Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. Other than looks, why are so many quick to replace the stock steel wheels for alloy one? Especially when just riding the trails. The alloys aren't that much lighter. I've known of cases where when hitting a rock or such the alloys can crack whereas steel wheel would just bend, but still able to get back to camp.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Just a tid bit of info....

According to my Rebco Race Scales:

Stock steel wheels 12x6 & 12x8:

Front 10lbs
Rear 11.4lbs

Stock aluminum LE wheels 12x6 & 12x8:

Front 8.6lbs
Rear 9.8lbs

Ancla 25x8x12 & 25x10x12 tire & steel wheel:

Front 25.4lbs
Rear 32.8lbs

Ancla & Aluminum LE wheel:

Front 24lbs
Rear 31.2lbs

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a tid bit of info....

According to my Rebco Race Scales:

Stock steel wheels 12x6 & 12x8:

Front 10lbs
Rear 11.4lbs

Stock aluminum LE wheels 12x6 & 12x8:

Front 8.6lbs
Rear 9.8lbs

Ancla 25x8x12 & 25x10x12 tire & steel wheel:

Front 25.4lbs
Rear 32.8lbs

Ancla & Aluminum LE wheel:

Front 24lbs
Rear 31.2lbs
Thanks for the figures!

OK, then a savings of 6 lbs for a cost of about what; $1000 for alloy wheels? Doesn't seem worth it for a trail rider, especially since many put so many other assessories that add a lot more weight than that.

So what about the durability of steel vs. alloy?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think most people do it because they think the wheels are alot lighter.. but i also think alot of people just like the looks.. some wheels are pretty damn sweet looking. The black steel wheels are just blah but 400 bucks for new wheels is i dunno kinda high really.. I was lookng to get new wheels for my 570 and i didnt wanna lose any power so i searched and searched and unless you spent insane amounts of money the steel wheels weighed the same or just a little heavier. But they look like a bag of ass!

I went with maxxis 4-speed tires and the setup gave me and inch wider and taller all around at about the same weight as stock and the tread pattern really works for my riding not alot of mud... but i was in some mud the other day and they performed pretty well.... I used all the money I saved not buying wheels on a mirror, and a tusk storage bag the one that hangs between the seats and it's pretty sweet. oh yeah i even sprang for the real polaris lock and ride storage thing for the cargo bed and that thing pretty much kicks ass too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts