Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall...I need a steering rack that will hold up to this...every ride...

I've replaced it once but now my second rack is starting to slop...the grease washes out and then they go to $#!T. My first instinct is to drill and tap and put a zerk fitting on a factory one and keep that puppy pumped full of lucas heavy duty grease but would I be better off going aftermarket? If so which rack do yall recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
OMFG! Use your arms...get some oar's...

Otherwise, your idea does sound good. Your passenger could ditch the can he's drinkin and pump like crazy. (grin)

Good luck to ya!

JoG

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's our video from our last few rides...going deep...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow!

What all are you doingto keep everything water tight besides:

Raising engine intake
Rasing engine exhaust

Are you:
rasing CVT intake and exaust?

Anything else?

I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You don't need a steering rack, you need a rudder

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!

What all are you doingto keep everything water tight besides:

Raising engine intake
Rasing engine exhaust

Are you:
rasing CVT intake and exaust?

Anything else?

I appreciate your help!
The exhaust stays factory...it has enough pressure to run underwater.

CVT intake and exhaust are run up to the roof alongside the airbox snorkel

Factory airbox lid is siliconed shut every time it's opened.

Silicone behind the back (inner) belt cover where it meets the motor and tranny, then silicone the outer cover in place.

Dielectric grease every electrical connection and spark plug boot - stuff them full!

Keep everything that can be greased slap full of best grease you can afford...I use lucas xtra heavy duty cause in my experience it holds up the best against washout...

Silicone the weep hole in the back of the gauge cluster - if you don't it won't take long to ruin it...

Extend vent lines for front and rear diff, transmission, and transfer case - or even better go to your local can am dealer and purchase some bellows. Replace the vent lines with bellows - they allow the expansion and retraction of air but maintain a water tight seal.

You can't use a bellow on the fuel tank cause it has to breathe. Extend the fuel tank vent line up with your snorkels.

The radiator overflow bottle has a small hole in the cap for a vent. This will let muddy water in over time and trash your water pump seals. Drill and tap the cap and put a 90 degree hose barb fitting on it, then run a vent line up with your snorkels. Or if you've got the cash, purchase the rubberdown customs billet cap with hose fitting - beware it's expensive...

There is a check valve on the bottom of the throttle body - you can count on it to work, or plug it while riding deep, or replace it regularly to ensure proper operation...either way beware - if it fails, in comes the water...

The factory crankcase vent hose has a slit in it to allow pressure relief in case of ice buildup from condensation. This is important if you regularly run your machine for short periods of time in extremely cold climate (such as plowing) but is bad for water riding. Replace the slit crankcase vent hose with a new section of hose. Be aware you will lose the ice buildup protection the factory hose provides. If you store your machine in a heated garage or regularly bring it up to operating temperature long enough to evaporate the water you will be fine.

This is all I can think of right now...i'm sure i'll remember some other stuff and will add it as I think of it. This should probably be it's own thread...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
At least you guys know how to have a good time. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
U can always just run the throttle body check valve up with a hose up with the snorkels as well... I did!

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Are you sure that the steering racks are going out because your under water??? I spend 80% of my driving in deep mud and Alaskan rivers.. Ive never had a steering rack problem. Ive even had my power steering unit completely submerged and still zero issues? Have you checked for damage or maybe a stray rock getting in there busting something? If you've got it packed full of grease before you go out, I mean its sealed in there? did you remove the cover? Is it really hard to steer? I'm just trying to get some information because I havnt heard of this problem, Now snapping a tierod..thats one Ive heard and seen.
Let us know, mike

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike,
On the first one it just filled with mud and just flat wore out. This on e I haven't taken apart yet but it's developed some slack. I haven't done any maintenance to this rack or greased it beyond the way it came from the factory...yet. My plan is to put a grease fitting on it and pump it full of grease before each ride, but no, i'm not sure that washout is the culprit. It could have something to do with the 29.5s?? :rofl3:

It's just started to develop some slack in the steering - something I know I can fix by tightening the bushing up a bit - but this rack has only been on the machine for about 30 hours (110 miles) so i'm assuming the premature wear has to due either with grease washout or mud getting in. Either of which can be prevented by a bunch of fresh grease before each ride. It still steers easy, just has slack - also, I just realized i'm an idiot...I haven't checked the u-joints in the column for wear...I might should do that before I replace the rack...:wall:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The bushing on pass side could be coming out of place... Mine did. Causes slop and poor turning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts