate travel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
try explaining that its a dune buggy instead of referring to it as a ATV or side by side. also you need to provide proof of insurance on a "dune buggy" to them when asking for tour tag, if they want to inspect your (dune buggy) then fine, have proper equipment on it already. lights, blinkers, horn, etc....

·
Registered
669 Posts
try explaining that its a dune buggy instead of referring to it as a ATV or side by side. also you need to provide proof of insurance on a "dune buggy" to them when asking for tour tag, if they want to inspect your (dune buggy) then fine, have proper equipment on it already. lights, blinkers, horn, etc....
That's a good point

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Every one said it could not be done in CA. well I proved every one wrong. I went to the DMV and asked what was required to get a tag. When asked what it was I told them " it was a Polaris kind of like a Jeep". I jumped through all of the hoops and spent a bunch of $$$. So if you don't have a lot of time, $$$ and patience, don't bother. Then after I got it street legal I drove it from TN to OR.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anybody been able to get their rzr street legal in ky and if so please tell how. Thanks in advance
I dont know how it is in your state but Wa. needs windshield, roll cage/roof that meet requirements, head lights tail lights turn signals horn mounted to vehicle seat belts dot tires. you need to check into LSV or MSV lic in your town thats 25mph or 35mph or less on county roads only no hwy if you look close at mine you can see but cops still hassle me

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just get it registered as a dune buggy(with new vin) do all the stuff to make a dune buggy street legal(windshield, wiper, turns, bumpers) and trailer it to the local dmv and get it inspected, then go pay your $$$ for tags, and then drive it home.

That is my plan...lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts