Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that most people go and get a aftermarket cage for safety and I’m sure a lot are for looks. I have been told that the turbo S has a lot stronger cage than previous rzr models. Is this true? This is my first rzr so I don’t know much about that part. I mainly dune and a little trail riding. Anyone had a hard rollover in a stock turbo S cage? How did it hold up? Helmets are always worn in my turbo S4 as well. Just want to see others opinions on the matter, especially those who have had medium to hard wrecks in them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I just got a XPT4 turbo a few months ago and the first thing I did was get a cage. When I had to cut the door mounts off to put them on the new cage I was shocked at how thin the stock cage is. Yes, mine is not a "S" but its still a turbo that can go just as fast as the S can. I also go to Copart, the insurance wrecking yard almost once a week for work and I see a ton of RZR's there including S models with cages absolutely smashed down. The stock cage is worthless in my opinion, especially for dune riding where you can hit some good speed then go off a dune face or have a violent roll over. A good cage is just a no brainer.

I did a Cagewrx cage and absolutely love it. Very well constructed and super easy to put together. I did the weld up kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got a XPT4 turbo a few months ago and the first thing I did was get a cage. When I had to cut the door mounts off to put them on the new cage I was shocked at how thin the stock cage is. Yes, mine is not a "S" but its still a turbo that can go just as fast as the S can. I also go to Copart, the insurance wrecking yard almost once a week for work and I see a ton of RZR's there including S models with cages absolutely smashed down. The stock cage is worthless in my opinion, especially for dune riding where you can hit some good speed then go off a dune face or have a violent roll over. A good cage is just a no brainer.

I did a Cagewrx cage and absolutely love it. Very well constructed and super easy to put together. I did the weld up kit.

Comp, I appreciate the feedback. I don’t understand why Polaris would skimp out on a huge safety part such as the cage but I guess it got someone’s approval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
The stock cages are are made for low speed to overs and that's about it. I've done many, many custom race cages and several cageworks cages which are a great design and fit. Spend the money on the cage. It could save your life someday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock cages are are made for low speed to overs and that's about it. I've done many, many custom race cages and several cageworks cages which are a great design and fit. Spend the money on the cage. It could save your life someday.

Thanks Marc, I will defiantly get one, just was not sure how soon.

·
Registered
629 Posts

Thanks Marc, I will defiantly get one, just was not sure how soon.

How soon?
I would say before your next ride but that's just my opinion. To answer your first question, no the S cages are not any stronger.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
IMO the stock Turbo S cage is better than the previous XP and XPT cages. With that being said I wouldn't bet my life on one. Here are two incidents I know of where the stock cage held up in a very bad crash.

The first crash I read about in one of my local Rzr forums. Two inexperienced riders took a corner too fast and went off the side of the road. The machine rolled numerous times 150 feet down a desert mountain side. The stock cage held up and stayed intact only bending the front passenger side top in a small amount.

The second crash from someone in my riding group. He was going very fast down a power line road. The speed was approximately 75 mph when the something in the right rear of the machine broke. It caused the tire to come up and hit the bottom of the fender and launched the machine end over several times. The whole machine was totaled but both people walked away with only some bruises. The stock cage was intact and it hit several times very hard on the hard pack road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The S cages are much stronger than the previous Rzr cages. With that being said I wouldn't bet my life on one. Here are two incidents I know of where the stock cage held up in a very bad crash.

The first crash I read about in one of my local Rzr forums. Two inexperienced riders took a corner too fast and went off the side of the road. The machine rolled numerous times 150 feet down a desert mountain side. The stock cage held up and stayed intact only bending the front passenger side top in a small amount.

The second crash from someone in my riding group. He was going very fast down a power line road. The speed was approximately 75 mph when the something in the right rear of the machine broke. It caused the tire to come up and hit the bottom of the fender and launched the machine end over several times. The whole machine was totaled but both people walked away with only some bruises. The stock cage was intact and it hit several times very hard on the hard pack road.

Edge, thank for for actually reading my post. It’s good to know they are much stronger. I do plan on replacing with a stronger/safer aftermarket cage but just not yet. I ride very safe with my wife and 2 little boys (2 and 3 yrs old) which are both in bump seats from UTV Giant. I know that stuff can still go wrong or someone else crashing into us, but that can happen to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
The new cages ARE NOT any stronger than previous cages. The same thin material. The same crappy welds (that they have already had a recall on). If you want to take a chance and keep the stock cage that’s fine but please stop giving false information that could affect someone else’s life. I’m glad that you know of a couple rollovers that came out ok. I know of a couple that didn’t come out so good for the occupants. Thankfully most people never find out how crappy the stock cage is.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I am not arguing with you and edited my first post as to not give any false information about the stock cage. The OP asked if anyone knew of any roll over crashes and I simply told him about the two that I knew of. One being someone I personally know. I am sure there have been crashes where the stock cage has failed but I have personally not seen or heard of any myself.
The post recall cage is completely redesigned and nothing like the previous one. If you look at both side by side they are put together very different. Does this make one stronger than the other who knows. They may use the same materiel I don't really know. What I was saying IMO is the Turbo S cage is better than the stock cage that came on previous XP and XPT machines.

THAT BEING SAID I also said I wouldn't bet my life on it and would replace it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I feel if you're going to do anything aside from putt around the property at slow speeds or slowly cruise around flat ground an aftermarket cage is important. I put one on my last rzr and it made a huge difference in chassis stiffness as others have mentioned. My doors moved less when flexing the suspension. I wouldnt trust the OEM rops system in anything more than a slow speed tip on flat ground. I've had my RS1 out once since buying it in December, mainly because a new cage isnt in the budget at the moment. Cage, harness(es), seat(s)and helmets are important for anyone planning on driving their machine to it full potential SAFELY. To me, just knowing what the OEM system tends to do in an accident is enough to deter me from being able to open my machine up comfortably until a better cage is installed along with a 5 point harness.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been reading so much about stock cages being unsafe - to the point of making you feel negligent for even taking the risk!

I Was about to pull the trigger last week, even though I love the look of the new machine, but out of a pure safety concern we were starting to feel after seeing this talked about so much.

I started to do a lot of research 1st talking with friends, discussing on forums, consulting with my dealer, etc.

I have found numerous incidents of actual rollovers where the cage absolutely did its job!!
I have personally watched an 800 stock cage hold up in a roll also.

While I absolutely do not question a custom cage being stronger and even safer, I feel that the market is so big and such a money maker that the actual risk is nowhere near what it is hyped up to be! I see post after post in forum after forum where a manufacturer or vendor is posting about how unsafe it is, but they have a vested interest to scare you.

I do not question blame people for making the upgrade at all, if I just had the money to throw, I probably would have just done it. But after dropping over 30k on the new machine, it's a stretch at this time!

For us, we've concluded the average rider is safe while using the machine, and the day we roll our machine, we will absolutely upgrade, I would never trust OEM cage on a second roll, but I really strongly feel the safety issue is blown out of proportion!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been reading so much about stock cages being unsafe - to the point of making you feel negligent for even taking the risk!

I Was about to pull the trigger last week, even though I love the look of the new machine, but out of a pure safety concern we were starting to feel after seeing this talked about so much.

I started to do a lot of research 1st talking with friends, discussing on forums, consulting with my dealer, etc.

I have found numerous incidents of actual rollovers where the cage absolutely did its job!!
I have personally watched an 800 stock cage hold up in a roll also.

While I absolutely do not question a custom cage being stronger and even safer, I feel that the market is so big and such a money maker that the actual risk is nowhere near what it is hyped up to be! I see post after post in forum after forum where a manufacturer or vendor is posting about how unsafe it is, but they have a vested interest to scare you.

I do not question blame people for making the upgrade at all, if I just had the money to throw, I probably would have just done it. But after dropping over 30k on the new machine, it's a stretch at this time!

For us, we've concluded the average rider is safe while using the machine, and the day we roll our machine, we will absolutely upgrade, I would never trust OEM cage on a second roll, but I really strongly feel the safety issue is blown out of proportion!
I wouldn't wait till first rollover. I've seen pictures of turbo s on here with stock cage ripped off. I don't think it's overblown. Might just depend on how the machine rolled and the weight in it at the time. The picture of the TS with the cage ripped off, well he died.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I am a fan of window nets along with other obvious safety equipment on utv cars that see high speeds.
More travel and power lets you hit it hard with a small miscalculation.

·
SandRat
23 Posts
I just bought a Turbo S 2-seat, won't even take it home until they put a new cage on - race cage made from Ivan Stewart Motorsports/Polaris in San Diego (intrusion bars are a must). I have a 2016 turbo 2-seat with the same Ivan cage from 2016 (again before I took it home).

That 2016 cage helped me survive a 3x endo roll-over in Glamis (along w/ 5-point fixed seat belts - never retractable). That cage also survived a complete witch's eye ripping my front driver suspension clean off the car (with a 3/4 roll over). It is still perfect today and I don't hesitate to run the car (after other repairs of course!).

Get a good cage w/ intrusion bars and fixed seat belts. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Anyone that skimps on a cage is a crazy man! Especially the op that says he is putting his wife and both kids in the RZR with him. If you wait until your "first" rollover it may be your last just to save a couple Grand. Definitely not worth the risk in my eyes especially if you are putting your kids in it. Too me that's like putting a 3 year old in a car without a car seat and just asking for problems. You may be a safe rider but what about that loose cannons on the trails doing 70 that has put a 30 pack away that day. You Should be more worried about the people around you riding because you cannot control that. As the op said himself a bad wreck can happen to anyone. Why risk it I ask? You have a 30+ grand machine. What's another 2500 for a cage and harness's? I just don't how people talk themselves into not doing safety items.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So is it possible that an aftermarket cage (that is a bad design) is more prone to failure than a thinner metal stock cage? How is one supposed to believe that just because the aftermarket cage is a thicker metal, it’s safer? There is hundreds of cage manufacturers out there. From the big players to local shops. I’m not an engineer and I’m sure many cage builders are not either.

I agree that a PROPERLY designed aftermarket cage is stronger and safer but like I said earlier.... how the hell does one choose a cage? Im good with spending 2-3k on a nice and safe cage, roof and windshield but I want to know that me and my family are truly safe.

I would imagine that the engineers and welders at Polaris are not just some joe-smo that took one welding/engineering class at the local community college. I’m not arguing with anyone’s opinions, so please don’t attack like a starving lion. My OP was just some questions I had.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree that a PROPERLY designed aftermarket cage is stronger and safer but like I said earlier.... how the hell does one choose a cage? Im good with spending 2-3k on a nice and safe cage, roof and windshield but I want to know that me and my family are truly safe.

Go with someone that designs and makes race cages like Houser racing for example.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts