Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a question and have also searched all the posts on sputtering.

My RZR is a 2008. I just had the top end rebuild at Jorgensen Honda in Richfield Utah. This problem is something I have never seen before. When riding steep, rough terrain I have had my engine sputter 2 times. After the sputter it runs fine.

One time it was missing pretty good after a long ride and I checked the voltage and it was low 11.3 volts and the voltage regulator was hot. It would not reach voltage of more that 11.7. After the voltage regulator cooled it would reach 14.1. The battery connections are clean and tight, the air filter a Dragon Fire/Donaldson unit. The oil level is full.

Today after a hard ride on Moab's "Hells Revenge Trail" I stopped at the entrance station and talked with the guy there. When I started the machine is sputtered and died. It took a couple of tries to restart the engine and the smell of raw fuel. After starting it ran fine just like before.

Unfortunately the dealer is several hundred mile behind my current track.

I also have the voltage regulator relocation harness but it is at my home and I am not.

I had a fuel pump go bad a few years ago but the symptoms were different from what I am experiencing now.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Arlan

·
<<< My personal RZR jack
612 Posts
''I also have the voltage regulator relocation harness but it is at my home and I am not.''

Relocate your regulator from behind your seat to the front near the rad and you should be fine. As you said, you were reading low voltage and it was sputtering right there. Do the mods and see...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
''I also have the voltage regulator relocation harness but it is at my home and I am not.''

Relocate your regulator from behind your seat to the front near the rad and you should be fine. As you said, you were reading low voltage and it was sputtering right there. Do the mods and see...
Thanks for the reply, but that is not exactly what I said. I said after a hard ride it was missing and the voltage was low. The sputter happens and I check the voltage and it is good. Say 12.5 volts with engine not running and the will increase to 14.0 volts when I start it. The problem is there when the machine is hot though so it could be a voltage regulator problem. The relocation will have wait another couple of weeks until I get back home.

I have an Optima 625 "reserve" battery installed. All I need to do is hook up the positive cable if the machine fails. I might just hook it up in the morning before the days ride and see if it is better. I have a friend with his own RZR coming along tomorrow. I usually ride alone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have experienced the same symptoms. I have an '08 rzr and I have installed the relocation harness. Seems to be at its worse when uphill on rough terrain. Other than that runs great.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have experienced the same symptoms. I have an '08 rzr and I have installed the relocation harness. Seems to be at its worse when uphill on rough terrain. Other than that runs great.[/QUOT

Exactly! I rode again yesterday. Rough and smooth Steep terrain. Thankfully it does not seem to do it when climbing. The symptoms are after a hard workout and going slow I will start smelling fuel. Then it will either sputter a little or maybe not. It seems that if I shut the engine off when I start smelling fuel it will sputter on start-up, then stop sputtering and run fine. We rode the North and South side of "Fins & Things" yesterday. What a hoot!!

·
&#9668;&#9658;STARS & STRIPES&#9668;&#9658;
3,832 Posts
Ok how does the relocation kit help the voltage go up? Mine is reading in the 11's usually 11.5 to 11.7?

I'm working a few threads trying to gather info on my sputtering issue. never messed w/ TPS have new fuel pump & fresh fuel. Engine properly rebuilt& runs awesome , exception to sputtering & occasional stalling at idle? odd?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ok how does the relocation kit help the voltage go up? Mine is reading in the 11's usually 11.5 to 11.7?

I'm working a few threads trying to gather info on my sputtering issue. never messed w/ TPS have new fuel pump & fresh fuel. Engine properly rebuilt& runs awesome , exception to sputtering & occasional stalling at idle? odd?
Mine was bouncing all over the place from low 11's to 14. I relocated mine to the front and it got a little better but still bounced around. I did notice what I called surging while at a steady throttle. So I replaced my regulator and it was when I noticed that my ground to my battery wasn't totally tight. I removed it cleaned and reinstalled the cable and BOOM!!! no issues since.

·
3,832 Posts

Mine was bouncing all over the place from low 11's to 14. I relocated mine to the front and it got a little better but still bounced around. I did notice what I called surging while at a steady throttle. So I replaced my regulator and it was when I noticed that my ground to my battery wasn't totally tight. I removed it cleaned and reinstalled the cable and BOOM!!! no issues since.
Thanks, i'm working mine right now.. Good stuff :)

·
Registered
5,595 Posts

When the regulator gets hot it drops the voltage output and you are running on battery reserves. The battery can go so low the unit will start sputtering and eventually die. Relocate to the front makes a world of difference. A must do mod. Reach behind the drivers seat and feel the temp. of the regulator after running. It can get very hot.

A TPS check on an 2008 is a really good ideal. Most of my bad running in our 2008 was due to the voltage regulator and low voltage, fixed with relocation. The main wire harness into the ECU. Pull it apart and loosing up all the wires into the harness connector. Then support the harness to remove the weight from the connector. Last is the TPS adjustment. After the first two are taken care of, the TPS will require checking/adjustment when the engine starts acting up. Three things that experience taught me with one of the very first 2008.

·
3,832 Posts

When the regulator gets hot it drops the voltage output and you are running on battery reserves. The battery can go so low the unit will start sputtering and eventually die. Relocate to the front makes a world of difference. A must do mod. Reach behind the drivers seat and feel the temp. of the regulator after running. It can get very hot.

A TPS check on an 2008 is a really good ideal. Most of my bad running in our 2008 was due to the voltage regulator and low voltage, fixed with relocation. The main wire harness into the ECU. Pull it apart and loosing up all the wires into the harness connector. Then support the harness to remove the weight from the connector. Last is the TPS adjustment. After the first two are taken care of, the TPS will require checking/adjustment when the engine starts acting up. Three things that experience taught me with one of the very first 2008.
LOL, Thanks again my friend, take a read at the new "Im a Moron thread" I just posted.:rofl2:

Im looking into relocation right after I get back (gotta go plow).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts