Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the steering wheel center cap on my 2018 and found that the factory steering wheel does not have any holes (threaded or otherwise) for the 2 outboard screws found on all pullers. Also read on this forum to NEVER whack the column shaft with a hammer (to loosen/remove a steering wheel) on units with EPS, otherwise risk damaging the EPS unit.

How the heck does on remove the steering wheel on these things?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nut loosened but still on, pull up while wiggling slightly side to side. First time off is always the hardest. Max

·
Registered
131 Posts
Service manual states the correct process which is to remove the bolts holding the steering column to the frame and then the pinch bolt holding the shaft to the EPS unit . Clamp the bracket into the bench vise and take the wheel off. Don't risk damaging the EPS unit working on that steering wheel still attached to the EPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Service manual states the correct process which is to remove the bolts holding the steering column to the frame and then the pinch bolt holding the shaft to the EPS unit . Clamp the bracket into the bench vise and take the wheel off. Don't risk damaging the EPS unit working on that steering wheel still attached to the EPS.
that makes sense given what I've encountered so far.

Even when trying to loosen the column nut it would not loosen smoothly - sort of popped/snapped with each turn of the wrench...now I'm concerned I messed up the EPS unit. Only loosened a little more than 1 thread on the column and then tightened back up and took it out for a short spin to try to see if the EPS was mess up. Seemed normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No outboard screws? Can you post a picture? Are you trying to use a UTVinc style puller or an automotive type puller?

let's see if this pic posts correctly...? oops, darn thing is sideways, nevertheless you can see it's only a shaft with a 24mm nut - no threaded holes for the puller to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
All I can say is wow. I wouldn't have believed it without the picture. Looks like you're going to have to pull the shaft out of the vehicle and put it in a vice like the manual says.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
My 900s has the threaded holes and they did nothing. The nut holding the wheel was so tight I thought I was going to snap the steering column when I tried to loosen it. Removed the column and it took 2 people over and hour soaking the splines with blaster to get the wheel off.
New wheel and quick release is nice but it was a bitch to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. I was pulling the wheel just to straighten - no nice replacement at this point. This isn’t worth all the extra effort.

Just hope I didn’t do something to the EPS unit when I was trying to loosed the nut...?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm sure the EPS is fine. If it works now you're good. Polaris must have a reason for putting the steering wheels on off center. I've never seen one from the factory straight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just drilled into the plastic with a bit slightly smaller than normal steering wheel puller bolts. Snugged them in real good then just used puller like you would if there had been factory holes. No muss no fuss. There are holes in the plastic but I was replacing so didn't care and the steering wheel cap covers the area anyhow.

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
I'm sure the EPS is fine. If it works now you're good. Polaris must have a reason for putting the steering wheels on off center. I've never seen one from the factory straight.
That is funny you say that, Have bought 6 new rzrs and all off center, BUT just purchased Turbo S and dead on, I think they took some pride in these builds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of tricks I found for getting the steering wheel nut off:

Apply a bit of heat. Polaris uses red loctite (or equivalent) when assembling, and it comes off so much easier when you use a heat gun to warm it up a bit.

Also, I ran a tie strap through the steering wheel to my cage so that I was pulling against the strap rather than putting pressure on the steering linkage when loosening the bolt.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If it's stuck... gonna be some carnage. Youtube showed a guy whacking the column nut and the wheel came right off. Bwhahahahaa. I was a sucker. Tried to upgrade my wheel and that whacking technique didn't work. Got a 2 jaw puller and obliterated the wheel. Drilled holes and put bolts and washers on it. Ended up pulling the plastic molded wheel off the spline insert that was made into the part. Ended up using a bearing splitter to get the reminant of the wheel off the shaft spline... see the process here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrYbsi-Fz9Y/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve taken lots of steering wheels off with the wack it method. what I do is loosen the nut off so it’s flush with the end of the steering shaft so when you hit it, it doesn’t damage the thread then I sit in the seat put my knees under the wheel and push up and pull down on the top with my other hand then hit the end of the shaft nice and flat and the wheel will pop right off. You usually don’t have to hit too hard.
Quick and easy, just make sure your aim is on.....Lol

Todd

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I’ve taken lots of steering wheels off with the wack it method. what I do is loosen the nut off so it’s flush with the end of the steering shaft so when you hit it, it doesn’t damage the thread then I sit in the seat put my knees under the wheel and push up and pull down on the top with my other hand then hit the end of the shaft nice and flat and the wheel will pop right off. You usually don’t have to hit too hard.
Quick and easy, just make sure your aim is on.....Lol

Todd
I'd try that with a manual steering model, but not a power steerer. Too many people have trashed their EPS that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A couple of tricks I found for getting the steering wheel nut off:

Apply a bit of heat. Polaris uses red loctite (or equivalent) when assembling, and it comes off so much easier when you use a heat gun to warm it up a bit.

Also, I ran a tie strap through the steering wheel to my cage so that I was pulling against the strap rather than putting pressure on the steering linkage when loosening the bolt.
Good idea securing the steering wheel to the cage. Will have to try that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Funny you say that. Did an alignment on mine on an alignment rack and the wheel stayed on center for 300 miles, now it is back to not straight with no other effects on handling. Chalked it up to 'tis a silly machine and let it go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts