Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - New to the forum and hoping someone can help. I have a 2019 RZR XP 1000 with 450 miles and 30 hours. The other day, I was on a ride and the instrument cluster gave me an error of OVR 15.3V, which ranged from 15.1V to 15.5V. Nothing else was acting different about the machine, only the code on the display. I immediately thought it might be the voltage regulator so when I got home, I tested it (all looked good) but decided to buy a new OEM VR anyway. Installed the new VR and the same code would flash about 10 seconds after starting the machine. So, I thought maybe the battery is bad. Bought a new OEM battery and installed. Same thing happened. I have tested the AC voltage coming off the stator = good, tested the new VR = good, checked my grounds = good. The other strange thing is that when the machine is off and the key is turned to the on position (without the engine running), the display reads 13.8 volts but when I put my meter on the battery, it reads about 12.8 volts. When I start the machine, the display reads 15.5 volts and my battery (with meter) reads 14.5 volts. It's almost like the machine is reading 1 volt too high, which is tripping the OVR code on the display. Any ideas? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out and the RZR is our of warranty (of course).

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Pull the dash and make sure all the connectors are on real good. Sounds like one of the connectors is only partially on. Have seen this and it was a loose connector on back of the dash panel.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If the connection is good as mentioned above, it would be interesting if you had a friend that would let you swap instrument cluster. Gauges do go bad occasionally. I had to have my entire cluster replaced under warranty with 10 hours on the machine. I had a slightly different issue, but works fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I disconnected the instrument cluster plug and inspected. All looks good and tight. Turned the machine on and wiggled each wire that feeds the plug (there are 6) and no difference in the voltage reading. Had my meter on the battery the whole time and it is reading exactly 1 volt less than the instrument gauge. I also have a volt gauge on a USB in the dash and that to is reading the same voltage as my battery (12.8 with engine off and 14.4 with engine running at idle. I cleaned and tightened the ground spike again also. Nothing...I am at a loss. If it is a gauge malfunction, will it cause any harm to run it this way? I really don't want to spend $400 right now on a new gauge.

·
Registered
2014 XP4 1000, tons of mods
550 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I disconnected the instrument cluster plug and inspected. All looks good and tight. Turned the machine on and wiggled each wire that feeds the plug (there are 6) and no difference in the voltage reading. Had my meter on the battery the whole time and it is reading exactly 1 volt less than the instrument gauge. I also have a volt gauge on a USB in the dash and that to is reading the same voltage as my battery (12.8 with engine off and 14.4 with engine running at idle. I cleaned and tightened the ground spike again also. Nothing...I am at a loss. If it is a gauge malfunction, will it cause any harm to run it this way? I really don't want to spend $400 right now on a new gauge.
Shouldn’t hurt it at all. You already know what the actual voltage is. When I replaced my dash to put the ride command in.... I didn’t re use the cigarette lighter. I used a step bit and drilled out the hole a little larger and added a digital voltmeter with 2 usb plug ins. Easy install and low cost. Gives you 2 useable usb charging ports and also the voltage. Do one of those and then you can keep an eye on it in real time.

camera doesn’t show the number well in the pic. But it reads clear as day. 13.00 on amazon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - New to the forum and hoping someone can help. I have a 2019 RZR XP 1000 with 450 miles and 30 hours. The other day, I was on a ride and the instrument cluster gave me an error of OVR 15.3V, which ranged from 15.1V to 15.5V. Nothing else was acting different about the machine, only the code on the display. I immediately thought it might be the voltage regulator so when I got home, I tested it (all looked good) but decided to buy a new OEM VR anyway. Installed the new VR and the same code would flash about 10 seconds after starting the machine. So, I thought maybe the battery is bad. Bought a new OEM battery and installed. Same thing happened. I have tested the AC voltage coming off the stator = good, tested the new VR = good, checked my grounds = good. The other strange thing is that when the machine is off and the key is turned to the on position (without the engine running), the display reads 13.8 volts but when I put my meter on the battery, it reads about 12.8 volts. When I start the machine, the display reads 15.5 volts and my battery (with meter) reads 14.5 volts. It's almost like the machine is reading 1 volt too high, which is tripping the OVR code on the display. Any ideas? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out and the RZR is our of warranty (of course).

·
Registered
2016 900 Trail, 2021 XP1K Trails and Rocks
78 Posts
Did you find a fix im Having the same issue and I dont know what the problem
Hey, I'm having a similar issue with my 2021 T& R Ed. Rzr. Really funky voltage readings ranging from 14.2 to 15.6 even while idling. Screen goes blank almost like suddenly losing electrical power or turning on the key. Machine Operates fine, doesn't hesitate or miss a beat when cluster goes blank.
Any solutions ti this issue ?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts