Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It turned over fine this morning but I let off the key before it started.. when I tried again all I got was a clicking sound. Battery is at full charge. I tried it a bunch more times with the clicking sound and then it finally turned over and started... any ideas about the clicking would be much appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe check all electrical connections including grounds. I have had that happen a few times with cars/trucks that have side post batteries. Corrosion builds up between the battery and the cable behind the rubber boot so you can't see it. RZR's being offroad machines see a lot of mud, water, sand, etc., and can make for bad connections. Next to check would be the starter solenoid.

·
In His service!
357 Posts
Maybe check all electrical connections including grounds. I have had that happen a few times with cars/trucks that have side post batteries. Corrosion builds up between the battery and the cable behind the rubber boot so you can't see it. RZR's being offroad machines see a lot of mud, water, sand, etc., and can make for bad connections. Next to check would be the starter solenoid.
x2 on the soleniod... that was happening on my 09 and everything was tight, etc...they couldn't diagnose it until they actually had it at the shop when it happened. It was a faulty solenoid.:ride:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I was begining to think that I was the only one that ever had a starting problem:rofl3: Thanks for the replies. I would imagine that I could jump the soleniod if it quit all together one day??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 2010 RZR. You would move the harness behind the key switch and it die. Move it a little,then it would start. What it was a pin in the harness that went to the key switch. No problem now with 265 miles on it. Hope this helps you and anyone else.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Thanks guys, I was begining to think that I was the only one that ever had a starting problem:rofl3: Thanks for the replies. I would imagine that I could jump the soleniod if it quit all together one day??
Not likely. Usually, the trouble with the solenoid is internal. (if that is where the problem lies) There is a set of heavy copper terminals inside of a solenoid that sometimes get corroded or arced too bad to make a good connection to pass the current on to the starter motor. If you can feel the starter motor clicking (you'll need someone to turn the keyswitch back and forth while you put your fingers on the starter motor, mid ship, left side of engine) Then your problem is there, and the solenoid looks like it is integral with the starter. If you tap the starter firmly with a wodden hammer handle or a big stick, you can likely get it started. If that is your problem area, then get it fixed ASAP, as it will eventually fail to the point of no return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts