Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has been successful in getting a RZR street legal in Illinois. Has anyone tried?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I realize Idaho is a long ways from you guys but I have been told that as of January 1, 2009 ATV's will be legal to ride on the streets. I am not sure what or if any changes have to made. Idahoprilgrim my be able to help.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Go to the DMV and tell them you have an off road jeep that you want to get a road tag for and ask them what the requirements are. Don 't tell them it is an ATV. Bring it with you in case they want to have a look. Bring it in clean and looking nice. In CA we have a classifacation called duel sport it is mainly for motorcycles but it worked for my RZR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am still working on this also but have been in touch with springfield and the sec. of state police.The federal regulation on plating LSV -low speed vehicles-which illinois has adopted, states that it must have a windshield,turnsignals,mirrors,horn,parking brake, and must not exceed 28mph(which is possible by converting it to the dual key limiter)
They are telling me that the only way to "street legal" this is to plate it as a "Low Speed Vehicle" .....

The only problem i am encountering is that it is already titled as an "off road vehicle" , my arguement is that, it is but if i meet all criteria for converting it to a LSV i should be able to have it inspected -checked to be compliant - and re-titled as a LSV. the CFR(federal code) specificaly details that a golf cart cannot classify as a LSV , yet every plate i see issued in my area are converted golf carts that have all the listed requirements.......I'm gonna fight the fight till i win because they have no basis for not giving me plates if my machine meets all requirements .......the women i spoke to in springfield actually agreed with me and i am waiting for a reply from the sec. of state police ---what the have to do with this i'm not quite sure but thats who they directed me to...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the update. I live in Jacksonville, IL which is just 30 minutes West of Springfield. Keep us updated and maybe we can get this done. Just wondering why they thought these could only be registered as a slow vehicle? Doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here in the Chicago land area, we just slip the cop :cop2: a couple $20's. It's how business is done in this corrupt area.

Seriously though, I have a buddy in the Sheriffs office and he told me that McHenry County (all though rural) only allows for RZRs and other side by sides to be on the rode side with a slow triangle pulling some sort of farm equipment. He said the tree-huggers in Springfield are against any type of off road vehicles being used anywhere so it will never make it past local government. Maybe its different by you.

I HATE THIS CRAPPY STATE!!!:boohoo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree makes no sense what so ever especially with the gas prices what they are ,but on the flip side i can see a little bit the speed restriction due to the competition on the street (higher speed) if an accident were to happen with even a reg.full size car let alone a SUV or a semi at higher speeds with our rzr's probibility of serious injury would be high.......even though our vehicles are built much better than these "smart cars" that are on the street which have a smaller wheel bases.... (opinion is cause i'm a fireman who has had to extricate people from many cars).......i am about an hour south/west of chicago and the police really dont mess with anyone traveling on the sides of the roads well off the pavement .......And the other requirement for LSV is a sign posted on the machine stating that this is a low speed vehicle.........AND YES ILLINOIS IS THE MOST CORRUPT STATE IN THE UNION !!!!!!!!! I do hear of some of these smaller towns around my area that are tring to pass their own ordinance to allow limited use on street

·
Registered
70 Posts
....but on the flip side i can see a little bit the speed restriction due to the competition on the street (higher speed) if an accident were to happen with even a reg.full size car let alone a SUV or a semi at higher speeds with our rzr's probibility of serious injury would be high.......
Motorcycle...no roll cage, seat belts.
Those T-Rex things. -Motorcycle license 3 wheeled *small car* imo.

I don't see how justification can be called on the vehicle class being "unsafe" with other vehicles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am still working on this also but have been in touch with springfield and the sec. of state police.The federal regulation on plating LSV -low speed vehicles-which illinois has adopted, states that it must have a windshield,turnsignals,mirrors,horn,parking brake, and must not exceed 28mph(which is possible by converting it to the dual key limiter)
They are telling me that the only way to "street legal" this is to plate it as a "Low Speed Vehicle" .....

The only problem i am encountering is that it is already titled as an "off road vehicle" , my arguement is that, it is but if i meet all criteria for converting it to a LSV i should be able to have it inspected -checked to be compliant - and re-titled as a LSV. the CFR(federal code) specificaly details that a golf cart cannot classify as a LSV , yet every plate i see issued in my area are converted golf carts that have all the listed requirements.......I'm gonna fight the fight till i win because they have no basis for not giving me plates if my machine meets all requirements .......the women i spoke to in springfield actually agreed with me and i am waiting for a reply from the sec. of state police ---what the have to do with this i'm not quite sure but thats who they directed me to...
Keep us posted. That would be so cool!!:huepfenicon111:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone else looked into this lately a friend of mine tried doing a low speed vehicle plate and they said they will not do a Polaris Yamaha Suzuki If we built a chassis for it could we claim it's a buggy?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
All you can do is call the SOS office or if you see one,talk to a Secretary of State Police Officer.They are the ones who ultimately inspect and approve Homemade vehicles.

Doug

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
I don't really want to ride in my state anyway. I'm at least 0 for 10 out west with my current system. Just learn the goodguy copwave paradewave.
Drove it up and down the Vegas strip last year but that's not a big deal cause all they care about is j-walkers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Don't think it would ever happen, unless you built a tube chassis and swapped everything over. Then you would have a home made vehicle like the licensed VW dune buggies, but with a Popo drivetrain and plastic. No more vin #, but you might have a problem if it has a lien against it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For me I wouldn't want to ride on busy highways competing for a lane. BUT it would be nice to be able to legally drive down to the local hardware or ice cream shop on a hot day cruise around the lake ect. Without being street legal Leo would definite give you a ticket. I think most people don't always have a trail system close and you could get a lot more enjoyment having a machine that was versatile. I will probably make mine street legal once the warrantee runs out but for now it's just a trail machine.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
Moab is the best example I can think of why. But that's why you are there.

Ideally I would love to stay there on hwy 128, first BLM sites. Lock the truck and camper, never pull out. Then RZR all over town. Have RZRd down from Slick Rock just for supper/ laundry/ car wash but there's little chance of getting in trouble cause the road comes out in the center of town.
Parking in front of Zax and the brewery was a little ballsy but was my 50th bday. felt like doing everything I missed out on in my 20's 30' and 40's.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts