Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have searched all over and have found similar problems but no true solutions.

I have a 2018 rzr xp4 1000
Rzr runs great, like normal, after riding a while, I will be mid throttle cruising down the road at various speeds and all of a sudden it just falls on its face as if I let off the throttle. I let go of the throttle and step on it again, and the rzr will jump like it wants to go and then let off again like I let go of the throttle. It will keep doing this until I come to a stop. Several times when I stop it will idle rough and then die. So I turn the ignition all the way off and start the engine and it runs fine like normal. Engine never is never running hot. Sometimes it will throw misfire codes, other times it doesn’t give codes at all. Seems to be doing it more often now. Sometimes if I ease into the gas pedal it will get better and won’t give out. It seems to do it more often if I step on the gas pedal to accelerate fast. What really throws me, is that when I turn it off and back on it runs fine. I’m thinking it has to be some sort of electrical problem. I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn’t get it to fail for them. They said they checked the spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coils, belt, primary clutch, secondary clutch, and fuel pump. All checked out good. I changed the belt and spark plug wires before hand hoping to get lucky but no luck. Any ideas will really help. Thanks.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,356 Posts
That's a tough one
Dealer covered a lot of the normal issues
I was going to say fuel pump or regulator but you said the dealer checked it

·
Registered
480 Posts
Can you duplicate the problem driving on a street or parking lot?

Maybe drive it with a "technician" at the dealer to duplicate?

From what the dealer "checked", sounds like the "technician" did not connect a scan tool to check ECM inputs and outputs or even drive the machine. Pretty much the norm in the automotive field. Plugs, wires, coils, clutches, fuel delivery, and belt are "basic" checks (IMHO)
Does Polaris have a diagnostic tool that can record "events" from the ECM?
Is the machine under warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually thinking of driving around town close to the dealer till it happened and hoping one of them would jump in and see for themselves. I will have to try that. No more warranty unfortunately. Factory warranty is only 6 months. Not sure about the scan tool. I know they pulled the codes that were stored but that is all I know of. Hopefully I can get it to act up with one of them with me.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it where you can watch it. Run it and see what happens. Suspect the fuel pump is not keeping up at times. Shut it off and start over, the pump recycles and catches up till next time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 19 xp41k did this same thing after I did gear reduction and larger tires. Mine turned out to be a belt slip issue causing a very temporary limp mode only after stopping for a while. A clutch kit resolved the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I will try the fuel pressure gauge and see what I find. I will check my belt for glazing and see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven’t changed anything on the vehicle. Everything is still stock. Fuel pump seems to make the most sense. I just ordered a new one. Will swap it out and see if that fixes the issue. If not well it’s not bad to have a spare. Will keep you guys posted. Not supposed to receive it till June 10 though. Coronavirus has everything all messed up. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,198 Posts
My money is on a bad fuel pump. Electric pumps can do weird things when they're on their way out. I had a very similar issue last summer that I chased for a bit and the fuel pump ended up fixing it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
intermittent is the worst!
at first it sounded like what always happens to mine when i forget to put my seatbelt on (again!).
good luck and yeah, let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright guys, finally got my pump in on Friday! Put it in and so far after 2 rides I haven’t had any issues! I’m hoping that was the problem. Hoping to take it out on an all day ride soon and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So just wanted to give another update. I have been out about 5 times since installing my new pump, went on a couple long night rides. No problems at all. Ran great. Just want to say thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that's great to hear!
but after 5 rides you didn't break anything??
you're not having enough fun!! :ROFLMAO:
jk. congrats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts