Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then all I get is a clicking sound when trying to start. If I tap on the solenoid it will start. Does anyone know of an after market one that will work for my 08. One off a garden tractor or small car, something to that effect. Does one of the vendors have these?? Thanks!!:pint:

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Not trying to be a smart azz or anthing, but RZR's don't have a starter solenoid to the best of my knowledge.........they have a Bendix drive.

These are used on most side by sides, jet skis, and many other powersport vehicles. Instead of a pinion gear engaging the fly wheel by way of electrical current (and they sometimes stick), it is a sort of one way clutch that engages when the starter motor turns, thereby turning it.

They are bench testable once you remove it. A/M ones are $50 on ebay. The syptom you would most likely experience would be a whirring sound when starting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to be a smart azz or anthing, but RZR's don't have a starter solenoid to the best of my knowledge.........they have a Bendix drive.

These are used on most side by sides, jet skis, and many other powersport vehicles. Instead of a pinion gear engaging the fly wheel by way of electrical current (and they sometimes stick), it is a sort of one way clutch that engages when the starter motor turns, thereby turning it.

They are bench testable once you remove it. A/M ones are $50 on ebay. The syptom you would most likely experience would be a whirring sound when starting.
Same here.. not being a smart azz but yup they sure do.. right behind the battery you will see it. Looks the same as a regular old ford or chevy one only smaller. That is why I ask if one off a small acreage tractor or small car will work. They are not complicated units, signal in from ignition switch to activate and then 12 volts straight through from battery to starter motor which turns the seperate bendix drive that you talk about. :pint:

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
like I said, to the best of my knowledge, and sometimes my knowledge sucks azz.

I see it now, seperate unit unlike alot of modern starters with piggybacked solenoids. Wow, that thing is going way back. Btw, $40 plus S&H on Babbitts website.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I see it now, seperate unit unlike alot of modern starters with piggybacked solenoids. Wow, that thing is going way back. Btw, $40 plus S&H on Babbitts website.
Hey man.. no worries, what would the world be like if everone knew everything..we wouldn't need this awsome forum..right! and that would suck azz huge!!!!
Thanks for the link.. I may need to use it but I am still hoping to find a cross over to a small auto solenoid as it would most likely be in the $20 range (do i sound cheap?? I hope so!!:hat1:) :pint:

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts

Hey man.. no worries, what would the world be like if everone knew everything..we wouldn't need this awsome forum..right! and that would suck azz huge!!!!
Thanks for the link.. I may need to use it but I am still hoping to find a cross over to a small auto solenoid as it would most likely be in the $20 range (do i sound cheap?? I hope so!!:hat1:) :pint:
Nah! That aint cheap! You're just trying to free up $20 dollars to blow somewhere else on your RZR!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Big C
As it turns out I haven't had a lick of trouble from it since i posted this... but in saying that i just teased the tiger no doubt. I am off to get me a replacement tomorrow. Cheers :pint:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, once the winch started doing it too I cleaned out all the muskeg and the positive lead was a tiny bit loose on the battery. Have to tighten it up once and awhile. But mine was going in and out like that and now seems fine....damn i better get one now too, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts