Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I loosened up a few of the bolts that are in that area attaching to various plates and brackets hoping I could get my clearance by committee.

While fooling around with it, I noticed what appeared to be a shim on the passenger side only. Photos attached.... this appears to be just about the amount that I need to get it to line up. Im thinking of pulling it and going on about my business but I want to check with yall to be sure I'm not about to really screw something up.

EDIT.... that "shim" attaches to the rack. Cancel the removal of that, lol

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Don't loosen the rack, check to make sure where the stabilizer sits is flat and nothing is preventing it from going flush. If so start to tighten the bolts of the stabilizer on the passenger side and it should align. It's critical that everything aligns perfectly otherwise it will put the rack in a bind and the steering will be harder.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
You updated while I was posting LOL. The part you called a "shim" is it part of the rack mount?

Edit: I checked the Polaris parts diagram and it does not show it as integral to the rack. Can you remove it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You updated while I was posting LOL. The part you called a "shim" is it part of the rack mount?
Yes, it is part of the plate that the rack mounts to. The stabilizer body is sitting flush and nice. I cant so much as get a tiny wobble out of it no matter where I press on it.

I'm trying to get it all to line up nice before I tighten anything. The drivers side is butter the passenger side isnt close enough to even assemble it in a bind. The bolt has zero chance of starting to thread on like it is, even pulling on the other components trying to force it.

Even if I pull the arm bracket off of the drivers side there still isn't enough slack to get the passenger side started.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Call Sandcraft....
Just did, ive sent photos and am waiting a call back

I don't think I've ever in the history of ever installed an aftermarket part on anything and had it work and fit correctly right out of the box the first time.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I thought you mentioned that bushing on the passenger side could be replaced ...did you ever find out if SXS bushings makes a replacement? Is the bushing poly or metal ?
I just got the word from James @ Performance SXS Bushing and they were going to but Polaris changes rack dimensions too often so he decided against it.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Ok thanks Joe ...I was going to call them this morning but they dont list their phone number.
Do you remember if it was a Nylatron , UHMW or metal bushing ?
I was thinking of machining one once I get the old one out.
Maybe I shouldn't worry about it but it bugs me knowing the slop is in the OEM rack

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Ok thanks Joe ...I was going to call them this morning but they dont list their phone number.
Do you remember if it was a Nylatron , UHMW or metal bushing ?
I was thinking of machining one once I get the old one out.
Maybe I shouldn't worry about it but it bugs me knowing the slop is in the OEM rack
Well..while you're at it.....

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Ok if I do make one I will make several ...I think I have the Nylatron round stock that is large enough in diameter.
I think that would be the best material since it is easily machined and will wear well?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Thanks Joe...So maybe a bronze bushing would be better / last longer ?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
@dk91105 Any word from SC on your situation?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@dk91105 Any word from SC on your situation?
Literally just got off the phone and their thought is that the rack must be bolted in at an angle. Im going to have to remove the diff to get to the nuts that are holding it in place so I can loosen them. Then see if there is enough wiggle room in there to get it lined up. If there isn't im going to mill the opening of the passenger side bracket which I really dont want to do but will as a last resort.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I would think opening the hole in the SC bracket would be a bad deal ... I would think you would want the hole diameter for the bolt shank and head to be a very close fit . With out a good fit it would loose all its strength ..I think :unsure:
Did they say if they had seen this problem before ? Will they take it back if you dont modify it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I would think opening the hole in the SC bracket would be a bad deal ... I would think you would want the hole diameter for the bolt shank and head to be a very close fit . With out a good fit it would loose all its strength ..I think :unsure:
Did they say if they had seen this problem before ? Will they take it back if you dont modify it?
He said he had seen it once before and what I explained with the rack is how they got it fixed. Im not holding my breath that it will fix it. If the rack or brace was at an angle the amount that it is off by would either get better or way worse when turned side to side at ful lock. As it is now it doesn't change a bit telling me that both pieces are running parallel to each other.

The holes aren't a "tight fit" for any of the hardware. It has to have some room to get aligned and allow for tolerances. I still don't want to create excessive amounts of it though.

He said if I mill it that it wouldn't effect the warranty. I also don't want to return it. I need this and will make it work one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
That looks like it would be a lot too mill out .... I hope you get it without having to do that .
Keep us posted

21 - 40 of 58 Posts