Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an intermittent problem with my 2015 RZR 900 Trail. Sometimes it starts normally but then immediately dies. It will do this a varying number of times then start and idle and run fine. It’s been doing it with increasing frequency. If I push on the gas when it’s trying to start it doesn’t help but if immediately after it starts and before it dies I hit the gas it will rev and then run normally but not every time. I hear the fuel pump charging when I turn the key. I tried cycling the key off and on a few times before starting but it didn’t help. The air filter's clean and I don't see any loose hoses.

Anybody got any ideas to share?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Is the fuel pump building pressure and shutting off after a few seconds? You should check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It should maintain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I know for sure is that it comes on when I turn the key on. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but this isn't the first time I've wanted one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I’m having an intermittent problem with my 2015 RZR 900 Trail. Sometimes it starts normally but then immediately dies. It will do this a varying number of times then start and idle and run fine. It’s been doing it with increasing frequency. If I push on the gas when it’s trying to start it doesn’t help but if immediately after it starts and before it dies I hit the gas it will rev and then run normally but not every time. I hear the fuel pump charging when I turn the key. I tried cycling the key off and on a few times before starting but it didn’t help. The air filter's clean and I don't see any loose hoses.

Anybody got any ideas to share?
If I recall correctly, this is one of the issues that happens when your valves need adjusted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a definite possibility. I don't think it's ever done it when it's cold so excessive valve clearance when it warms up would make sense. I bought it new and I've never looked at them. I'll need to look up how that's done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have aftermarket exhaust ? I HAD one on my pro Xp, had it on for about 3 months, last week it started doing exactly as you described, I checked everything over in a 2 day tear the whole F’n apart fiasco, I dropped a socket on the ground by the exhaust, when I picked it up I looked at the muffler outlet and found the spark arrester had a hole in it, it came apart, so with no back pressure made it harder than hell to start. Put stock back on, starts normally, waiting on new spark arrester to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have aftermarket exhaust ? I HAD one on my pro Xp, had it on for about 3 months, last week it started doing exactly as you described, I checked everything over in a 2 day tear the whole F’n apart fiasco, I dropped a socket on the ground by the exhaust, when I picked it up I looked at the muffler outlet and found the spark arrester had a hole in it, it came apart, so with no back pressure made it harder than hell to start. Put stock back on, starts normally, waiting on new spark arrester to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
Good thought and thanks but my rig is bone stock. Interestingly, I used it a lot this weekend and it started and ran fine. I hate intermittent problems.

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,224 Posts
How many miles or hours on it, and when was the last time you had the valve clearance adjusted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles or hours on it, and when was the last time you had the valve clearance adjusted?
I'm not sure exactly but probably about 1700 hours and I've never adjusted the valves. Someone else mentioned that too and it makes sense. I plan to look into how to adjust them and do so but haven't found the time yet.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts