Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing a set of Highlifter springs and a Racertech lift kit on my 2008 RZR in a couple weeks. I was thinking that since I was going to have everything taken apart, I might as well replace the stock shocks with better quality ones as well. I don't really need, or can afford, the dual cylinder shocks like the Walker Evans, Elka, or Exit shocks. My riding is mostly with my wife on trails and old Forest Service roads at slower speeds and somtimes carrying some equipment. I also want to keep the overall width within the stock 50" as we ride some trails with tight gate posts and need to stay under 50". Can anyone offer suggestions on what shocks I could use to upgrade the stock ones and have them fit with the Highlifter springs?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just put a pair of Suzuki LTR 450 shocks on the front of mine. They work great and cheap also..... Put 250 miles on in WV 3 weeks ago and never bottomed out once, and we were flying..............

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
IMO, I would stick with a shock that is designed for the RZR. There are several shock companies that do make a non-reservoir model but are not much less expensive than the reservoir type. I also mostly trail ride at slower speeds but having the ability to adjust the shocks (compression, rebound and pre-load) is priceless! It's like comparing a pickup truck to a Caddy:rofl3: Again, it's just my opinion but just save your pennies for awhile use what ya got and then upgrade to a nice set of shocks. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, there is always someone upgrading to long travel and wanting to sell there upgraded shocks from there 50 incher.
George

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will be installing a set of Highlifter springs and a Racertech lift kit on my 2008 RZR in a couple weeks. I was thinking that since I was going to have everything taken apart, I might as well replace the stock shocks with better quality ones as well. I don't really need, or can afford, the dual cylinder shocks like the Walker Evans, Elka, or Exit shocks. My riding is mostly with my wife on trails and old Forest Service roads at slower speeds and somtimes carrying some equipment. I also want to keep the overall width within the stock 50" as we ride some trails with tight gate posts and need to stay under 50". Can anyone offer suggestions on what shocks I could use to upgrade the stock ones and have them fit with the Highlifter springs?
I would skip the HL springs and go with the makintrax suspension progressive springs. The HL springs will only make your ride stiff and paired with the 2" racertech lift might break an axle when ur wheel falls in a deep hole. My buddy had that problem and had to use limiting straps. With the makintrax springs u can upgrade shocks later and improve ur ride even more... Do a search under the suspension forum on here and you should find more than enough info on makintrax springs... Im about to order a set in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
agree with bobbymc. Just installed makin trac springs with afco shocks last week. There great. Best advice would be to contact Steve at makin trac he'll help you out and steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
140 Posts
suzuki ltr 450 shock killer idea ,,how did they work did they bottom out? the 06 07 year ltrs had stiffer front shocks than the 08-09 i just sold all my ltr 450s to get my 08 razor , the shock full adjustable compression and rebound i bet the work good

·
Registered
143 Posts
suzuki ltr 450 shock killer idea ,,how did they work did they bottom out? the 06 07 year ltrs had stiffer front shocks than the 08-09 i just sold all my ltr 450s to get my 08 razor , the shock full adjustable compression and rebound i bet the work good
They work awsome. I know there are alot of folks that say ATV shocks on a RZR... RIGHT!!!!!!!! Well the work and don't cost $$$$.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
They work awsome. I know there are alot of folks that say ATV shocks on a RZR... RIGHT!!!!!!!! Well the work and don't cost $$$$.
Great idea.....These have compression and rebound? How do they compare to the Polaris factory shocks....? I can't imagine they are like a new set of Walker Evans, but are they "noticeably" better than factory gear?

Edit: Checked Ebay and they are cheap....A pair for $200 that look in great shape. This could fill a nice little void for me until I can justify Elkas or Exit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great idea.....These have compression and rebound? How do they compare to the Polaris factory shocks....? I can't imagine they are like a new set of Walker Evans, but are they "noticeably" better than factory gear?

Edit: Checked Ebay and they are cheap....A pair for $200 that look in great shape. This could fill a nice little void for me until I can justify Elkas or Exit.

Yes they have compression and rebound and preload adjustments. My stock fronts had NO rubber bumpers left in them and bottomed out ALL the time. The resi 450 shocks are set to the softest setting with a little bit of preload and haven't bottomed out yet. I have a EMP front bumper and a 4500lb winch on the front also. I just couldn't see paying the big bucks for other shocks. I know of at least 6 others with them on there RZR's. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Sounds to me like you are the perfect canidate for the AFCO MT-1's Great shock for trails and all around use. Re-buildable/re-valveable. Made in the USA .

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would skip the HL springs and go with the makintrax suspension progressive springs. The HL springs will only make your ride stiff and paired with the 2" racertech lift might break an axle when ur wheel falls in a deep hole. My buddy had that problem and had to use limiting straps. With the makintrax springs u can upgrade shocks later and improve ur ride even more... Do a search under the suspension forum on here and you should find more than enough info on makintrax springs... Im about to order a set in about 2 weeks.
Why would the racertech lift cause the axle to break? The lift isnt supposed to let the tire drop any more than stock it just basically stiffens the springs by increasing the leverage. Maybe I am mistaken.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can someone who has done the ltr 450 shocks put up a write up on the conversion and maybe some pictures. Did a search but didnt really come up with anything good. Thanks

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Prog spring from Makin trax will also lift you about 1" as well as stopping bottoming back at the first setting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
got 2010rzrs chance to buy king springs for good price wondered if worth $300. to upgrade springs what will it do for the ride handling

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My suggestion is that if you have no experience with the advice that you're giving, DON'T post anything!!!! NOT BEING Rude, but getting fed up with hearsay..
I've run HighLifter Springs,Stock Shocks and the RacerTech 2" Lift Kit for 1 1/2 years and they don't get close to CV Bind. As far as breaking an axle by dropping into a hole, I would suspect that if the HOLE was deep enough and you were going FAST enough, ANY AXLE could break.

AND for the RacerTech Lift Kit, DO MORE RESEARCH, they were one of the EARLIEST, IF NOT THE 1st to perfectly design a Lift.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My suggestion is that if you have no experience with the advice that you're giving, DON'T post anything!!!! NOT BEING Rude, but getting fed up with hearsay..
Thank you !!!!

I'm member on a bunch of boards, and a mod on one... and while this board has a ton of great info (thanks for that) there are a bunch of people who post because "They heard about it from a buddy, who knew someone, who's sister's B/F had a problem."

I'm new to the RZR scene.. but I've already been shot down because I'm fitting shocks from some other bike on my rig. Needless to say, this is always from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, and they always say... "Buy brand-X... it's the best."

Sorry for that.

Back to the conversation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thank you !!!!

I'm member on a bunch of boards, and a mod on one... and while this board has a ton of great info (thanks for that) there are a bunch of people who post because "They heard about it from a buddy, who knew someone, who's sister's B/F had a problem."

I'm new to the RZR scene.. but I've already been shot down because I'm fitting shocks from some other bike on my rig. Needless to say, this is always from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, and they always say... "Buy brand-X... it's the best."

Sorry for that.

Back to the conversation.
Thanks for all your posts on the Suzuki 450 shocks! I'm sure some suspension vendors are upset about the find, but it seems to me that the people who paid more money than the cheaper Suzuki shocks are the ones trying to blast all your posts with negativity. Most people who drive RZR's ride extremely slow and DO NOT need sport suspension. The Suzuki shocks are cheaper and seem more than capable of handling most RZR owners riding style. (Duners and aggressive trail riders need not apply) I'm getting a set to put on when my wife drives the RZR and I'll slap the Exit shocks when I drive. Best of both worlds. Thanks again for the find and testing!

Now all you cheerleaders of $400 springs and $1000+ shocks, please stop hating!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts