Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

STM secondary stuck on shaft XTP

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Max H 
#1 ·
My STM secondary is stuck on the shaft. Drowned it in Kroil and left on for over 24 hrs and it won't budge even with a slide hammer. Have the secondary puller from SMT and no luck. Tried beating it with dead blow hammer and nothing. Also tried using a heat gun to hear the secondary and primary up.

Any other recommended ways?

#4 ·
Have seen an old sled trick where you hydro it off..... They lay the sled on its side, fill the hole with water, then use the puller. Hard with a RZR , so maybe try filling the hole with grease and try the same thing.

#8 ·
Well now im bummed, i was interested in adding a new tool to the tool box. lol! Serious as hell

I personally havent had to deal with a stuck secondary yet.

#9 ·
That's a tough one.... Spoke to some one about it and a small burr on the spline can make it tough. Here is a suggestion from a buddy that runs one.... Careful not to mess up your trans, but.... Couple of 2x4's cut to a wedge, tap them in between the case and the drive to create some tension. Go back to the slide hammer, but you have to make sure you can get a solid pull, no tire movement that will absorb the impact of the pull.

#10 ·
Suspect the shaft splines have worn into the clutch body. Try locking the rear wheels, step on brakes hard may do it. Then force turn the secondary backwards from normal rotation. If aligned correct, might slide off easy. Suspect you have been running a very aggressive clutch kit causing the harder steel shaft to wear the softer clutch material. It is not going to be reusable at any rate. Might just have to cut it off.

#11 ·
My STM secondary is stuck on the shaft. Drowned it in Kroil and left on for over 24 hrs and it won't budge even with a slide hammer. Have the secondary puller from SMT and no luck. Tried beating it with dead blow hammer and nothing. Also tried using a heat gun to hear the secondary and primary up.

Any other recommended ways?
Do you have any pictures of secondary it would be interesting to view?

#13 ·
You’re probably going to need a new secondary, I would try 2 ball ping Hammers position one hammer on the clutch and ping it hammer to hammer get somebody to pull it at the same time. Or find some type of Puller that can take grip on your clutch and put some kind of washer on your The shaft so it doesn’t ruin your threads.My 2 cents good luck

#16 ·
The puller I got from STM threads onto the threads on the secondary and the pin is supposed to push it out but the pill it’s already getting worn out at the tip. I’m using a high torque Milwaukee impact I think it’s 1400 lbs and it won’t budge free . Been soaking it in Kroil for 2 days already adding more into the shaft and putting the cap from stm to get more oil in, also jacked the rzr on the side so it can hold more oil inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.