Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put braking in quotes because that is the opposite of what this machine does at times. My buddy has a new 1000s and when he starts down a hill and lets off the throttle the machine starts slowing down as it should and the RPMs drop. At least they drop until the RPMs reach around 3600-3700 then the machine speeds up as if he is hitting the throttle. It will do this until the RPMs reach around 4100 then it will slow back down to 3600-3700 and repeat.

Very strange and dangerous when you are on the side of a mountain and not expecting it to do that. Has anyone else ever had a similar issue and if so what fixed it? This machine has been to the dealer twice already and they can't seem to fix the issue. One problem is not many dealers have a hill nearby where they can repeat this. It doesn't do it on flat ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless the machine shouldn't increase RPMs as if he is hitting the throttle should it? The machine literally starts speeding up once it gets to around 3600 rpm just like he is putting his foot on the throttle.

My XP's clutch would just disengage without me feathering the throttle but his machine is different being an "S" model. His clutch never disengages.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Dunno, sounds like it starts to freewheel and then catches again. If he feathers it lightly does it still do it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if it would do it if he feathers the throttle, I'll tell him to try that, but I have been in the machine when it does it and it definitely does not feel like it ever free wheels.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does he have EBS, if so check the bearing in the primary other wise the secondary has some issues with the helix/rollers/spring. Either way pull the clutches apart and find the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Rzr Joe nailed it. A quick tap on the throttle will engage the belt and keep the speed down.
This is owner of rzr in question. Just joined the forum. So, the machine never starts to freewheel. The only RPM range i have this problem with is between 3600 and 4000 rpms. If the rpms are less than 3600 rpms and machine is going downhill, even at extreme incline 45 degree slope while not pushing on throttle the engine braking works great, as in it will slow the machine to a slow crawl. As stated earlier, while in that 3600 to 4000 rpm range while going downhill its like the machine is on cruise control. Basically engine braking and or throttle disengagement throttle works great <3600 rpms, and works great > 4000 rpms. So if at 7000rpms and I remove foot from throttle, rpms drop to 4000 fairly quick, then will stay in the "cruise control" mode until i manually brake to below 3600 rpms, then engine braking kicks in. I forgot to mention, feathering the throttle does not keep engine braking engaged on this machine. Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had a bad tune on my rzr that would cause that. It would surge right before it should free wheel and rpms would jump up and RZR would lurch forward .. .. it was really dangerous especially when trying to crawl off steep rock ledges - it was BAD

If your engine breaking, and it falls into free wheel the rpms should drop to idle not rev up. Has it had any after market tunes??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a bad tune on my rzr that would cause that. It would surge right before it should free wheel and rpms would jump up and RZR would lurch forward .. .. it was really dangerous especially when trying to crawl off steep rock ledges - it was BAD

If your engine breaking, and it falls into free wheel the rpms should drop to idle not rev up. Has it had any after market tunes??
100% stock, still under factory warranty

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm not sure if the new S is supposed to have EBS or not. Some people love it, some don't. Personally, I absolutely hate it. I dont need the engine to slow me down going down hill, thats what the brakes are for, its a rzr not a mack truck. Brake pads are cheap and easy to replace. If it were me, I would get a new secondary with a non EBS helix and call it a day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts